Eleven Rack Questions

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by ToTheAtom, Feb 19, 2012.

1. ToTheAtom

ToTheAtom Member

Planning on purchasing an Eleven Rack unit in the next couple of days. A few basic questions for those with experience:

1) If I purchase a new or used unregistered unit, will I receive a free upgrade to the expansion pack and latest version of Pro Tools or is it slightly more convoluted than that?

2) Does the unit still sound decent when played at low volume in late-night situations at home (without headphones)?

3) Any particular recommendations for an affordable cabinet to pair up with this thing?

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. ToTheAtom

ToTheAtom Member

Actually, forget the question about the cabinet. After some reading, I recognize now that a pair of studio monitors would definitely be better suited for my home playing needs. I'm leaning toward a pair of iKey Audio M808 monitors. However, I'm wondering if their 8" speakers are a bit too much for my small 12" x 9" bedroom? Thoughts?

3. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

1) Probably I purchased a used, unregistered unit last fall and I got the free upgrades. However, that was on 12/28/2011. I'm not sure if they are still doing that if someone buys such a unit now (assuming they are still out there).
    2) Can't say, I use headphones with mine
    3) See number 3 :D
    -
    Austin

4. JunkGear

JunkGear Supporting Member

1.) This is part of the email that was sent when I registered my unit. I would assume you would be covered by this too if you purchase an unregistered unit.

We see that you purchased and registered a new Eleven Rack recently (on or after October 1st, 2011). In October, we updated our Eleven Rack product line with newer firmware and software. We would like to make sure you have the newly included software since your unit may not have been updated prior to your purchase.

2.) Lowering the master volume doesn't affect the sound coming out of the 11R, so yes it does sound fine at low volumes.

3.) N/A

5. Pax

Pax Gold Supporting Member

1. I think you'll be fine.
    2. That's one of the best things about digital, you won't change tone b/c of volume. Low volume practice will still give you as much distortion as you want. Just punch in that kind of preset.
    3. I use Yamaha 5" studio monitors. Sound great for low volume practice.

Just a note, if you're planning on using mp3 backing tracks you need to run your 11R with computer. Otherwise, you have to send the mp3 through the fx loop, and it has its drawbacks.