Elmwood Modena 60 vs 90

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lgehrig4, Jan 2, 2008.

1. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

I've recently become interested in this amp and I've read the threads as well as listened to the clips. Some people prefer the 60 and some the 90 which doesn't surprise me since I'm sure they are both great amps.

Could anyone describe the differenced in tone between the two? The cleans, slightly broken up, crunch and high gain tones? I'm sure the 90 has more clean headroom, but I'm looking for tone comparisons.

Right now I would lean towards the 90 based on Brian Kahanek's clips. Maybe I'd feel the same about the 60 if thats what he was playing?

Thanks!

2. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Both Great!! I like the 90 better though in both channels. More headroom in clean and lead, bigger low end, more aggressive if you want it to be,seems more responsive and definitely holds up better in my band situation where the other guitarist uses a Cameron modded '69 Superbass. The 60 has a different and perhaps more prominent mid range but if using the right cab and right eq eq settings , easy to get same tones or very close but the reverse can't be said as the 60 can't match the beef of the 90. The 60 does offer the triode setting and to some that will be very useful.

just my opinion as usual.Great amp.

3. lgehrig4

Thanks Steve. I'm going to scour the net for any tidbit I could find on these, I'm leaning toward the 90 right now.

Was does a triode setting do?

4. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change! Supporting Member

Im getting a 90 in a few weeks. The EL34 60 just isn't going to have the low or high end range of the KT88 90.

5. lgehrig4

Leaning more toward the 90 with every post I read ;)

6. joshsage

joshsage Member

FYI, there is no pentode/triode available on the M90 for some reason they CAN'T have it on there. Didn't want you to jump into a 90 not knowing that it didn't have that option. That is only particular to the M60 and 3100. Also, I may have a 3100 w/ a black chassis coming around. Peter at elmwood said there may be one coming around and offered it my way if it did pop up.
    Thanks,
    Josh

7. lgehrig4

Thanks for the heads up. I was just curious as to what it was, but it won't affect which I choose.

8. Kborg

Kborg Silver Supporting Member

I had both together and was able to a/b them and to my ears and taste the 90 is the clear choice. I was running them both into a pair of Diezel closed back 1 x 12s and the whole bands unanimous comment was when I plugged into the 90 it sounded like I switched to a 4 x 12 cab, the tone just filled out! The cleans were amazing and the gain tones were richer and more complex. I would have kept the 90 if I could have afforded it. The only channel switcher I would like to have some day.

9. Steve Snider

My band mates reacted the same way. Way better . The bass player wondered if they make a bass amp and both the other guitarist and bass player felt it was the best tone I had ever brought to the mix and it sounded much different than the 60.Much bigger with fatter notes and better articulation and response.Really great amp .

10. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

my 90 rocks..thanks josh

i prefer it overall to the..60..though the 60 is very toneful..the 90 slays

11. lgehrig4

Hmmmmm.....starting to sound like a no brainer

12. Randy

Randy Member

I had both (at different times) and preferred the 60.

I think I held on to the 60 for close to a year but the 90 only lasted a few weeks. I really couldn't get a tone I was happy with out of that amp.

Just like every other amp out there though you really need to play them for yourself. We all hear things differently.

13. lgehrig4

Randy, I bought your Budda SD80 about a year ago. How would you compare the gain tones of the Budda to both the 60 and 90?

14. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

For what I play, I prefered the 60 also. The 90 is nice though. I think they are two different animals. The 60 has the mids that I like.

15. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Hey man -

I owned the actual M60 head Todd Duane was using during the infamous "barely on..." clips on youtube. It was a super cool amp, pre pentode switch. It had more of amodern style grind to it than I was looking for, but I would love to try out an M90.

BTW - the Wreck Kit is on to its next victim....no time,no patience...:p

Steve E

16. lgehrig4

:D I don't feel so bad anymore.

17. Randy

Randy Member

I don't remember that much about the Budda honestly... :eek: I think I found the mids of that amp to be too coarse and the bottom end to be too flabby or something... plus it was just loud as hell!

I like the M60 better then the M90 due to the mids. The M90 seemed far too scooped to me, and I like heavy, high gain tones. I just felt like there were some frequencies missing in the mids of the M90. Plus the bottom end was very boomy and undefined, at least through my gear. The M60 lacked some size compared to the 90, but made up for it everywhere else. It was just slightly sweeter and much fuller to my ears.

Again, it's all ear and gear dependent. You may find you love it, as many others have.

18. MesieBooga

MesieBooga Member

I like the 60 more myself as well. But the 90 is great and I sure would like another! That said...there is a graininess tone in KT88's tubes I don't care for. Other than that, back to back I usually preferred the 90. In the end I kept the 60 since it seemed to work better live with the diff mid freq. At home the 90 was the one to have. Drop D and riff!

19. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

yes the 60 is less scooped...but...i use a para eq up front to clean the 90 ..so now i have the best of both worlds.

20. Steve Snider

I can get tons of mids by tweaking the mids on the front in conjunction with the bass and treble and as well as the two knobs on back. All have an influence on every aspect of the mids / lower vs higher etc. I also find the Genelex KT88 reissues incredible in the 90. I may buy my friend's 60 just to compare in detail the possibilities but I am pretty sure if you want to match them up sonically, you can get close either way but the 90 will have way more ass and headroom no matter what.