Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 anyone have any experince with it?

gishlullmoon

every review i read is good and it says the saturation gets increased and eveyrthing is wonderful, what i heard from various reviews-clean channel is boosted without coloring it, more saturation when dirty......

does it and dirt to your clean channel or does it stay all clean.....? i don't wanna add any overdrive to my clean sound..i hate overdrive.....im looking just to get more saturation out of my distortion

does it add background noise???? where do you put it in the chain??? i hate putting it in my fx loop my amp sounds like total crap when i plug anything into it, I'm playing through a Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier. at least i think the amp sounds like crap my mind might be playing tricks on me....

i only play at basement levels so not live show levels. i don't leave the house with it. just want more saturation with no added noise on distortion channel and no more dirt when on the clean channel.......

opinions?

i know its only $40... but im low on cash my guitar is getting worked on etc.....

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
regarding amp;

Mini rec is specifically geared towards V30 speaker, and ideally a traditional sized 1x12 - what cabinet are you using?

Further;

the Mini rec doesn't really come into its own until the master volume is up around 11 o'clock. Extreme EQ's and/or extreme gain [even o the clean channel] also do not work the way or do what one might expect on something like a fender or marshall - start with everything on noon, master volume at 10 o'clock. Does this solve the problem?

regarding pedal pre vs loop;
neither should add noise unless the noise is in the pedal itself. do you want the gain of the amp to accentuate the sound of the pedal, or do you want the pedal to influence the sound of the amp? if you want the amp to accentuate the pedal - put the pedal before the input. If you want the pedal to influence the amp, put it in the loop. some effects are naturally better in the loop - reverbs, delays, that sort of thing.

Hope that helps.

My personal clean settings into a Mesa 1x12 V30 "mini rec" cabinet;
Gain 11 o'clock
Treble 2 o'clock
Midrange 12:30 o'clock
bass 10 o'clock
presence noon
Master 11 o'clock

Further reading [from previous posts];

Some more relevant info from one of my previous posts;

My Mesa Mini Rec is hands down the most versatile amp I've ever owned - but it didn't really shine until I got he matching cabinet for it [was previously playing it through a avatar cab which is good, but the mesa cab was better tuned for that head]. I liked the amp with my Avatar cabinet, but loved it with the matching cab; the bass tightened up and the mids became more "in your face" once I got the matching Mesa Mini cab. The amp REALLY came alive - Mesa knew what hey were doing when they designed that cab for these amps.

about EQ, gain, and dialing in...

In the manual it says "as the gain goes up bass must come down" and that's no joke. The "Modern" is higher gain than the "vintage", and you really need to dial with your ears not your eyes - I literally might have the bass knob at 9 o'clock, while the mids are at 1 o'clock, the treble is at 1-2 o'clock, and the presence at 11 o'clock. In 90% of the cases though I greatly prefer the "Vintage" channel - there I might keep the numbers above the same, but turn the bass up to 11 o'clock [at the most]. The gain knob on either channel I find almost obnoxious past 2 o'clock - beyond that things are so saturated that there is basically no tone at all, just preamp.

Mesa's have always been accused of being "flubby" in the bass dept., but the problem is that most people don't realize that the mesa has active AND interactive tone controls. So they set it up like their favorite Marshall settings and say "this is terrible".

Remember the EQ is interactive on these amps so wild EQ settings don't do what you'd think. Also, the EQ doesn't really control what would be obvious. For example;

Bass is actually LOW bass
Mids are actually low-mids
treble is actually high mids
presence is actually treble

increasing gain will increase treble and bass
increasing treble increases gain, and decreases bass
Adding mids, decreases treble, a little bass and a touch of gain
Gain, Mids and treble are the most active pots, bass and presence are the least

Give that stuff a try and see if any of that does anything for you.

Last edited:
The LPB-1 adds some low end grunt and a tiny bit of grit. It is not a super clean boost but I wouldn't call it dirty either. It's the only boost I liked with my Mesa, and I've used it both in the loop and out front, depending on what I wanted. It won't add any background noise unless you have microphonic tubes.

gishlullmoon

snow+steel: i've played with the rec before with settings and found good sound, i need to give it another try and just totally full out **** with it.

