Electro-Harmonix String 9 Ensemble Pedal

weevilcaster

Just received an email from EHX about their latest pedal, the String 9 String Ensemble.

"The polyphonic String9 String Ensemble transforms your guitar into nine different string ensembles and string synthesizers while requiring zero modifications, special pickups, or MIDI implementation. In a 9 Series first, the String9 includes the signature EHX Freeze effect to sample and hold notes and chords with infinite sustain."

NoiseNinja

Sound great for what it is, I guess, but not for me personally.

In fact if I got an offer that I could buy every pedal in EHX's 9 series for just 50$ each this would be the only single one of them I'd pass on, just have absolutely no use for those sounds, at least not to the extend that that wouldn't be covered by some of the other pedals in the 9 series sufficiently.

I'd much rather have had they had made a String 9 pedal covering different individual single bowed instrument, such a pedal I would actually be interested in, but these whole string ensemble sounds just sounds really cheesy to me, though as said, for what they are I suppose they do still sound great.

Last edited:

OotMagroot

Silver Supporting Member
I could use maybe one sound.....but then again, all of the sounds in that video sounded sameish to me. Aside from maybe the Floppy setting.

I think this one is pretty interesting, string sounds are pretty easy to fit into a "rock band" sort of context and this one really kind of hits a bunch of different string and synth sounds from different eras. Seems to occupy similar-ish territory to the mel9, the mel9 focuses on on emulating specific hardware unit while this focused on multiple hardware units doing the same type of sound.

Oh man— that’s fantastic!
I’m surprised people don’t seem as into this one; that solina sound alone would have sold me, but the various other sounds are all just as incredible. I don’t know… maybe I’m just too much of a prog dork to see why someone *wouldn't* want this

Joe Manganese

I expected something very different from these "strings". And the entire demo is more about synth sounds than strings.
Still have to understand if they did not include the swell knob as well.
Because without swelling, strings9 is totally useless.

sstweed

Silver Supporting Member
The Freeze function is a bigger deal than the video made of it. I have several of these pedals and the big problem with them, especially when mimicking keyboards like the C9, synth9 etc, is that they fade away with your guitar signal. Having to re-strum a chord in the middle of a measure makes a less than realistic simulation even less realistic. Now with the freeze function you can sustain a keyboard sound as long as needed. I have the TC Infinite already to solve that problem but having it on board would be nice.

I'll join others in saying I wish someone would give us individual stringed instrument simulations. A Cello, etc. I am an absolute train wreck on a keyboard, so if I can't find a way to do it on guitar it generally doesn't get done. But I don't think these '9' pedals have that kind of power. Someday maybe.

MrFuzzTone

Maybe a lot of people don't know about string machines these days. I have lots of software VST emulations of famous string machines such as the XILS 505 (Roland RS-505), Arturia Solina, Crumar Performer, GeForce Virtual String Machine and many software synths that do string machine sounds. I have a fascination with old string machines. It was quite a clever idea that didn't quite do real strings but ended up being its own famous sound.

I'm with everyone else. They should have just emulated individual bowed instruments instead of what sounded like to me to be a cacophony of instruments mixed together. It sounds super cheesy and fake. That's why I like my Mel9.

I'm really bummed out about this one because I know that EHX won't revisit this kind of thing again.

This would have been a home run for me because I've been searching & chaining pedals together to get cello & violin sounds from my guitars & bass guitars.

sstweed

Silver Supporting Member
The Bass 9 tried individual bowed and fretless type sounds but they were not too convincing. And of all the 9 series pedals (I have the synth9, mel 9, bass 9, key 9 and a C9) the Bass 9 was strangely noisy. It was good for faking a baritone guitar though.

Jr Deluxe

I want one but nobody has them in stock yet. I don't think anyone even has a coming soon page up. So maybe 3 months?

Damo123

The Freeze function is a bigger deal than the video made of it. I have several of these pedals and the big problem with them, especially when mimicking keyboards like the C9, synth9 etc, is that they fade away with your guitar signal. Having to re-strum a chord in the middle of a measure makes a less than realistic simulation even less realistic. Now with the freeze function you can sustain a keyboard sound as long as needed. I have the TC Infinite already to solve that problem but having it on board would be nice.

I'll join others in saying I wish someone would give us individual stringed instrument simulations. A Cello, etc. I am an absolute train wreck on a keyboard, so if I can't find a way to do it on guitar it generally doesn't get done. But I don't think these '9' pedals have that kind of power. Someday maybe.
The mel9 has a very good cello sound.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom