• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Electrolytic filter caps : Pre - installation longevity ?

phsyconoodler

One year and then they are unsaleable.Many old ones are still useable as long as you re-form them with a variac,but it's best to get new stock and not worry about that.
So if you see NOS filter caps on E-Bay,don't buy them unless you know how to re-form them or like swapping them in and out of a complete amp build.
We can't see inside filter caps to see if the electrolytic compound is dried out,so why take a chance?
Now I may be wrong here,so those who truly know please pipe in.

John Phillips

I wouldn't install one over ten years old at all, and not over five years old in a critical application. I don't think I'd draw a line as soon as a year - amps which haven't been turned on for a year or more are usually perfectly OK.

Basically 'NOS filter caps' are an oxymoron though...

67super

Not in the context of guitar amps but in other applications requireing electrolytic caps I routinly use stock that is over a year old. Like John said I wouldn't use something 10 and maybe even 5 but 1 or 2 years has never been a problem.

teleamp

I have read somewhere that the shelf life of new production electrolytics is 5 years. After 5 years, reforming is suggested.

MikeY

Trending Topics