Elixer electric nanoweb 10-46... should have tried these sooner...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by still.ill, Mar 12, 2015.

1. still.ill

still.ill Member

On my Gibsons I really like the added zing/treble, it's like they captured the tone of d'addario after 3 days, but it stays like that for 3 months
    the smoother slippery feel on the wound strings is also pretty cool

Bossanova, Beto and Blakemore like this.
  2. xXStanXx

xXStanXx Member

I recently switched over to Nanowebs from D'Addarios and I love them. They sound great and the slippery feel of the wound strings is really what sold me on them.

ibis and Unexplainedbacon like this.
  3. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

To my ears they are the opposite. Lack that spank of new strings, kinda dead sounding. I change strings about every 2-3 gigs.

4. Gclef

Gclef Member

I've been using these for more than ten years. Sure there are better sounding strings....for a few days. Nanos get 90% there for months.

They also don't snap very easily
    I had strings on my ibanez (double locking trem) for almost 9 months. They were nearly worn 1/2 way through from the frets

rmg471 and Beto like this.
  5. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

A set of D'Addarios wouldn't last a four hour gig for me. Yeah, they sounded better for the first 30 minutes, but no contest after that. Nanowebs feel so much better, too.

6. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

Been using Elixir 10-46 on all my electrics for years now.....easily the finest strings I have ever played.

In Absentia and rmg471 like this.
  7. HTSMetal

HTSMetal Member

My favorite strings by far! After fifteen years of playing D'addario, Dunlop, Ernie Ball, DR, Musician's Gear, and a boatload of others I can't think of right now, Elixir Nanowebs are the top of the heap. I have them on all of my electrics!

Beto likes this.
  8. ZeyerGTR

ZeyerGTR Supporting Member

My feelings exactly. Been using Nanowebs for over a decade as well, and on all my electrics. I try other strings every so often, but always go back. They're especially great if you have guitars you don't play a lot.

The only downside is that they don't work well for slide for me - maybe the coating compromises the friction or something. Fortunately I haven't played much slide in quite a few years so it's not a big issue.

Beto likes this.
  9. darkinners

darkinners Member

I have been Elixir nanocoat user for at least 5 years, because I have skin/sweat that are very acidic. non-coated string won't last 2 hours before the plain strings turns black.

Nanocoat to me sound quite bland, stiff in bending, wound string feel too slippery.
    But I had no other choice.

After 3 years of strict food regimen. Now I am able to use non-coated strings again and they can last at least 2 months now.
    I can rejoice the feel and tone of un-coated nickel strings.

As much as I hate coated strings, I do agree with you all Nanocoated string can last at least 3-4 months without significantly degradation of tone. Where non-coated strings will quite sound dead in a month or so.

Beto likes this.
  10. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Member

This.

I use Elixir 10-46's on every electric I own. Excellent tuning stability, bright enough for me, and they last MUCH longer the Ernie Ball slinkys (which I love initially; but my fingers destroy them after ONE gig)...

Elixirs are perfect for me.

11. timc

timc Silver Supporting Member

I use these on my Martin, and feel they are a bit darker, but really like them. I am really wanting to tame the brightness/edgy feel of strings on my strat, especially the G,B and E, so I just ordered a set. Been using DR Blues, which were a bit darker than previous Ernie Ball and D'Addario, but hoping the Elixir go just a bit darker.

12. cam.man67

cam.man67 Member

It's interesting to hear everybody's thoughts on Elixirs. I was using 10-46s for a while on my SG, and usually broke the G once a week. Switched over to diadarrio, and haven't broken a string in about 6 years. Just interesting.

cap10kirk likes this.
  13. Boiller

Boiller Member

I love Elixir's, using 10-46's on 25.5" and my LP has 10-52's which I wanted to go up to 11's to get similar tension, but there's only 11-49's. Bummer. I really like the heavy bottom sets.

14. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

Elixers work for me. With 14 instruments I would be forever changing strings with D'Addario or EB.

Beto likes this.
  15. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

I've had similar experiences. Elixirs break way too easy, and I had problems with the coating coming off where the string hits the fret, and where I pick. I tried both Polywebs and Nanowebs. They're some of the worst strings I've ever used (they were the worst until I tried EB Paradigms). Always amazes me that people love Elixirs so much.
    Like you, I switched to D'Addario, and I've never had a problem with them.

16. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

I used these for years but certain ones would always break on me on a regular basis. They work for many folks though. I had the same issue with the D’addario NYXLs....great string as well. Switched to the EBMM Paradigms and they have been great for the past few months with lots of gigging.

17. Unexplainedbacon

Unexplainedbacon Supporting Member

Recently switched from D’Addario’s myself as well and they’re fantastic strings. Just don’t like how the D string in particular gets furry when the coating starts wearing down closer to the bridge

18. John Vasco

John Vasco Member

Got a Taylor acoustic in 2002 with Elixirs on, and so changed to Elixirs for my electrics as well. Have used nothing else since then...

Beto likes this.
  19. Sacrifice

Sacrifice Member

Interesting how there's so many opposite experiences here. Makes you wonder...

I play them. It started on my acoustic, brilliant. Decided to give them a shot on the electric and have never looked back. Again, brilliant. Tone completely blows away the D'Adds and Boomers that I used at first. I still try different strings here and there, but I can't afford a "new strings every week" habit. My 2 month old Elixirs have sounded better than 1 week old uncoated strings.

All goes to show there's no absolutes when it comes to the perception of tone. One man's brilliant is another man's dull.

John Vasco likes this.
  20. Beto

Beto Supporting Member

Hardware quality and degree of conservation/wear. Guitar setup. Players' hands chemistry. Players' technique - how strong he/she hit the strings, how far and wildly he/she bends. So many factors affecting how long strings resist before they rust or break.

There is a positive side of not being able to hear subtle differences. Besides that, I don't have THAT sound in my mind and make a crusade searching for the Holy Grail, so I can live with more noticeable differences - I've spent a lot in different guitars and pedals, so I can find many sounds I like out of Elixir strings and many others. This way, my criterion is how long they last, wether the guitar gets a lot of playing or sits in its case for over one year, so that I don't have to choose between spending fortunes on new strings - there is a known brand that I make rotten after merely changing them on the guitar (right after washing hands), wiping them down and putting the guitar in its case again - or causing premature fretwear.

But, of course, IMO, IME, YMMV, etc. I respect and understand most POV in this and other threads on this subject.