Electro Voice SRO 12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Brave Ulysses, May 20, 2011.

1. Brave Ulysses

Brave Ulysses Member

Recently I bought a '78 EV SRO 12" from a local fellow off of Craigslist. I haven't had the chance to play through it yet. When I went to take the stock Fender speaker out of my Hot Rod, I realized the SRO was too big (depth-wise) for the Hot Rod cab! A foolish mistake on my part, but not a damning one (in fact, a good problem to have). The "coffee can" shape would knock out the three 12AX7's. The speaker itself is in great shape for being as old as I am; the guy I bought it from is an old country slinger, a Chet Atkins-style virtuoso who has played locally in southern Maine since the 1950's. He took good care of his EV's (I couldn't buy the other one) and was the only owner. Anyway, as I wait to buy a nice 1x12 cab (probably a Lopo) for this behemoth, I was hoping to get some feedback from people who played through these or who currently play through these. I've been told that they handle volume really well, are rock-solid, and dynamic and rich. I'll try to get a picture up soon. Any thoughts?

2. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Bought 3 of them ast summer off of CL. great speaker Got one in a 1x12 and 2 in a SF pro reverb. What you have been told is the truth. love to get a 4th and try a 1960 cab with 4 of them.

3. Brave Ulysses

Brave Ulysses Member

Interesting. I wish I could have ponied up the dough for the two he was selling. I got mine for $175 and am really looking forward to cranking it up once I get a cab for it. Does EV currently make a similar model?

4. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

No idea on if they do, I don't think so. Sure it will sound great. ran mine witha 50 JMP on 10. To much power to sound great but still not bad. Guy was dumping them I got them all for 150.00, knew i got a dea but wow....makes up for the next time I over pay.

5. Quintus

Quintus Member

I bought an EV SRO/12L ceramic off Craigslist and got lucky: it sounds great in my Lopoline thiele 1x12.

The EV SRO/12 AlNiCo is also fantastic, but if you can't find one, consider the WGS BlackHawk 100W AlNiCo, which is billed as a drop-in replacement. The WGS Blackhawk is a new generation classic, IMHO.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  6. Brave Ulysses

Brave Ulysses Member

The guy I bought mine from was selling because they were just too heavy weight-wise for him (he's in his mid '60's). He also has mostly been playing a pedal steel through a couple of Peavey solid states (I guess he lost part of a finger years and years ago in a machine shop mishap). Anyway, yeah, apparently these SRO's are scary loud and can be pushed really hard. I can't wait to get mine going.

7. Brave Ulysses

Brave Ulysses Member

Honestly, I haven't heard enough of my own playing through different speaker types to form an opinion or allegiance to either AlNiCo or ceramic. I believe the stock Gold Label HRD speaker is AlNiCo, and while not the worst speaker in the world, it is something that should be upgraded. Why it's taken me years to come around to this idea is beyond me. I didn't care enough about such important tonal aspects like these 5 to 10 years ago. In the past few years my playing and technique has undergone a sort of renaissance, and with that comes attention to tone.

8. 66Park

66Park Member

I used to play through four of the alnico SROs. They are fantastic sounding speakers - the best sounding high power handling speakers I've ever played. I wish I still had mine! I had them in two 212 cabs, and damn, they were heavy!

9. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

My first tube amp was a 1965 Deluxe Reverb I got in 1980. I bought it from the Original Owner who put the EV SRO in a a replacement. It's simply the most beautiful, open honest speaker I've used. It's heavy though.

10. Brave Ulysses

Brave Ulysses Member

Sounds like these things are classics now. You'd think a speaker that's 33 years old would be beat up pretty good. Mine has a few paint scratches and a little dust around the cone rim, but otherwise is in great shape. Although I haven't played through it yet, I am almost positive that it'll work and sound as well as it did in 1980. The seller is a very trustworthy type. And yeah, these things are heavier alone than some amps are.

11. Brave Ulysses

Brave Ulysses Member

By open and honest, do you mean a combination of low compression and low guitar-tone coloration? Does it let the guitar's tone "speak" without throwing unwanted brightness or other things into the emitted tone?

12. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Anyone know where to find their date codes, mine have no marking besides the label

13. 66Park

66Park Member

Yeah, definitely. They are very full sounding with a nice top end and a big bottom. It's definitely worth getting a new cabinet for.

14. Quintus

Quintus Member

I agree. To my ears, the EV SRO is very full and balanced sounding, with a big, rounded, articulate, 3D tone, and no ice-pick harshness. Same with the Blackhawk.

FWIW, to find my EV SRO I used Jaxed search site that allows you to see what's available from Craigslist across the country and eBay:

http://instrument.jaxed.com/cgi-bin...t&itm=hamer&state=&ps=&pe=&ys=&ye=&submit=+GO+

You can set it to different categories at the top, so it can find stuff other than musical instruments. I found my SRO from a gentleman in Arkansas who was willing to take paypal and ship it direct to Lopoline, who did the install on the thiele they built me. It was a bit of a risk, but when you find a nice SRO it's worth taking that chance. Total cost was $150 and worth every penny.

15. Brave Ulysses

Brave Ulysses Member

Yeah, this would be useful. The seller told me he bought them in 1978, and never had a problem with them through the years. But the lack of factory identification is a little odd.

16. Brave Ulysses

Brave Ulysses Member

Man, that is a good deal, speaker and cab for $150! In the end, I'll probably end up spending at least $350 in total when I get the cab straightened out.

17. Quintus

Quintus Member

Sorry for miscomunicating: total cost of the EV SRO was $150. Cab + EV SRO came in under $500, but Lopoline did a custom build on my 1x12 thiele, loaded the speaker, and added custom grill cloth. And the end result was beyond my expectations. Here's a shot of my rig. The thiele sits beneath my Forte 3D and is the same external dimensions, despite how it may look in the photo:

[​IMG]

18. 66Park

66Park Member

And it will be WELL worth it. I really regret selling my SROs. I was young and dumb, and they were so heavy. I put two of them in a Twin Reverb that I had to carry a couple blocks and up and down stairs everyday for rehearsals, and it was like carrying a large boulder.

19. Brave Ulysses

Brave Ulysses Member

Man, that is one gorgeous setup. No worries on the miscommunication. No matter how you slice it, all of this stuff gets pricey, used or new. Is the Kingsley sort of a Marshall-style head? It has a look about it that screams "destroy." Love it. The cat by the window is a hoot.

Did Lopo front load or rear load the EV? The weight of a single SRO has led me to think that front loading would be the best option. The seller gave me a special iron support brace that his Navy shipyard brother machined for him which custom fits under the coffee can's lower edge. It has to be screwed into the lower backplate of the cab to be of any use, though.

20. Brave Ulysses

Brave Ulysses Member

Yeah, I can totally see why some people sell these. Enough weight to throw out your back or shoulder, especially if you're lugging around a 2x12 all the time. Maybe throwing some casters on the cab will be necessary. But those won't help with stairs. The seller is 66 but seemed a little older than that. Maybe lugging those around for the last 30+ years caused him to age a little faster?