Electronics on board.........

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by fender23, May 11, 2008.

1. fender23

fender23 Member

Never had an acoustic that was equipped with a pickup (other than a really nice Ovation) and was wondering if the controls sticking out the top of the upper bout is a necessary evil that you just put up with, or maybe its not an issue to the acoustic qualities of the guitar?

Saw a Larrivee OMV-09E that seemed to be a great looking guitar, nice cut-away, great EIR/Sitka combination and moderately priced. Not too fancied up with all the inlays and such (some guitars to me end up looking like a Liberace reject and kinda whorish) but this one was quality made with good solidwoods but not overly ornate.

On board electronics were B-Band 6.2 of which I know nothing about.

Any views, discussion, opinions?

2. cornerstone

cornerstone Member

There are many pickups for acoustic guitars with onboard preamps or not that are non intrusive. For majority of my guitars I use the B-Band A2.2 which is a superb system with onboard preamp and soundhole controls that you cannot see when looking at the guitar.

3. David Collins

David Collins Member

I think the days of side mounted preamps are thankfully fading, especially in aftermarket systems. Pretty much all the major pickup makers now offer discreet controls mounted just inside the soundhole, much more elegant, ergonomic, and less invasive. If you want more than volume and maybe a pan or tone control you can do that at the amp or at an external preamp, but I just can't justify chopping a hole in the ribs to make room for a cheap 3 or 5-band onboard EQ.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

+1 i have a baggs imix system in my old j-50, consisting of an ibeam soundboard transducer, a dimarzio reference acoustic soundhole pickup (instead of the included under-saddle pickup), and an onboard active preamp/buffer/eq/splitter/stereo-mono mixer with volume and blend controls.

the best part? except for the enlarged hole for the endpin jack, the whole system involves no cutting of wood at all.

5. mel

mel Member

+1
    for the B-Band A2.2 . I have it in my L-03R and it sounds great.
    Mel

6. in a little row

in a little row Member

Im with Dave in this one...ive always been against any unnecessary cutting on a guitar, onboard electronics especially, and some will say the sidemounts dull sound, some say not...external pres, EQs, and DIs are generally better quality with more options than onboards (sans tuners)

i find it interesting that guitar makers think that installing a soundhole unit (mounted on the very sound important top) is better than cutting a hole in the less sound important side of an acoustic

many folks (myself included) are fans of the K&K pure western...its minimally invasive, sounds great, and they offer a small, beltbuckle sized matching external preamp...

7. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

Dave hit the nail on the head! I think the B-Band & Fishman systems do a good job with no cutting involved. An external pre amp like the Aura mounted to the mic stand is a good idea, specialy going DI to the PA.