1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Elmwood Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TaronKeim, Jun 26, 2006.

1. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

From what I've heard of the Modena... seems like a heck of an amp. I've heard some complaints about the cleans being lackluster but I really haven't heard that in the clips... especially Matte Henderson's Modena Demo from the site.

Two questions: First - Is there a particular reason the 3100 is no longer being made? - Second - Can the Modena cover most of the ground the 3100 does, if not all?

Thanks ahead of time!

-TJK

2. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

its lead is fabulous..toneful..just the right sustain/.//clear clear tone..sure the clean is like the bogners well 101...but its tone is just great...it didnt take my memory lane well in the loop..but ..up front wow...sounds delicious..

3. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Awesome... those are the sorts of replies I've been looking for.

Any particular speaker you've been prefering it through?

-TJK

4. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

i like early break up..i play straigh a head rock..this amp has everything..the 3100..probably has too many features for me..but god the leads are just wonderfull..the amp along with my mako 100 are seeing some serious playing time...ill find out how gig worthy it is in august.but i think my fans are gonna drool...as ill run the mako and this...my last gig with the rk100 went surprisingly well....that thing was a beast..by fall id like to get the mk50II and rk100...:crazyguy

5. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

is a MONSTER!!!!:Spank

6. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Where do you play and what kind of music? Thanks

Eric

7. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Bump...

Just looking for some more Modena info.

Prefered speaker?

How well the loop works?

How effective the edge and fat controls are?

What gain level it goes to?

Thanks!

-TJK

8. ericb

I'd hazard a guess Matte has played one , not owned it. Steve Snyder has owned it. Ron Menelli has owned it. I'd hazard a guess noone else has (but I might be forgetting about 2 guys) .. It'd be lots easier emailing them . Good luck

Eric

9. matte

matte Senior Member

i've owned 2 of them, actually.

10. matte

matte Senior Member

i love the modena with celestions. the loop works perfectly. to give you an idea as to how the amp goes from clean to crunch boosted, check this clip. the clean chords are just that. the line goes from 4 bars clean>4 bars clean boost>4 bars crunch>4 bars boost(gained out)
    http://mattehenderson.com/ModenaPL.swf

11. ericb

Well my 'guesses' are only 1/4 right most of the time, so I typically know better than to guess. Thanks for clarifying!!!

Eric

12. thegame

thegame Member

Regarding the gain channel of said amp, whats the overall voicing of the Elmwoods like? Super smooth and refined for fusion players, or can it get aggressive and nasty like old Marshalls (with more gain or course)?

13. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Thanks broheim... I've got some blackback cele 30's that I'm thinkin' will mate well with the Modena.

Thanks for the info on the loop and speakers. The amount of gain on tap sounds just about right.

Killer sustain on the boosted clean.

Thanks again.

-TJK

P.S Your particular brand of playing absolutely rawked my whirled... just listening to some of what you've done on albums and your own constructs absolutely changed the way I viewed/approched/heard the instrument. Respect:BEER

14. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Thanks for the help fellas... when I get my Maven paid off I think I'll contact the fellas at Elmwood.

-TJK

15. rjmmusic

rjmmusic Member

The Modena sounds good with Vintage 30s - if they're in the right cab. It needs to be a warmer sounding cab or it'll sound harsh. I had a Mesa vertical 2x12 and it didn't work well with the Modena at all. I ended up using it with a pair of Governors in a Z-Best and got great results.

It's kinda in the middle of the extremes you mention. It can get smooth, but I find it always had some bite to it, especially at higher gains. It can get plenty nasty, but it is more of a modern sounding nasty than an old Marshall nasty.

16. rjmmusic

rjmmusic Member

Me too! :AOK Probably will own one again one day...

17. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Thanks for the replies RJM... I usually don't like V30's... but with the right amp they don't get very fatiguing at all... and they always sound great on digitape.

What made you drop the amp twice?

-TJK

18. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

bite to the leads..especially at the tail end of a note...perfect decay!!

19. Thor

Thor Member

In case you are interested, there is a 3100 for sale right now - selling for a friend, will hopefully have pics tomorrow.

If you want to go with the Moderna, another friend just picked one up with a 2x12 - dealt directly with the folks back in Sweden - very nice to work with.

Cheers,

Ed

20. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Thanks a lot for the reply... if I had the cash I'd pick up that 3100 in a heartbeat.

I will definately be getting in contact with Elmwood.

-TJK