Elektron Analog Drive - 8 circuit ANALOG distortion pedal with 100 presets + MIDI

RMosack

Supporting Member
No large leaps. I'm just quoting what you posted previously. :)

No need to explain or justify anything. The pedal didn't work for your needs. That is ok :) Each of us like what we like and want what we want. :)

Regarding the "supposed" noise issues, use it like it is meant to be used and you have zero issues (clean amp or clean channel of an amp). Stacking gain on gain and boosting gain brings noise. A few of us have suggested a noise gate if you really need it. Solves any noise problem.

We may have a different description of low gain, medium gain and high gain but there are videos out there showing this pedal to be a versatile pedal in those various ranges. I lean on the high gain side but I can get wonderful lower gain and mid gain tones out of it (to me). I am confident you can turn a knob as good as I can or Pete Thorn or anybody else can who demonstrated the product. :)

Hopefully you found a good alternative and are happy and playing away. :aok :JAM :dude :rockin :dunno
Wowza! I forgot I posted that in January of last year. I remember just keeping the pedal for months and selling it. I went back and looked in the thread and found that I did actually follow up in July 2018 on the final outcome. Basically explaining why I sold it.

I more or less ended that post with the following:

"If some manufacturer could do what the Analog tried to do, but do it right, it would be perfect for those MIDI type systems. It probably wouldn't even need to have 8 separate circuits, just a few in this general vein:
- something Klone-ish
- something in the BD-2 or Bluesbreaker lineage
- a Tubescreamer
- something RAT-derived
- a Marshall flavored distortion (like the OCD or Guv'nor)
- something high gain
As long as the EQ was fully adjustable, it would be great"

I still absolutely love the idea of a MIDI-controlled drive pedal that can deliver. Given the EQ control that the Elektron pedal offers (especially the mids), you wouldn't need to worry about any stacking. Just lots of flavors of dirt and a few MIDI presets.

Bogner

Wowza! I forgot I posted that in January of last year. I remember just keeping the pedal for months and selling it. I went back and looked in the thread and found that I did actually follow up in July 2018 on the final outcome. Basically explaining why I sold it.

"If some manufacturer could do what the Analog tried to do, but do it right, it would be perfect for those MIDI type systems. It probably wouldn't even need to have 8 separate circuits, just a few in this general vein:
- something Klone-ish
- a Tubescreamer
- something RAT-derived
- something high gain

I still absolutely love the idea of a MIDI-controlled drive pedal that can deliver. Given the EQ control that the Elektron pedal offers (especially the mids), you wouldn't need to worry about any stacking. Just lots of flavors of dirt and a few MIDI presets.
Apology accepted. ;) (I kid, I kid, I kid) :beer

Hofnarr

- something Klone-ish
- a Tubescreamer
- something RAT-derived
- something high gain

I dream of the same thing you do ... and I agree that the Elektron does not make the grade.

I could see a pedal similar.... But just for fuzz or overdrive / boost.

The EQ is great....but adding a HPF and LPF would be nice. Along with a clean blend. Built-in noise gate would be useful.
I don't care about the size so much...but the shape. I rather have it longer and more like several MXR - BOSS pedals side by side.

I'm happy so far with the Analog Drive. I need more time with it to see it's full range. Run it with a few different rigs.

The Eristic

I've had mine for a couple weeks now, not having any meaningful noise until the last two modes hit the final third on the gain control. I will echo that it'd be nice if a couple modes (especially the TS & Klon) could go lower gain. Also, yeah, clean blend would be amazing and a good built-in gate would've killed the biggest criticism from the off, though the initial price would likely have been even crazier and would've invariably exacerbated the size/complexity complaints.

All in all, though, I'm pretty thrilled with it, as at what I paid, it's gotta be the best value ever. It'll massively reduce board size for certain gigs and can pull off some pretty interesting tricks and textures on top the standard stuff.

With the Fryette Sig X rhythm channel highgain scooped and lead channel highgain midrange heavy.... Analog Drive in the loop of the BOSS NS-2 (noise gate) ....I'm getting great results using the AD for overdrive / boost.

The more I use the AD the more I like it. Basically regardless of how the amp is set anywhere from clean to highgain the AD allows for several voices.

If using a single channel amp I would probably set the amp clean or point of breakup .... But using a multichannel amp and MIDI the versatility is pretty amazing.

I took out numerous pedals to do direct A/B with the Analog Drive. I set the pedals to my favorite sounds from the pedals and then tried to simulate the sound with the Analog Drive. I was surprised how close I got to a RAT, OCD, TS9, Fulldrive, Klones, etc....

It never duplicated the sound...but was surprised how close I could get.

I used a few different amps and guitars....set up with various amounts of gain. Most of the duplication was done with the amp set clean....then I would compare them with as much amp overdrive I would normally use with the original pedal / amp combination.

From here you can modify the gain and EQ. Some of the sounds I liked better than the original pedal.

I also found I really like the Clean Boost with my highgain amps. The EQ on the Analog Drive is really useful when using the Clean Boost setting.

Anyway I started making a bunch of Presets with the various sounds I found. I'm liking this pedal more all the time.

Scored one for $80 on FB marketplace, hoping it’s useful to me, if not I’ll sell it. Looks like a lot of pedal for the size, even though it is kind of huge. Hoping it looks modifiable internally as well for some diode selection mods if I love it.

I plan on using mine in a MIDI rig I'm putting together. I use a noise gate with mine.
Yeah needs a gate to mitigate the hiss and hum added. Its not awful but it IS there. I see why some guys are not happy with it. Hoping to have less or no hum with a different power supply.

the tones are easy to dial and and keep pleasing me. Something really ear pleasing about this pedal.

I will also well exploit its MIDI functionality.

I see why low gain guys wouldn’t like how the drives start at mid but for my needs it has been great thus far.

we will see how long the honeymoon lasts, but for $80 at the least its a killer practice tool.

I'm running it with a Truetone 1 SPOT PRO CS12 using the green cable and still using a Boss NS-2.

I mostly used it with my Fryette Sig X and Deliverance 120. I did some A/B with some of my other favorite pedals. It could ballpark the sounds of most of them. Having the EQ you can go beyond. I found sounds with all 8 voices I liked. I found different settings on the amp dedicated what of the 8 voices I would use.

Some of the 8 voices work better with a clean amp. Others anything from point of breakup up to highgain was my preference. The Elektron works fine with a single channel amp....but found a multi channel more useful.

The Eristic

Bumping to ask if anyone has noticed theirs getting physically warm and the sound changing? I've been using mine for extended (2-4 hour) sessions lately and after a while, the gainer sounds in particular start sounding kinda ragged and atypical, almost misbiased, while the unit itself becomes pretty warm to the touch, especially above the power jack. Wondering if I've got something failing.