Elitist SG vs. SG Classic

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ken Swanson, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Ken Swanson

Ken Swanson Silver Supporting Member

I'm looking at getting an SG as a backup guitar, and can't spend alot of coin. I have been looking at the Epi elitist SG, and have read some good things about them, but haven't had any around to try. I am also toying with the SG classic with the P90s. Does anyone here have any experience with either, or both? How do they compare, and is the elitist worth trying out. Thanks in advance.

2. MK50H

MK50H Member

Hi Ken,

I have heard VERY good things about the Elitist, I tried for over a year to find one at the right price.

Sadly I was unable to find one, at the right price, and my thoughts have turned towards a Thorn. My Thorn is gonna be finished sometime soon, so all my money is going to that.

But I reckon I will be on the Elite/Elitist trail again in the next year or so.

3. TestierWheat

TestierWheat Member

I have an Elitist Les Paul and I also own a SG Classic.

I can only speak on the Elitist line in general terms since I do not have an Elitist SG. Here's my take on Elitist guitars. The build quality of the Elitist really surpassed my expectations. I could not find a finish flaw on the guitar. The setup out of the box was very good. I think the guitar can be vastly improved by changing the bridge (very cheap in my opinion) and swapping the electronics. The pickups are good and can really be opened up by a RS upgrade. My only other complaint is the finish is a bit on the heavy side.

The SG Classic is one of my favorite guitars. The p90's work well in the thin mahogony body. It covers a wide range of styles. I love the neck on my SG Classic; it is somewhere between the '50s Chunky and ''60's slim taper. I have absolutely no complaints with my SG and would definitely replace it if it were stolen.

4. Tadams

Tadams Silver Supporting Member

I can't compare it to the Epi, but my SG Classic is a great guitar. It has been my favorite guitar since I got it. Nice finish, light-weight, bound neck, and the P90's are just the icing on the cake.

5. bluesman69

bluesman69 Member

Exactly how I feel about my classic!!!

6. Ken Swanson

Thanks to all for the replys!:D What is the difference in neck size, and radius between your Epi Elite LP and your SG classic? I am assuming the neck would be similar on the Elitist SG and LP. Thanks again.

7. TestierWheat

TestierWheat Member

The neck on my Epi Elite LP is a little chunkier than my SG Classic.

8. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

The size of the necks on the Elitist LPs vary greatly, just as Gibsons do. Mine is a tree trunk, while others are more of a medium profile. The same condition may apply to the Elitist SGs.

9. Ken Swanson

Thanks again for all the great advice. I went with the Gibby SG. Believe it or not, my wife told me not to settle for the epi. Not that it is a bad guitar, but the gibson just seemed to be a better investment all around. I got a great deal on one, and should have it by tues. I will post my impressions when it arrives.:AOK My very first nice guitar in HS was a 66 sg special. I could kick myself for selling that one, but this should fill the void.:D

10. MK50H

MK50H Member

I know exactly what you mean about selling a good SG. I got a '63 SG that sounded great, played great. I was inexperienced, and sold it VERY cheap 'cause it looked rough. Now it'd be described as a relic! Big mistake.

I did a similar thing more recently with an early Hamer, I wasn't playing it much, so I sold it for about what I paid for it. More recently I had a bit more cash & regreted selling the Hamer, it turns out it was worth about 4 times more & now I don't have the cash!
    :jo

Still, you live & learn.

11. Ken Swanson

Yeah, if hindsight was foresight!! It was back in the 70's when everyone had to have a brand new les paul and a SS amp. So, I sold my sg for a norlin era les paul with the sandwich body and three piece neck, and sold my twin reverb for a ss peavey somthing amp. :NUTS :confused: . Wish I still had both of them. Oh well.

12. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

Here is an Elitist SG (faded) that I almost bought, everyone I know whohas them says great things about them.

[​IMG]

Here's my SG Classic that I regrettibly sold, a killer guitar and is still on my short list should GAS strike again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]