Eleven Rack thru what? (for home use)

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by luv, Dec 22, 2013.

1. luv

luv Member

Looking at getting an Eleven Rack (way late to the party, but the price is right and some of the sounds that I've heard are really good). I'm really having a hard time deciding what I would run it through, speaker wise. I've considered a single powered PA speaker, A T21 PE60 or a pair of powered studio monitors. I'll be using it with headphones quite a bit, but definitely will have plenty of opportunity to play it thru some sort of speaker set up.

My budget would be in the $250 - $400 dollar range.

The room that I'm mostly going to be using the 11R in is 10x12, so I don't need the power of a PE60. Like anyone, I prefer larger speakers when they are allowed to breath a little, so the PE 60 might be overkill.

I have no experience with powered PA speakers, but I'd probably pick up something with an 8' or 10" woofer. I'm guessing they are fairly frfr.

Studio monitors might do the trick nicely. I originally thought that I'd also use them for my pc speakers, but most of them look pretty big to sit on a desk on either side of my 23" monitor. My wife is fairly tolerant of my gear, so if I did opt to go this route, she would be ok with it. I could also just set them up away from the PC and use them only for guitar use.

I want good sound at quiet to moderate volumes with the ability to occasionally turn it up fairly loud. I don't need excessive volume.

I dunno.....what are you guys/gals (yeah, right) using?

2. neoprimitive

neoprimitive Member

For your budget I vote studio monitors. Awesome for very low controlled volumemes, yet still loud enough to shake the house when you want to.

3. birdie_in_texas

birdie_in_texas I can haz virgins?

i love my little Rokit 5's with my Axe 2 and my 11R..

4. SteelDragon72

SteelDragon72 Member

I always suggest Behringer Truth 2031As as a great FRFR solution for those on a budget.
    I've paired them with the 11R and thought they sounded great. Still playing them with my Kemper, although I'm looking to upgrade to higher-end now.

5. luv

luv Member

This is subjective, I know, but how is the bass response of a studio monitor with a 5" woofer. Does it still sound balanced with the mids and highs? Not too weak? I'm not interested in a "Micro Cube" sound.....if you've ever played thru one of those.

neoprimitive - I was considering those JBL's that you have. That would probably be my most economical option. Are you digging them?

6. neoprimitive

neoprimitive Member

My jbl lsr305's have amazing bass response for 5" woofers. Everything that comes out of them is balanced together perfectly. Honestly, I love them. I compared them to many others the day I got them at GC. And they sounded better than erything else in that price range. They are very capable of getting loud with no distortion at all. My guitar sounds amazing through them, as does recorded music or even a TV show played off my tablet. I went to GC today and ordered a novation mininova synth, that will getting a lot of play time through them as well. They sound like a lot more expensive monitors than they are. The waveguide technology they use on them is based off their super high end expensive monitors, and it shows in the sound. I wouldn't of believed it till I compared them to the other monitors in the sound room, the difference was that drastic. And at 82 watts each, they have plenty of horsepower and headroom to spare. I know they are nearfields, but they fill the whole house with clear clean sound when I take the volume up to small gig levels.. best speaker/amp purchase I've ever made..:)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  7. QuantumFlux

QuantumFlux Member

If you can find a used one QSC K10 is so worth it!

8. LqdSndDist

LqdSndDist Member

Sounds fine for guitar, though you could always add a powered sub. Personally I don't think guitar needs that much low end, unless you've got a 7 string.

The sound of a modeler is like an amp'd cab, so your not getting "in the room" sound anyways, more like recorded tone, and 5" monitors can play back music just fine

9. turbolx5oh

turbolx5oh Member

I run my 11R through an Alto TS112A PA speakers. Sounds really good.

10. Studio66

Studio66 Member

Studio monitors here for both my KPA and 11R and couldn't be happier...
    Budget wise you should be fine let your ear pick the best ones in your price range...welcome to the party ;)

11. charley

charley Supporting Member

QSC k8 user here. Probably in your price range used or online...

12. fretbuzzed

fretbuzzed Member

Im having a blast with krk 5 or sony earbuds for late night sheds. I use my macbook to play youtube or itunes stuff to jam with..good times. Best practice rig ever.