Electro Harmonix True Bypass

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kevs, Jan 23, 2020.

1. kevs

kevs Member

Thinking of getting the Neo Clone, but friend saying ECs true bypass is not that great? Anyone know more about this issue? Thanks.

2. Cousin

Cousin Member

I hadn't heard that, I have the EHX East River Drive and it seems to sound pretty natural when bypassed. I have however had experiences with other supposed true bypass pedals that lead me to believe that not all true bypass systems were created equal.
    Just so you know, some people get really worked up when you bring up true bypass, (not me) but brace yourself.

monty and kevs like this.
  3. kevs

kevs Member

thanks Cousin I'm new to this. My buddy playing 40 years, says thing is not just what you mentioned, but how effect other pedals when everything is turned off. He is one says EC true bypass is mediocre. But who knows if he is correct. That's why I'm posting.

I have a $13 Danelectro chorus that sounds fine, but has no true bypass, so I'm aiming for all pedals to have it except one or two Boss. But EC.. neo clone chous good/ or negligible true bypass?

Cousin likes this.
  4. monty

monty Member

I have a bunch of EHX TB pedals, never noticed the doing anything funky to the signal.

Cousin and kevs like this.
  5. beastly

beastly Member

Bunk. Some specific older models maybe, but they’re one of my fave brands. Worry not.

Cousin and kevs like this.
  6. kevs

kevs Member

Thanks guys, and final question: I did buy a Danelctro chorus, sounds pretty good but has no true bypass. It's worth $70 or so to get EC with true bypass. (I'd use the Danelectro as paper weight, which is ok)

I think knobs on EC are nicer as well...

7. Cousin

Cousin Member

I have noticed some pedals effect each other in a negative way when in line with each other. I only use the East River Drive by itself, never on my board, so your buddy may be right.

8. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

@kevs
    Is it possible your friend is running those TBP'd pedals on a daisy-chain for power?
    You can still get noise through the power/ground connection if the pedals are true-bypassed.
    … just a thought... spring it on your friend and see what they have to say.

(to the rest of us.... the ground connection is the key... if power-plug-ground goes to the PCB and then to the signal out-ground, you can get digital noise on ground going out)

9. beastly

beastly Member

Still, not exclusive to EHX.

moore_for_less, lefort_1 and Cousin like this.
  10. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

True, but some people key in on a brand with hate in their eyes.
    I was just trying to offer a reason for why some TB might sound un-well even when bypassed.

beastly likes this.
  11. kevs

kevs Member

My friend does like EH, but says they have mediocre true bypass compared to others. I don't trust everything he says so just posting as cross check.. He is right about lot things and wrong others.
    I could never give him any advice as he wont take it from me as I'm beginner. He take it from Jeff Beck and a few others.. ha ha.. very picky... (not easy person to talk to, but knows a lot)

But maybe wrong on this who knows..

Grounding is totally separate issue, I'm about to post on that right now new post, as I've having grounding issue too, nothing to do with EH ..

12. J-Flanders

J-Flanders Member

I've traced a few of the nano and XO pedals (I traced the XO Gemanium OD and XO The worm last week for example) and they do seem to have a less than ideal 'true' bypass.
    True bypass would mean that in bypass it'd be the same as connecting the input and output jack with a piece of wire. Your guitar cable length increased by 4 inches. Definitely no components in between.

However this is how the ones I traced were wired in true bypass:
    See schematic example below.
    They have two caps (C8 and C6) and a resistor(R10) loading down your pickups in bypass. Some even have a 2.2M resistor wired to the output jack as well.
    That's 200pF and 1.1M or 2.2M per pedal in bypass.

Suppose you have 4 of these, it would be like an additional 8 meters (about 3 ft) of guitar cable as far as capacitance goes.
    As far as resistive load to your pickups it'd be like swapping the 500k volume pot in your LP to a 250k or 166k pot.

If you have a buffered or always on pedal before those 4 you won't notice it.

On some of the older pedals they used what is called hardwire bypass.
    It leaves the input connected to the circuit input and the bypass switch connects the output jack to either the effect output or the input jack (+ circuit input)
    That isn't a whole lot different from this actually.

And for the record: I'm (still) a huge EHX fan. :)

EHX Germanium OD example:
    (schematic taken from the internet but verified against my own tracing)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Glitch Magnet, Cousin and kevs like this.
  13. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

Mediocre true bypass?

Oh, TGP....

14. kevs

kevs Member

thanks Flanders, don't understand a lot of that, but I have one Boss , three others and M9 line mix.. so is true bypass good in the Neoclone, in your opinion?

15. J-Flanders

J-Flanders Member

Put a Fuzz Face (if you have one) first, followed by any Boss pedal (they are all buffered) and then it matters very little what kind of bypass the rest of the pedals have.

I no longer have the Neo Clone and can't remember what kind of bypass it had. I didn't use chorus enough to leave it on my board, but if I'd buy a chorus pedal again it would be the Small Clone or Neo Clone.
    The number one complaint about that pedal when it came out was the LOUD pop when switching from bypass to on. Mine did so as well.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    kevs likes this.
  16. kevs

kevs Member

thanks Flanders, so neo clone good? I actually bought the Waza Craft upon recommendation from the same friend, but returned it as I did not think a Chorus pedal warranted $170.00 I like it but not my favorite effect.

Explain switching from bypass on/ off. I've read about that but don't know what it means yet. I have the Mesa Boogie Throttle and Flashback 2, and Boss Ocataver CS3 all have true bypass and I dont see any on off thing on any. Neoclone has on off something? Sounds quite annoying so I want to hear about that.

17. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

I've never heard of any Boss pedal having true bypass, they generally have buffered bypass, some better than others.
    Al

kevs likes this.
  18. kevs

kevs Member

No one said the Boss has true bypass.

19. kevs

kevs Member

No one said I did not like the Waza Craft. Waza is great, but for me $170 is a bit much for a chorus now.. In a year I'm might think different.

20. coldwaternights

coldwaternights Member

EHX switches always feel cheap to me.
    i can tell they're not of the same quality as other TB switches.
    eventually one of the switches on my Memory Man w/hazarai failed.
    had to get it replaced by the great guys at Keeley.

kevs likes this.