Eleven Rack for starting a home studio?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Progman, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Progman

Progman Member

I am looking to start a home recording lounge area and I am looking for a new guitar and bass effects processor/amp simulator just for tracking. In my price range, the Axe FXII is a bit out of my league right now. In my ball park would be the Eleven Rack, which seems pretty perfect considering it comes with Pro Tools 11. How versatile is this thing? I have never had the chance to play one yet but reviews I have read make the 11R seem pretty promising, and for the price, it looks tough to beat. I guess the other option would be the Line 6 Pod Rack thing, but it doesn't come with Pro Tools and seems a bit too digital sounding, whereas the 11R seems very genuine sounding to the real deal. How would the 11R be for home recording?

2. Progman

Progman Member

Come on guys, show me some love...

3. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

4. drjordan

drjordan Member

I began recording with an 11R, and I love it. I own two of them now. I play one live, and my sister uses the other one for a live bass amp. I don't do any really high gain stuff, but it does clean to mid-high gain really well. For my style of playing, I could live on the AC-30 alone. The Super Reverb is also nice. Add the Xotic RC Boost (called the White Boost) to the Super Reverb, and that sounds great. I also frequently use the Bogner and Plexi. But I just love the AC-30 model.

For recording...the mic preamp is pretty good. It's also very nice to be able to play one guitar part and have the 11R split the signal...one through the amps and effects and the other completely dry. That way if you play a part you like through an amp model that you don't really like, you can reamp through a more suited amp model very easily. The Ampeg bass amp is also very good.

I say go for it. I think you'll enjoy it.

5. jrockbridge

jrockbridge Member

The 11R is a pro piece of gear. Not only does it sound good but it has a lot of dynamic feel. It even takes pedals well.

Make sure to get the ERXP. The fx are excellent quality but pretty standard stuff. If you are looking for exotic fx, you won't find them in the 11R.

Pro Tools is a powerful program and has some distinct advantages with the 11R. For example, PT's will recall all the patch settings of a recorded track. Also, PT's allows for easy virtual reamping of recorded tracks. You can even reamp pretty easily with a real amp although 11R only has one mic input. Still, you can repeat the process multiple times with multiple different mikes to get a pretty deep sound.

The trouble with PT's is that it's a large program and a resource hog, so it's not going to run well on just any computer. Also, it has plenty of problems with compatibility as well as stability on some machines. Getting PT's loaded and running on a computer is only half the battle. Getting PT's to run well is the other half of the challenge. Many musicians prefer to use a simpler DAW like Reaper, for example, because it is a smaller program that's compatible with a wider variety of machines and it is easy on the computer resources. Bottom line, it's much easier to get Reaper working stable on a computer.

One of the biggest complaints about 11R is that it was always tied to Pro Tools in terms of the software editor. If you wanted to edit 11R patches from software, you had to launch Pro Tools to do it. Since many users did not want Pro Tools taking up space on their computers that was an issue for them. For some, the solution was to edit patches from the front panel of 11R and save or load patches using ElevenHack software which is a non-official software application. However, Avid just announced that they will be releasing a stand alone software editor that works without Pro Tools.

Here is an example of EVH style high gain. This is the JCM800 model pushed with the White Boost from the ERXP. The crunchy stuff starts at ~ :35....

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/mikefont/womeninlove[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Depending on your needs and budget, you may want to consider a used 11R which can typically be purchased for $400 (including ERXP)...or sometimes even less. Pay close attention to the details of a used purchase since it is NOT always easy to get Pro Tools transferred to a new owner. Therefore, used options may be better if you plan to use a different DAW other than PT's.

6. mouzer

mouzer Member

Eleven Rack is a great piece. It's not the fastest, best, most versatile, feature boasting, most customizable, (ad nauseam) unit available on the market today...but its a dang good one.

Its role as a guitar based interface is second to none with its I/O and routing capabilities, and its integration with ProTools is extremely convenient. Tracking both the Rig and DI simultaneously are a cinch, and Re-amping (with the internal Rig or external amp/cab/mic) is also extremely easy. Being able to embed your rig setup inside your session is simple and very handy.

For me, the tone is there. There might not be a world of amps and effects to choose from but the ones Avid modeled sound great (and pretty authentic) to me. If you've had experience using the modeled gear hands on, it'll make your experience that much easier. If you've had experience recording the modeled gear before, it should be a cakewalk.

I strongly suggest searching on here, on the DUC, and elevenrackpresets.com to read how people feel about their units. Find out what their gripes are. Listen to their clips. Eleven Rack has been out for quite a while now and the information is out there. Many of us are just sick of repeating the rhetoric, especially since trolls seem to materialize on a regular basis to spout out about how the unit is garbage, or unusable, etc.

I use my Eleven Rack all the time. I use it to write/record my material, practice and play live with my bands, I record vocals using the mic preamp, etc. It's not perfect but I think I get pretty good results.

7. jrockbridge

jrockbridge Member

Here is a demo which shows how closely an 11R model compares to an actual Mesa Road King. In this particular demo, what is being compared is the preamp section of the 11R model to the actual Mesa preamp section. Both are being routed through the amp section of the real Mesa and a Port City 212 cab. The sound was recorded using the built-in camcorder mike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jfEjY_75Io

8. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

That's really impressive. The 11R sounds great on that clip.

Well done! :aok

9. Progman

Progman Member

Thanks for the replies everybody. Im convinced!

10. turbolx5oh

turbolx5oh Member

I'm using the 11R just as you want to use it. I have Pro Tools 10 (and 11) and use the 11R as my DAW. I also have a Midi keyboard and use an EZ Drummer plugin for drums. I'm loving it so far.

If you want to use an 11R for bass, you need to make sure you get the Expansion pack as that is where Bass amp/cabinet models were added.

11. BWebb

BWebb Member

If you're looking to start a home studio and get into Pro Tools, there is no better deal going than an 11 Rack w/PT.

12. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

+1000 & Spot on accurate too! :aok

13. gcadiz

gcadiz Member

If you are tied to a PC then get the whole enchilada (11R + Pro Tools), but if you have a Mac then try to buy only the 11R and pair it with Logic Pro X ($200 on the App Store).

14. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

The 11 rack is a good piece of recording gear for guitars, bass and even vocals sometimes. It also has an XLR input. I don't use pro tools...never will, and use the 11 r as a standalone unit. After getting my Kemper, I still use the 11r for recording certain tones. For live, nothing sounds as good as the Kemper, but in recording, having both units is a real treat.

15. roachone

roachone Member

also, come January 23rd you get a free editor from avid to work with. No Pro Tools needed!