Electro Harmonix Hum Debugger

Discussion in 'Gear Demo Videos & Sound Clips Archive' started by 6789, Jul 21, 2008.

1. 6789

6789 Member

1960 Domino Vox Phantom copy into a BJFE Honey Bee into an Electro Harmonix Hum Debugger into a Juke 1210 recorded with a Zoom H2 two feet in front of the amp. The guitar gives a lot of hum. Even though it doesn't sound like a lot of hum on this recording, it is a lot of hum in person. The Hum Debugger gets rid of all the hum and I cannot notice any difference in the quality of the guitar sound. It sounds exactly the same to me but without the hum. I tried it on different guitars, basses, and amps and it works great on all of them. :AOK

On the clip, you first hear the pedal off - hum and then I play a little, then you hear the hum again and I turn the pedal on and the hum stops and then I play a little more. at the end I turn the pedal on and off - you can hear the hum go away. :AOK

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6738541&q=hi

2. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

A bunch of us here on TGP tried these when they first came out, and pretty much everyone had the same negative experience - it worked fine for clean tones, but when using OD either before or after the HD, it altered the tones in a very unpleasing way. Everyone sent it back. I even tried 2 of them.

Can you try it with a more intense OD tone?

3. 6789

6789 Member

Here you go. Same guitar. It's not the best guitar for lots of overdrive but it's the guitar of mine that makes the loudest hum from it's single coil pick ups.
    I'm plugged into a Boss Mega Distortion MD-2 pedal and then the Hum Debugger pedal and then into a 1979 silverface Fender Musicmaster bass amp. It's like a bigger champ. open back, 12" speaker, 2 6V6 tubes, 12 watts. I stuck a zoom H2 a few feet in front of the amp. I didn't pay any attention to find the sweet spot for recording. I was just trying to record the hum without spending lots of time on it.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6740969&q=hi

Inside the pedal the circuit board has this printed on it: EC-D14 Rev. A

Does that mean I have a newer revised pedal?
    What writing is on the inside of the pedal that people don't like?
    I've read lots of both positive and negative reviews of the pedal. I like mine.

4. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

That sounded good in terms of preserving the OD tones and removing the noise. Not at all what it sounded like when I tried the first units - it added horrible overtones - totally unusable. EH never responded to any of my inquiries either, so they lost me as a customer.

Now all my single coil guitars have fantastic noiseless pickups so it's a moot point in my setup.

Maybe your pedal is a revised unit. I couldn't tell you.

5. dksouthpaw

dksouthpaw Member

mine was great for removing the hum but it added this weird tone/extra harmonics or something that i can only relate to a very low kps mp3 file, you know when the cymbals sound all weird and there's not a full frequency range going on or something.

but playing just guitar>hum debugger>amp it was great but going through other stuff or plugging directly into a mixer it just lost any mojo my rig has.

6. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

The Rocktron Hush always did a good all around job for me.