Elite Tele - 4th Gen Noiseless Pickups - YUK!!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Karl Houseknecht, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Supporting Member

I bought a new Elite Tele with the new 4th Generation Noiseless Pickups. The guitar itself is absolutely stunning to look at and fantastic to play. Really, it's perfection from a build standpoint.

But holy crap, do those new noiseless pickups absolutely SUCK! Thin, screechy high end, not near enough low end. Compared to my buddy's Whitfill Tele or even the Dimarzio Area T's in my Standard Tele, they're just awful, and they're on the way out to be replaced by a trusty set of Area T's.

Anyone else have this experience? Sucks to buy an $1800 guitar and have to replace the supposedly awesome pickups in it.

2. changeling

changeling Member

That sux.
    But I often wonder how one can evaluate pickups as an independent factor when a guitar is
    made up of so many factors...well,a guitar sound,anyway.

You know what we do,man...adjust away and try to get there before spending more money.

3. MattC

MattC Member

Compared them to the twisted tele and broadcaster in my 2015 std tele. No contest the standard pups crushed them.

Marris Otter likes this.
  4. John C

John C Supporting Member

I had the same experience - I finally got to try an American Elite Tele about a week ago. The neck felt really nice (it seemed to sit better to me on the Tele than on any of the 3 Elite Strats I've tried out) but the pickups on the American Standard Tele really sounded better to me (same experience I had with the Elite Strats). I was playing through one of those silverface Deluxe Reverb "modified reissue" amps. But it left me wondering if the N4 pickups in the American Elites are better suited for a modern/high-gain amp instead of a reissue type amp.

5. Karl Houseknecht

Here, it's a matter of all other things being equal. Same amps, cabs, body woods, neck woods. Really only difference is pickup.

I'm glad I'm not alone. While I was able to do some tweaking to amp settings to get something acceptable, my other guitars will now sound like crap.

6. stratplexi

stratplexi Member

Not surprised...noiseless pickups are humbucking and as a result you lose some desirable frequency content in addition to the noise. By comparison, true single coils will have a broader bandwidth...more high and low frequency content. Obviously the higher the gain the less this is perceptible.

I haven't heard the N4s but I had the same experience with N3s and the Cobalt version. I don't play with a lot of gain and just prefer good single coils in Strats and Teles.

7. e???

e??? Member

I thought the same when I tried it. I was surprised because last years Am. Deluxe tele with the N3's were the only noiseless pickups I've ever liked. They took a step backwards I guess. The N3's really were impressive

8. Andrew.

Andrew. Member

I don't know why so many people bash the N3s. I think they sound fine.

I have them in my 2015 Deluxe V Neck Strat and personally I love them - no hum and to me at least, they sound plenty badass.

I played a new Elite Telecaster two weeks ago and thought the same thing - I thought the N4s were kind of meh - not that they were horrible, but certainly not like the marketing campaign has been describing them. It's subjective of course - I just personally don't think there's a whole lot wrong with N3s.

moosewayne likes this.
  9. Marris Otter

Marris Otter Member

That's a tough pair to beat. I haven't even toyed with the notion of pulling that pair out of my baja.

10. Bob T.

Bob T. Member

I tried an Elite Tele about a week ago at GC. Probably the best feeling tele I have played, but the sound was weird, for a lack of a better word. Something did not sound right. Then I tried an American Standard that just ripped. I should also mention that I was playing through a DRRI and it was set very clean.

Oh well, to each their own.

11. B Hadey

B Hadey Member

It depends what you are looking for. They lack some of that typical classic Strat tone.....they are somewhat compressed. For me, that works.

reverendfrankie likes this.
  12. Karl Houseknecht

I put my Area T's in and the guitar is pure gold now. Really great playing and sounding instrument. Sold the N4 pickups. Good riddance. :)

13. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I really like the Area Ts. Great value.

14. rummy

rummy Member

Try some Dimarzio Areas.

15. Karl Houseknecht

Read up ^. That's exactly what I did.

16. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Member

Which Area T bridge matches well with the neck for volume ? The regular, the "Hot" or the one in between ?

17. Karl Houseknecht

Probably the regular. But I opt for the Hot and make the volume difference work for me. If you have a single channel amp set dirty, you can get at least three different tones with different gain levels just using the pickup selector that way.

18. Billy Moss

Billy Moss Member

Listen to Gregory Kochery play one.