i have a Raven solid state and itsounds massive gain when put through my mesa v30 cab (4x12) but the definitions as good as the mesa boogie mini rec, but the saturation is LOADS more and nice and fat, but when you palm mute and try to get into lets say metallica territory the Raven is a total joke. the palm muting is like ice pick(i think that is what you call it) mini rec sounds great when you palm mute, but im just not getting enough saturation at the moment, tonight im going to mess with the settings every way possible......what i have had it is everything at 1:00 except the mids mids are all the way scooped, I'm only standing a a few feet away..im no expert on dialing tone so feel free to laugh. what i m thinking im going to do is start with everything at 1:00 (except the mids scoop them mids) then bring the trble from 1:00 back down and presence back down and toy with them two. both at 1:00 sounded good to me for a while but my ears changed i guess......ill try getting more chunk and sat with messing with those two knobs....

i don't play classical for anything like that, i play punk rock/nu metal im not a real guitar player.....

i only bought this amp for bands like all american rejects korn good charlotte creed everclear blink 182 green day.......gd didnt use one i dont think but it sure as hell sounds like it sometimes....... and for my own drop d madness.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
the Xotic arc Boost might be more what you want... At 3x the price... Kinda worth it Ime. The LPB is pretty clean, but can push other components to result in drive overall. It could definitely saturate a distortion if run before.

The current version that goes for $30 has a couple easy mods to clean up the noise and tailor the high end.

gishlullmoon

the Xotic arc Boost might be more what you want... At 3x the price... Kinda worth it Ime. The LPB is pretty clean, but can push other components to result in drive overall. It could definitely saturate a distortion if run before.

The current version that goes for $30 has a couple easy mods to clean up the noise and tailor the high end.
i guess i will jump the gun and buy one, i'm not necessarily big on playing clean anyways......just thought itd be awesome if the clean would stay clean....

i really bought the mini rctifier specificly because the all maerican rejects used one on their first album, and they only have a few songs/parts were its clean......most of the album is distorted i can live with some grit......maybe........if not i could just use iton the songs that don't have clean parts.......

thanks all i weighed it i think i m just gonna buy it and see what happens if not i should lose like $10.......I've lost more.....

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
...what i have had it is everything at 1:00 except the mids mids are all the way scooped...

There's your problem.

Green day use Marshall amplifiers. Marshalls are amps with notorious heavy mids. Further, you're cutting the mdis which boost the bass, treble and presence by a lot. While this may sound "ultra heavy" at home by yourself, it will also be very fizzy, and if you ever play with anyone else you're going to disappear I the mix and be all white noise high end.

Bass guitar sucks ALL the low end frequencies - you will never win that fight. No one wants an ice pick in the ear, and hgh treble/presence fights cymbals and vocals as well. Ergo, the EQ spectrum that is not being used [and conversely where you can make your instrument stand out] is in the midrange. Mids are where the angry guitar lives - trust me on this. Further, your guitar heroes are not using as much gain as you think they are. What you hear out of your stereo is a combination of the guitar AND bass melded together, along with judicious post-production re-EQing, compression, and mastering.

So back to green day - the guitar amplifier is a Marshall super lead - NOT a high gain amp at all. He runs almost all the EQ at noon and has both gain and master volume at 10 o'clock. Not high gain at all eh?

proof is in the pudding;

an experiment;
Put your amp between your stereo speakers. put on a song you know how to play, and turn the stereo up as loud as you can get away with. Have your amp at a lower volume, play along. Can you hear yourself or do you hear white noise? if you hear white noise its the EQ, if you CAN hear yourself and it sounds like a natural blend and/or natural rhythm track then you are probably very close. with scooped mids I guarantee you'll be very disappointed.

Hope that helps.~

Last edited:

MmcGrouty

anyone know know a clean boost that can add big tone+saturation to the mini rec???

NOT add overdrive tones to your clean chan.....
I don't understand the "not add overdrive tones to your clean channel" part. Just turn whatever pedal you get off when using the clean channel. A completely clean boost isn't going to add what you want to the distortion channel. I'd get a tubescreamer. Just turn it off for the clean parts, it's easy.

gishlullmoon

i'll try not scooping out the mids tonight and see what happens, ive tried before and couldn't find out how to get enough gain/saturation at low volumes....
still i must mention before im no guitarist and i will experiment

Vectorman raises a good point, tubescreamer V.S. lbp-1 which one wins??????

which one do i want????

wasn't green days amp modded though, the dookie amp???

gishlullmoon

i found a pic of the all american rejects, their rig......i see him using a ts 808........... he also had a mxr dyna comp i tried that out and it totally didn't do anything for me, all it did was add noise and my playing/picking ability sucked the gain was nice but come on...........

Trending Topics