Elmwood and Effects

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ljdsam, Feb 15, 2008.

1. ljdsam

ljdsam Member

Just got my Elmwood Modena 60 :)AOK:dude:D).

Anyway, I could probably do with a delay (ideally with tap), and some sort of modulator (dare I mention chorus?).

Do folks use effects much with Elmwoods, and do they have much impact on the tone?

It's probably be mainly for clean sounds, although I am partial to a bit of delay in slower leads sometimes.
    What would folks recommend I try out? Fairly limited choices in my local stores (best is probably electromusic in Doncaster).

2. flyangus

flyangus Member

I haven't tried any FX pedals in the loop but I run an Eventide Eclipse in it and it sounds amazing - no tone loss that I have noticed even running full series.

:)

3. ljdsam

ljdsam Member

All I've got at the moment is a Boss GT-3, and lets just say it didn't sound amazing...
    I just wanted to keep things simple, hence pedals, but I don't know whether that's feasable.

4. flyangus

flyangus Member

Ah, I see! a Boss might not be doing it justice!:D

I was thinking of getting an analogue delay to put in the loop or a Time Factor just to make a more portable rig for rehearsing. I'm not sure if the loop is line level or not, or if it makes any difference - I just know the Eclipse sounds fantastic in there.

5. Gitarrmongot

Gitarrmongot Member

Hi! I havent got a Modena but a 3100. It's quite sensitive about pedals in front of it. Used a Cry Baby and that one absolutely colored the tone when in off mode. I mainly use the parallel loop with a Lexicon MPX200 with Input set at 9 o clock. That one works great and do'nt color. Nice amp and nice guys who makes them!

6. paulscape

paulscape Member

Ive actually been playing the elmwood a lot raw lately and enjoying it but effects sound very good both in front and in the loop IMO. I have Boss DD6 delay and T-rex tube reverb in loop, have tried out some overdrives for the clean channel, all of which worked smooth and I use a keeley wah in front with true bypass. Great wah.

These are the 1st clips I did with a zoom H4 so they a little rough and jammy. Im doing some recording tomorrow so I might have a play around with effects myself as I haven't done that yet with the elmy.

keeley wah and mild verb and delay in loop: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6221437

2 channels with mild verb and delay in loop: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6273687

7. paulscape

paulscape Member

Ldjsam, here's a couple more clips of the Elmwood M90 with some effects. Its kinda rough as I just plugged in and played. The first clip is clean channel and 2nd clip channel 2.

For the first clip I run through reverb (with light chorus), delay, chorus, phaser, flanger, overdrive (lo) overdrive (hi), wah.

For the seciond clip, channel 2, I run through reverb (with light chorus), delay, phaser/flanger (the VH stuff), octavia, overdrive, wah and everything.

I dont really use effects much but I should play around more with them. The reverb, delay and chorus are in the loop, everything else in front.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6329130

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6329137

Some sweeping and tapping with overdrive and delay: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6331211

8. paulscape

paulscape Member

9. saxophonist56

saxophonist56 Member

he's got his setup with a midi controller and looped effects rack. sounds AWSOME!!

10. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

Modena 60 user here, too. COOL Congrats on your amp!! I am still in the honeymoon state even after 8+ months with mine.

I have a eventide timefactor (all I use anymore) in the loop. it sounds great and didnt color the amp.

The rocktron intellifex and gmajor also sound great through the loop. Used the All Access Controller..

Enjoy!!

Just curious, Which Cab/Speakers are you using?

11. ljdsam

ljdsam Member

Thanks paulscape - glad you pm'd me, I hadn't realised. Amazing, how threads just disappear.

Nice playing!

A rack unit is probably overkill for my uses - when the Boss GT-3 was my main unit I ended up only using 5 pre-sets, and the Elmwood just kills anything the GT-3 could do, even dry.

I wasted a day by trying loads of stuff, discarding it, and then discovering one of my cables is crap...

So need a couple of new cables too, dammit.

Possibly looking at the MXR chorus, and maybe a TC Electronic Nova Delay, although a friend warned me about quality control.

Oh and Rik:

[​IMG]

12. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

NICE! that pic says "take me gigging!" :D

13. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

ok..here ya go......I'm still just using my trusty old Alesis Quadraverb and for the midi control an RJM RG-16 switcher/looper (A godsend by the way...you rock Ron!!!) into the loop of the Elmwood..pretty simple rig really but as Todd said....It get's it.... :AOK

Also using the RG-16 to switch back and forth between the Elmwood and Cornford

[​IMG]