Electronics upgrade for Edwards LP?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by geodr, Oct 17, 2008.

1. geodr

geodr Member

Looking to put an electronics upgrade kit into my Edwards LP (98LTS) - any recommendations? Are there any pots that don't require opening up the holes? Which caps? Is it worth doing the jack and switch?

2. Emiel

Emiel Member

Hi,

I replaced the original caps by VitaminQ's. This seemed to make the tonepots more usable. I also putted BG PUF's (PAF replica's) in the guitar and recently soldered a resistor on each of the two 500k ohm volumepots, to turn them into 300k ones. I pretty much like the result (less high end), but since the resistors also are in contact with the tonepots, the tonepots aren't now working like they should. So I'm thinking of changing all pots. No idea which ones though, as they're Japanese and rather weird looking....

Anyone?

3. go7

go7 Member

I put an RS wiring kit and Hovland caps . The pots are easy to clean out to fit CTS pots [very close]. Wolftone Dr. Vintage pups. LP 98LTS. I like it better than my 1960 Gibson. Good luck!

4. Emiel

Emiel Member

Hi,

Which RS Wiring kit exactly did you put in your Edwards?

And sorry, what did you meant with "the pots are easy to clean out?" Don't you mean the holes?

Thanks,
    Emiel

5. geodr

geodr Member

Anybody else? I know there are a lot of MIJ fans out there who like to upgrade their LPs...

6. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

I had one, first ran it with CTS pots, Orange Drops, and Duncans, then switched to EMG's and their wiring.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. go7

go7 Member

Yes, sorry the holes are very close . I opened mine up with a pencil and some sandpaper. Short shaft pots. I tried many different caps and settled on Hovland. It gave the guitar that deep growl. I also put Wolfetone Dr. Vintage pups in. Good luck.

8. Bluesbuff

Bluesbuff Member

I have 2 Gibson LPs with RS kits, one "modern" wiring that's a few years old and one with a recent "vintage" kit. Both were significant upgrades to the stock Gibsons and really improved the clarity of the tone and removed the high end rolloff when the volume is backed down.

9. geodr

geodr Member

How do describe the difference (tone) between the modern and vintage wiring kits?

10. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

IMO the vintage kit makes better use of the full range of the knobs, but the tone is a little weaker with a tad more treble bite. Many people like this. I don't use the knobs other than an on/off full up or down so they're not for me. I get the modern wired kits.