Eleven Rack + Boss ST-2

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by HaroldBrooks, Feb 7, 2015.

1. HaroldBrooks

HaroldBrooks Member

I want to share a combination I found that works well for me.

I currently use the Eleven rack along with some of my other boxes into a self powered PA cabinet (JBL EON 515XT) as my stage setup. This yields a powerful, and very flexible rig, IMHO.

Generally I like many of the Amp models in the Eleven rack, and some of them are superb, but I've always favored a high gain clarity of the older Marshall stacks (i.e. Plexi, Super Lead) for a variety of the stuff I play (i.e. VH, Boston, Zeppelin, Queen, Floyd, Scorpions, AC/DC... you get the idea).

Prior to owning the eleven rack, I used a Boss ST-2 box (A clever DSP of a few distinct Marshall sounds, packed into a stomp box) and I love the tone it generates - (clear, compressed, and dynamic).

Now I've married the Eleven Rack and Boss ST-2 using the Eleven Rack effects loop, and I have to say, with the a 4x12 Celestion Greenback Cabinet emulation and tweeking some Pre / Post EQ settings, this is the BEST amp model and combination of all ! It beats any of the Marshall models already in the Eleven Rack, by a good margin.

The trick for me was to get past the notion that my stomp boxes had to be separate, and were somehow inferior to the Eleven Rack Models. Boss did a GREAT job with the ST-2, and adding the Eleven Rack with its effects truly helps brings that sound to life.

It makes perfect sense when you think about it. I paid approx $350 on EBay for the Eleven rack without Pro-Tools, and the Boss ST-2 retails for around $100 Give or take, so the Boss should deliver a good amp model if they followed the current state of the art Tech. I think the Boss box cannot be simply categorized as a 'Distortion Box', and from the onset I realized that. It's an amp modeler, plain and simple, and needs to be treated as such (start with an accurate flat replication of that sound)

The Boss Box has a less 'Buzz' and 'Fuzzy' character than most of the amp models in the eleven rack (when driven modestly), and really brings home the bacon for 70's to 80's style metal rock. When tempered correctly it is useful for other styles as well. One thing I've noticed, the ST2 responds well to pre and post EQ changes, perhaps even better than my old Marshall stack did.

It's Crisp and clean, with a great compression and sustain, and a great dynamic touch at settings below 2 O'clock. (and no I don't work for Boss or its affiliates)

I love my Eleven Rack, but I try to make use of any equipment I own if it's doing its job, plain and simple.

So the moral of my story is, try to keep an open mind about what works, throw out preconceived notions, and and experiment with all the equipment you have at your disposal ! :aok

I welcome everyone's comments !

Rock ON !

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  2. randombastage

randombastage Member

Sounds interesting.
    If you use a computer for audio try it into the TwoNotes demo of their Wall of Sound software because the ElevenRack speaker sims are not all they could be and the Wall of Sound has great speaker modeling as well as power amp modeling as well as a good EQ....
    Although maybe you found the perfect match for the ST-2 and no improvement is needed.

3. HaroldBrooks

HaroldBrooks Member

Thanks for the comments randombastage.

Things can always be improved, and I will look into the Wall of Sound software.

I've had dozens of amps over the years, and while the Eleven Rack expansion pack includes 'Speaker Breakup' into it's cabinet syms, I think it falls a bit short of what I've experienced first hand when using a 100 watt plexi above a 4x12 Celestion Greenback cabinet. Ideally, that's what I would be hoping for in addition to what I have already.

The complexity of speaker breakup I believe is not just frequency response changes, but also the attack envelope, Modulation of frequencies, and recovery from the big spike caused by the picking of notes in a full power setup. This seems to vary with intensity depending on the guitar used, Pickups, the head, Voltage Sag, etc.... It must be awfully difficult to model correct speaker breakup with so many unknown variables, but I know the sonic effect of is quite real, and it adds a lot to the 'Drama' and power to the music for hard rock.