Electronics / Equipment Tech

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Adam79, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Adam79

Adam79 Member

I'm interested in learning electronic circuits. I'd like to understand schematics, build/fix equipment, etc. Can someone suggest a starting point? I'm really interested in the subject. Maybe some book recommendations. I remember someone one told me about old Navy workbooks, from I wanna say the '40's (?), cuz they focused on valve tech (I'm interested in tube tech). Unfortunately I forget the course name. I think I went as far as buying it on eBay, but the seller totally boned me and just sent half completed worksheets without the accompanying material w/ all the information!

Buying kits will help me with the physical aspect of putting stuff together, but I want to know the whys involved too.

Thanks,
    Adam

2. Kyle B

Kyle B Supporting Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of electronics :)

Have you considered an EE-tech course at a community college???

Not saying you can't learn this stuff by yourself, but if you take "real" classes they force you to actually run the equations and the labs give you hands-on in a manner intended to build your understanding, and you'll have other brains available to bounce ideas & concepts off of. That's really invaluable IMO.

Granted, you're not gonna learn "tubes" in these courses, but transistor circuits work basically the same way. You learn how to bias a transistor circuit, and doing it with a tube isn't much of a stretch.

No matter what road you take, please know it's not gonna be instantaneous. Unless your name is "Tesla", none of this stuff is intuitive. It takes literally years of consistent, focused effort before one really can say they "get it".

3. ejanuska

ejanuska Member

The Navy books you are referring to are NEETS modules. I think there are 24 books. They can be found and downloaded for free. They are pretty good. Tubes are covered along with all kinds of other stuff.

4. Dan40

Dan40 Supporting Member

Just do a google search for "basic ac/dc theory" and you will find plenty of reading material to get you started. You really need to learn the basic fundamentals before you can grasp how the circuits work. Ohm's law is one that you will need to know and use everyday. After you have a grasp on that you can search for "vacuum tube theory" to learn more about tubes and tube circuits. The "Neets" modules are also an excellent resource to help get you started.

5. Adam79

Adam79 Member

Thanks for all the great info. I'm really hands on. Are there any cheap worthwhile kits so I can get some soldering practice? There's a mic mod I want to perform, a clone of the Jim Williams MCA SP1 mod, and I wanna be comfortable doing it.. even if I'm not yet grasping the whys of what's being modded.

6. Roman4405

Roman4405 Member

+1 on taking a CC course or two. I learned electronics in the Navy but if i didn't I would take a class.

7. Adam79

Adam79 Member

What would the name of the course be? Was the EE that was mentioned above for electrical engineering? How intense is the math?

8. Roman4405

Roman4405 Member

Like it said, I learned in the Navy. If you go to the website for your local Community College you should be able to view their courses. They probably have some sort of basic electronics program.

9. Adam79

Adam79 Member

Been rockin the Neets modules. Thanks for sendin me that way.