Electro-Harmonix Good Vibes

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rollyfoster, Apr 10, 2015.

1. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

Picked one of these up today without knowing anything about it. Apparently they just came out this year. It sounds pretty good to me. I put it up against the microvibe and MXR univibe they had and the EH was way more...extreme...I guess. Also has the option for an expression pedal to control speed or intensity.

Really good price at like 140. Anybody else try one yet?

2. rollyfoster

If anyone is interested in this one, I took it to a gig on saturday and it was awesome.

3. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

I'd love to hear more stories of how this pedal fit into a rig.

Question. Since you gigged it. How did it sit in the mix and how versatile was it? I'm in the handful of people that likes a modern univibe clone that is well-priced and sits well in a modern mix rather than just copying Hendrix tones. So far the best choices have been the MXR Univibe and VL Micro.

Would love to know how this one fit.

4. rollyfoster

I haven't had a vibe in a loooooong time but I think this one is pretty modern compared to the MXR "univibe" and the micro-vibe i compared it to in the shop. It matched their full-tilt settings maybe like 1/3 of the way up, if that.

Turn everything up and it sounds like robot spaceships are landing. It can do the Hendrix/Gilmour thing for sure but it will go way beyond that, too. There is a lot of range in this one. The expression pedal option is cool because you can choose to control speed or intensity and make things reallly weird.

It sounded great in the rig. It was a little more pronounced with the overdrive happening and i got some really thick and full sounds with a compressor after it. I'm really happy with it so far, especially for the price.

5. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

Yes! Keep that INTENSITY knob very low for normal Uni-Vibe sounds.

6. larold

larold Member

I got one and almost immediately returned it. It's definitely a modern take on a vibe, with boosted bass and treble and scooped mids. If you're looking for a vintage vibe tone, look elsewhere.

7. seiko

seiko Member

Robot spaceships reference makes this way more interesting. **** sounding like Robin Trower, that was like 100 years ago.

8. Semitone

Semitone Member

I finally picked one up for myself. I have been wanting a Univibe type pedal for a little while but the Drybell Vibe Machine, which really sounded nice in the demos was just out of my price range for the limited use I expect the pedal to get.

Here are my initial impressions.

1.) It doesn't work with any of my 9V adapters even though the unit says 9V. It lights up and looks fine but it just doesn't do anything to the audio signal. I tried three adapters that all work fine with my other 9V pedals ( both analog and digital).

2.) The adapter that comes with it says 9.6V. The unit works fine with the included power supply.

3.) I get a full range of use out of the intensity knob. It doesn't turn into anything like noise when intensity is turned up, although I think it sounds better when the knob is somewhere between 9 and 3. Speed also works fine but when it is turned all the way up it just gives me a headache. It is a rather subdued spaceship sound.

4.) It sounds fine( aka nice) with my strat and single coils. It doesn't like my LP humbuckers ( which are relatively low output classic 57s) It seems to get driven into a nasty clipping with the humbuckers.

Overall the unit seems to be pretty finicky. I guess that what makes it authentically 60's.

I haven't tried the expression pedal control yet.

I still need a lot of time to play with it given the touchiness of the PS and inputs. Anybody else have these issues? Is the tolerance of the components in the Good Vibes sufficiently wide that every unit is quirky in its own way?

9. strat68

strat68 Member

I don't think EH power jacks work the same as Boss/Roland style pedals. I don't know if it's reverse polarity or positive ground (I've read up, but could never remember what the difference is). I had similar issues with one of the nano pedals:

http://www.ehx.com/forums/viewthread/2957/

10. Semitone

Semitone Member

I've had a little more time to play with the Good Vibes and here are my latest thoughts.

1.) I do like it and am happy with it. I saw a review a little while back and somebody really panned this pedal and pretty much said it was a total POS. I disagree. I can't quite remember where the video is or I would try to be more specific about why I disagree with the previous review.

2.) I tried it with the humbuckers on my PRS Custom 24 ( 59/09) and it works fine. I haven't gone back and tried to figure out why it wouldn't play well with my LP.

I don't have an original UniVibe to do a side by side comparison so I won't try to say how "accurate" to the original it is. I will say that it seems competitive to all the other demos I have seen with various other vibe style pedals. Between the intensity and speed controls, as well as the tone of the guitar/amp and the playing style of the demos, I find it a bit hard to form a very strong opinion of one vs the other without personally trying them. I think the playing style can really bring out or massacre the nature of this pedal because the sound of the pedal can be a strong statement in itself.

On the Good Vibes, I clearly think the chorus setting is much better than the vibrato setting. It has a great undulating throb that I think sets a Vibe apart from other pedals like a phase shifter. I find the pedal sounds better to me with the intensity set below 1 o'clock and the speed below 12 ( for the chorus setting). When switched to the vibrato setting, seems to sound better with the intensity above noon and the speed set between 10 and 1. As I mentioned the playing style can really bring out the throb or make it sound like garbage. It's like playing with another person and you just have to be in sync with it. Keeping a drone string playing really helps the throb shine. ( btw, I found unity gain to be around 2 o'clock)

I have a couple iStomp pedals and I set one up as a phaser and one as a vibrato and placed them before the Good Vibes. The phaser plays nice with the vibrato and adds a bit of a heavier swoosh to the weak vibrato IMO. It makes it usable to me. Otherwise it would be unlikely I would find a use for the the vibrato setting. That being said, if I put my istomp phaser > istomp vibrato it is just a much more pleasant sound than the istomp phaser > Good Vibes ( vibrato). The istomp vibrato just has more chime to it.

I also put a tubescreamer and fuzz both before and after the Good Vibes. Jury is still out on that one.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  11. ryuk

ryuk Member

Semitone, just wondering if you figured anything out with the power supply issue? I've seen the same comment in a few places now.

12. Semitone

Semitone Member

My unit came with the EHX 9.6V adapter. That is what I have been using and haven't given it any more thought. If I do some research and try to find an alternative I will post it here but for now I'm just sticking with the stock power supply. Sorry.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  13. BoTheMu

BoTheMu Member

Bump for more thoughts?

14. Semitone

Semitone Member

I still like it and have had no further issues. I am very happy with it. I find it as good or better than most of the online demos I see on-line for things like the microvibe, viscous vibe, MXR and most of the commonly found ones in the same price range. I saw one guy demo it versus an original Univibe and it was indistinguishable for my purposes.

All that being said, it does seem to be a neglected unit i.e. not a lot of chatter about it. Perhaps because a lot of vibe type units showed up on the market around the same time?

15. bratch

bratch Member

I'm vibe curious, so I want to try this one!

16. rollyfoster

Still using mine and it runs fine on my PP2.

17. Auditory Driving

Auditory Driving Member

Ahoy guys!

It s been a while - any more people have some opionions to offer on the Good Vibes? Is the throbe smooth enough? Is it as mid-scooped as has been previously reported? How does it work with vibes?

The few demos there are are not very informative...

Thanks in advance!!

18. Slevin

Slevin Member

[​IMG]

19. Auditory Driving

Auditory Driving Member

Lol... I meant with overdrives....

Sorry, the good vibes were overwhelming..

Semitone and Slevin like this.
  20. guitardudeness

guitardudeness Member

Something I discovered a while back:

Univibe at fast speed+Phaser at slow speed+Medium Delay with repeats and mix beyond noon+Overdrive=Spaceships landing

Auditory Driving likes this.