Electro Voice speakers ..... a little disappointing ....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dr. Tweedbucket, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I've been messing around with EVM 12L speakers and not sure I really like them. They seem to do fine if you have the pre-amp cranked up and not really putting any serious power to them. The problem is when they get overdriven and break up on the clean channel, especially when hitting the #6 E string hard, they seem to have a farty distortion going on. [​IMG]

I thought maybe at first the speaker was hitting the grill baffle or cloth, so I removed it, but the same farty breakup happens. I then switched to a second EVM12L that I had, but the same thing. It's a bummer because up until that point, they are great sounding speakers. They are cast framed, built like a tank, and are rated for 200 Watts, but I'm only pushing them with a measly 100w amp. [​IMG]

2. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

yeah, they do not sound good when pushed to me either. Are you using a single EVM with the 100 watt amp?

3. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I own currently own 3 EV's and have not had that problem. Maybe you are hearing your ears overdrive? Seriously, when sound is too loud, you can overload your ears. Just a thought.
    Oh, also, what cab were you using?

4. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry

I was, but then I bought a 1x12 thiele cabinet and ran the combo and the thiele. I first noticed the flappy sound in the cab while I was playing clean and cranked it up. It's a very unmusical type of distortion....... I am 99.999 % sure it's the speaker.

Maybe I'll whip the Hiwatt DR103 out and pump that amp through the same cab :mad: ..... that should get me to the bottom of the problem.

No, it's definately coming through the speaker..... I can watch it as the cone damping is a little out of control. :messedup

5. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

I've never heard that w/ an EV - perhaps yours has a problem (rub, etc.)...?

6. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

EV's are very clean and loud, maybe your amp is breaking up. What
    kind of amp are you using.

7. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

I used to run a 100 watt Carol-Ann head through a single 200 watt EV and it sounded great. Tight bottom end with no farting out. Even at high volume it stayed together extremely well.
    One of my favorite speakers.

8. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I have never heard of the EVM 12L having a sweet distortion on breakup, few ever push them to that point.

May I assume that at the point of breakup they were really really loud? They may not be the best speaker for pushing to the point distortion.

Did you buy them new or is it possible that previous owner pushed them too hard and they are slightly damaged?

9. jharpersj

jharpersj Silver Supporting Member

Doesnt sound right mine dont do that at all there is NO flab, I agree with the others tho at 200W you should not be getting speaker breakup, could also be the cab is not built for a speaker of that weight, avatarsperkers.com has great deals on celtions tho, try an 80W of a g12H

I bet its the cab or a messed up EV

10. AL30

AL30 Member

This is a long shot but...

You wouldn't happen to be using a new(er) Les Paul with stock pick-ups (490 series?) into a Fender style amp would you?

AL

11. rog951

rog951 Member

I did not know it was even possible to get an EVM12L to break up! I've never played that loud I guess.

12. mbstrums

mbstrums Member

I remember reading that for optimum performance an EVM-12 requires a thicker baffle board. I did a few searches and couldn't come up with the measurement.

Throughout the 90's, I gigged with various amp heads (from 30-100watts) and played through an EV vocal monitor cab aimed at me with the tweeter and crossover network disabled. I never had any trouble hearing myself! I mic'd the cab for FOH. Never experienced any unwanted bottom end break-up.

13. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

Never had that issue,always sounded good even loud,what kind of amp are you using,and have you tried it with other amps?
    When you said the cone seemed to be out of control could be an amp problem when cranked up loud and clean.
    I like my EV

14. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

The bottom end of the EV12L's I've played through is monstrous.
    I'd get the speaker(s) looked at.

S.
    j

15. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

If it happened with 2 different speakers , they may be too much for that thiele to handle -
    some kind of resonance/standing wave mismatch thing , or see mb's post re: baffle .

16. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

What you are describing was never an issue with any EV speaker I've ever used.

17. Carol-AnnAmps

Carol-AnnAmps Gold Supporting Member

I've pushed a Marshall Major in to a single 200W 12L and the amp gave way first.

Also I've never had a single failure with a 12L. What you describe is something the 12L does not do and the fact that two are doing it points to something else.

I've seen some situations where a 12L can cause all sort of cab weaknesses to show, in fact in one combo that originally came with a Celestion, the low end of the 12L damn near destroyed the cab.

18. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

my EV 12L does the same thing as tweedbucket describes when pushed too hard and has decent low end but certainly nothing amazing. So if it's a defect it must be a common one. The speaker functions perfect until hit too hard, has no rubbing etc. Doesn't bother me because it's not my favorite sounding speaker anyway and rediculously heavy.

19. bosstone

bosstone Member

I have had at least a dozen EVM 12Ls and I use one now. None of them have done what you describe. I actually turned one up high enough to blow it up and didn't have your experience. It must be the amp.

20. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

That would be something to see at a show, instead of an amp blowing up and catching fire, how about a cabinet blowing up and sending splinters all over!

:RoCkIn