Electro-Voice FRFR

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by redgold, Jun 13, 2011.

1. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

If they are like Musicians Friend, there is always a long list of manufacturers that are exempt from the sales, but in fact they will honor them in most cases, you just have to call and ask nice. Worth a try anyway.

2. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

Guitar center owns MF. Not in the internet sense (pwned) I mean they are the same company.

3. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

As well as Music123 and Woodwind & Brasswind... (I've been having awesome results buying from WWBW esp when dealing over the phone.

4. alp

alp Member

MKB, thanks for sharing your observations on this. My concern is that sometimes we do gigs without a PA system and every instruments volume adjusted through acoustic drum set. Fender HRDlxs, Peavey Classic 30s, Tech21 TM60s are examples for amps being compact and easily handle these kind of scenarios. In summary i need something to amplify my modeling rig through the audience, not only me. Do you think ZXA1 is capable of amplifying guitar in an un-miced scenario?

BigWave, that is exactly my experience. For the last six years i am gigging with a TM60 and never had to push it more than 60%, miced or un-miced. Then, i got into modeling thing and am very happy with the results so far in my apartment and planning to use these toys for gigging. Last month i purchased an M-Audio GSR12 active FRFR speaker (300watts) and it was nowhere as loud as TM60 (full volume on GSR12 was equal to 25% volume on TM60). I returned GSR12, and now looking into these ZXA1 speakers. I am looking forward to hear about your comparison between TM60 and ZXA1. Please keep us informed here. Thanks in advance...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  5. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

I've been using a pair of the EVs for about a year now. For me, they are loud enough to keep up with a drummer. I found a Yamaha case that makes it easy to transport the pair.

For me a really great "feature" is that when I had a pair of Fender Pro Jr's I got yelled at constantly at church for being too loud. With the EVs and AxeFx, I can turn it up to the "sweet spot" without getting yelled at. I think part of the reason is that the EVs are pointed at my head and the Fenders were pointed at my ankles.

I love the portability.

John

6. BigWave

BigWave Member

I received my scratch-n-dent ZXA1 on Friday. I can't find any scratches or dents. I have tried it with my Tech21 Blonde and POD XTL. So far I'm very happy with it. Plenty of volume for me so far. It doesn't have a ton of bass but compares well with my M-audio studio monitors. It actually over powers them easily. I have run the volume on the ZXA1 at noon and it was much louder than I'll ever need. Not 800 watts RMS but plenty for 8 inch drivers. I'm sure a QSC K12 moves more air but I don't need that power, weight or expense.

We usually play small rooms with less than 100 people. The other guitar player uses a Mesa 5:25 in the 5 watt mode and he says its' not close to maxed out in that mode. It is a loud 5 watts but still tame. The drummer has great touch so no problems there.

I'll try it at rehearsal tomorrow and if all goes well at a gig on Saturday. I think it's going to work great but I'll report after I try it out.

If you have concerns about your drummer or other volume requirement this is probably a bit small. I'd go with a K12 or EV 12 inch monitor.

7. BigWave

BigWave Member