• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Electro-Voice ZLX-12P for Axe-Fx II

wcfields

What are your guys' thoughts on these? The look pretty good for $399. Any feedback from people who own these or have tried them?

Thanks,

jbealsmusic

Maybe it's just me but if I had a $2K+ piece of gear I would want something as transparent as possible to play through. The ZLX are decent for what they are (DJ-style PA speakers), but they won't really do your Axe-fx justice. Of course, IMO, YMMV, etc.

PS - I use an RP1000 into a ELX112p, and I even find it colors my tone a hair more than I'd like.

wcfields

Maybe it's just me but if I had a $2K+ piece of gear I would want something as transparent as possible to play through. The ZLX are decent for what they are (DJ-style PA speakers), but they won't really do your Axe justice. Of course, IMO, YMMV, etc.

PS - I use an RP1000 into a ELX112p, and I even find it colors my tone a hair more than I'd like.
I mainly use a power amp and cab, so not dumping lots of money on powered speakers. I can adjust my patches according to the speaker. No issues there...

frantick

I have a pair I use with my AxeFxII because I got one of those 20% off deals at MF. I'm just a 'bedroom' player, but they sound great to me, they're light (although they sit on the floor in front of me), and I do crank them when the family isn't around. Before these I used 8" studio monitors and much prefer the ZLX-12's.

I'll also say I'm over 50, so my ears probably aren't the best judge of sound!

-cp

yacht_rocker

I'm currently using one with my Axe, because it's all I could afford after buying the Axe. It sounds good to my ears, but I don't have a frame of reference because I previously used two 5 inch KRK monitors. I didn't have the chance to audition any of the over $700 options because none were available in my area.

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
I use two EV ZLX12P's as mains for my acoustic rig (which is acoustic -> AxeFX II -> mixer). I run in stereo, we have 2-3 vocals and sometimes keys (and also play DJ/program music off the iPhone in between sets). They sound VERY GOOD for the price and they are sturdy and hold up well (one of mine went flying off my hand truck after a great gig / too much fun after party load out and it's fine).
With the setting pole mount / live and playing strictly electric through the II it does sound good and can VERY loud with a lot of girth in the lower mids. Mine do then to "rumble" with deep lows but it's barely audible even when playing loud alone solo at home.
I AB'd directly with the Atomic CLR many times and here is what I have found:
1. GREAT bang for the buck, really sweet for DJ/acoustic gigs especially in stereo
2. As expected, hyped high end which can be shrill with very loud electric guitar FRFR
3. blanketed / dampened lower mids which actually pump well for loud cleans and sound thick and meaty with overdrive (kind of cool really)
4. Over extended bottom, can get loose at loud volumes
In short I'm very happy with mine as mains for acoustic (and I would bet they will cover some smaller full band gigs as well). I would not hesitate to use one for personal FRFR or maybe even a backline show.
The Atomic CLR smokes them in terms of clarity and "realistic" guitar only tone but that is if you have gone "all in" with the real dream rig (IMHO = II + CLR). My TWO ZLX's with stands cost 2/3rd's of one regular CLR.
At this point I'm using a ZLX on one side and my CLR on the other (my side) for mains with no monitor. I'm thinking for bigger, important acoustic gigs of ZLX mains and CLR in wedge behind me as an acoustic amp.
Hope this helps! BTW, I find these on par with the more expensive ELX line as well as most of the other FRFR options sub-$750.

chrisjnyc

Silver Supporting Member
They had some issues with wires rattling when they first came out. EV recalled the first batch, but some poeple still here the issue with hi gain and the speakers cranked up.

Check the Fractal forum, a ton of posts on it a few months ago.

wcfields

No rattling on mine at all....tested it at high volumes on a pole and in wedge position. Sounds great.

Badside

Anyone tried the Yamaha DXR series? Not much more expensive than the EVs and better rated all around.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom