Eleven Rack Availabilty and Support?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by wwit, Jun 1, 2015.

1. wwit

wwit Member

Hi all.

Just curious. I see most online retailers have dropped the Avid 11R modeler. Sweetwater still has it and maybe Amazon. Checking on the Avis website they no longer have a direct link product page. I found it by using their search, but most of the product info pages no longer work.

Is the Eleven Rack discontinued? I've been thinking about picking 1 up for a while, but don't want to buy something that may have very limited future support.

Thanks for any insight.

2. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

Avid didn't support that thing 4 years ago when I was using it. I believe the active development and support is long gone.

wwit likes this.
  3. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

How were you planning to use it? If as interfaced to your computer I think your concern regarding lack of support may be warranted. If as part of a non computer interfaced rig I would think support would be of less concern. In that capacity it is not dramatically different from the rack gear from the 80s much of which still works fine.

wwit likes this.
  4. Promit

Promit Member

They made the PC editor standalone last year, so pro tools is no longer needed. The USB audio driver has bsod bugs. It works just fine right now, but last I heard the main developers had moved on from Avid. I don't know what "support " you are looking for, but it doesn't seem that the 11r will receive any more development work. Even so, it is a great sounding piece of equipment even considering the high end stuff.

wwit and mojah like this.
  5. C3X

C3X Member

I bought one from eBay over a year ago, new in box, without ProTools for a little over $300. It already had the expansion pack. I use it with Reaper and Logic. It's a portable and usable. I have never used their support and there is a decent community of 11R users if you have questions. I have found a ton of good patches by Benoni and others that have only needed a little tweaking.

They just updated the drivers on May 4, 2015 http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/download/Eleven-Rack-Drivers.

I also use the editor all of the time http://connect.avid.com/eleven-rack-editor.html.

Paired with the Behringer FCB1010 and the eProm chip it's a pretty solid option for around $500. Is the Axe/Kemper/PODXX better? I don't know. Don't care, really- it works for what I am using it for.

If the one I have today died, I would probably replace it with another one.

kornfan, wwit, mojah and 1 other person like this.
  6. Promit

Promit Member

Oh cool, I missed that driver update. Doesn't mention Windows (10 especially) but even so, they are at least keeping the thing working.

wwit likes this.
  7. C3X

C3X Member

Scroll down the page. http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/download/Eleven-Rack-Drivers

Windows Releases
    version release date info link
    1.1.10 May 4, 2015
    • Supports Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1
    • Supports Pro Tools 11.3, 11.3.1, 12.0
    • Added support for Application Manager
    download

Win10 isn't supposed to be released (officially) until July 29, 2015- so who knows if they will update the drivers once the official release is out.

wwit likes this.
  8. wwit

wwit Member

Thanks, good to know.

IF I got it, it would be used with my PC. Thanks to MS my dexterity and fine motor skills suffer, so PC/Mouse is easier for me to navigate then twiddling knobs.

Good to know.

Good to know.

Thanks to all. All useful info that will help my decision process. I'm still up in the air as far as going the Modeling route or stick with pedals with my Delta 115. Also on my maybe list has been the Pod HD500X or possibly the Boss GT-100. For the PC interface mainly.

The current pricing on the 11R is what makes it tempting. But reading that Avid support has dwindled down to nothing has my concern. I have really bad luck with it comes to buying unsupported and discontinued products. Its practically a life long curse for me :D

I have owned one of the original Mustang III's when it came out and replaced it with the same but version 2 when it released and have been really impressed with both for such cheap amps. But they have their own limitations. Great Fender models, but high gain leave a lot to be desired. And the limitations for pedal chain stacking holds back the possibilities of it.

9. buddy62

buddy62 Rock N Roll Ain't Noise Pollution Silver Supporting Member

wwit likes this.
  10. Edwood

Edwood Member

I also use mine every day, Got it new on E-Bay with the expansion pack.
    Love at first sight "Note ". Ordered a 2nd one from the same guy, Just in case. You really can't go wrong with it at that price point. Also get the FBC 1010 and the e-prom as mentioned. I was able to get rid of my pedal board. The only pedal I use now is the B-9 and the FBC. Keeps things much neater. Also get the free Singtall patches @
    http://www.elevenrackpresets.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=25285&page=all

They are great patches
    I also use Reaper!
    And your ready for anything!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    wwit likes this.
  11. C3X

C3X Member

Probably should go into another thread, but I just got racklegs for 11R case. Better than laying on top of a cab or using a speaker stand (which I was doing). Since I keep it in the 3u all the time anyway...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    wwit and Edwood like this.
  12. mattball826

mattball826 Member

For the money you may want to consider the POD HD500x or the AmpliFire unit. More updates and improvements to be had with those from what I have seen. Unless you find a used 11r for cheap.

wwit likes this.
  13. lauwing

lauwing Member

Amplifire won't act as an guitar-computer audio interface. One thing you need to know is, if you are not using Protools, you will not be able to mute your guitar sound and just monitor the tracks in your DAW. That creates problem if you want to use VST guitar plugins.

wwit likes this.
  14. wpawley

wpawley Member

There are plenty of videos on YouTube about how to set up the 11R for all sorts of sounds. Even though AVID is not producing the 11R support it should be, it is still a fine piece of gear to have on hand for both recording and live use. I use mine all the time for recording AND Live use. Is there better gear? Yes, there is, if you get on up in the 4-figure price range. What makes the 11R so good (other than the price) is that it is more than just a Guitar Effects Processor. Plug a Mic into it, plug a Keyboard into it, plug a Bass into it, and get all sorts of good results. About the only time I take an amp on stage anymore is iff it is a huge stage and I just want something to use as a stage monitor for me alone.

wwit likes this.
  15. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I expect if I had one, I'd continue to use it until I couldn't. But in June '15, no way would I buy one, knowing that the chances of future serious development are slim to none, especially if I wanted to use it with a computer.

wwit likes this.
  16. mojah

mojah Member

I love my 11R but you can't stack ODs. The Zoom G5 can and has USB interface for recording. The HD can too but I found mine to be a royal pia. Never got any tones I was happy with. 11R I was good in five minutes.. I like my cheapo G1 on backup better than my HD500.. YMMV

wwit likes this.
  17. wwit

wwit Member

This same thought has been in my head for a while with the 11R. I've been on the fence about getting one for too long and probably shouldn't keep considering it unless I happen to fall into a really good used deal.

The HD500x is another thought. But other than the original POD Bean that I bought in the late 90's, I've had really bad luck with L6 products ever since. I know that L6 has recently released a new firmware update that users really like. But in my head, I do wonder if Yamaha(since acquiring Line6) has the next Big Thing on the horizon planned that will blow the current L6 products away? Or will they just focus on products aimed at the current techno kids that allow them to play guitar thru their beloved Ipads and smart phones(yuck)?

18. Edwood

Edwood Member

C3X, Did you get the Rack legs from the UNO guy? Thank's

19. C3X

C3X Member

20. LJOHNS

LJOHNS Member

I have had one for a few years now. I bought it to go direct at church but didn't like the IEM experience so I went back to a tube amp on stage. I use the 11R at home for practice and love it. Never needed any support from Avid. We are planning to go all digital and upgrading our sound equipment at church so I may try it there again soon. For the price you can get the 11R at now I would recommend them!