Electrolytic Caps Question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by wavey63, Feb 10, 2008.

1. wavey63

wavey63 Member

How important is it to get the uf value of power caps in an amp dead on? I was thinking of replacing the old ones in my Peavey for new Atoms but can't get the 22uf and 47uf.Is it sonically worth this? Also, any idea how to remove them from the CB when they have silicone holding them in?Or am I just nucking futs?:NUTS

2. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

20uf is fine 50 or 40 uf is fine

I'd get the F&Ts though and get the 22 and 47

3. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

First be sure the Sprauge's will physically fit. If they're IC's you can get the same values.

4. wavey63

wavey63 Member

They are IC's but once again, not sure if it is needed yet. Just wanted to get the best sound from the old girl... BTW, any tips on the silicone thing?

5. MisterAgreeable

MisterAgreeable Member

You sure it's not hot glue holding them in? I just use an exacto knife and a bit of patience.

6. wavey63

wavey63 Member

It may be glue but it is clear.Always thought that hot glue was opaque.

7. Swarty

Swarty Member

FWIW, you notice the tolerance of filter caps to be very wide, some are like +30% -20%. Getting them dead on is just about impossible.

8. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

How old is your peavey?Changing the electrolytics will give no improvements in performance unless they are shot.Sprague atoms are obsolete technology and are likey not as good as the ones in your peavey right now.

9. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I'm with Phsycho on this one. Almost any decent filter cap made today will perform as well as or better than Atoms.

IMHO, the best made today are F&T.

Keep in mind that the Atoms made today are not the same as Atoms made decades ago. They've been constantly improving the technology, but housing it in the same huge cans of old. If you cut into an old one, the goo fills the entire can. If you cut into a new one, there is a little "turd" in there surrounded by a lot of air.

Atoms are more myth than reality now (IMHO). I can't find any performance metric to prove their superiority to even the lowly Xicon.

10. wavey63

wavey63 Member

The amp is about 15 years old and has seen moderate use. They do look fine but just wanted to make sure that they were not hindering the tone.

11. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

+1, just a small cap in a big can and matching price.