Elmwood Modena 90

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Keld, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Keld

Keld Member

What a fun amp to play! Sounds great. Thick sustain on channel 2, and great clarity with plenty of crunch on channel one.

Good times.:dude

2. Keld

Keld Member

What, has the Elmwood buzz died down?

I picked mine up a few weeks ago and am very pleased. Anyone looking for a two (plus) channel amp that can do modern very well but still cover some good classic territory would find this worth checking out.

3. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

Had my 90 for well over a year now and I LOVE it!! Great rocker. I would not sell mine and it hasn't ever let me down. Always a blast to play.

4. MrJacko03

MrJacko03 Member

I have tried the M60 and I'm gonna get one ;o) The best clean I have heard from a hi gain amp....and super crunch.

5. Keld

Keld Member

I should explore the cleans more. I've just been enjoying the lead and overdrive tones so much.

6. paulscape

paulscape Member

I hadn't played my Elmwood m90 for a while and starting using it again recently - wicked amp. I really enjoy running my Gibson 61 reissue SG through channel 1 and some boost and wah on...gets a really thick vocal tone, a little like John Mayers tone. channel 2 I prefer up loud so dont get to dime it very often. Turn the m90 up to 10 and start playing some metallica riffs....yum yum!

7. Keld

Keld Member

I haven't really had a chance to turn mine up past 5 - would love to hear it cranked!:phones

8. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

Amazingly Fun amp to play!!!!:drink

9. paulscape

paulscape Member

Mate - next time I take the Elmwood down to rehearsal I'll dime it up and record it for ya. Its awesome controlling the feedback sustain...its rich and dark...but I can't usually play it for long on 10 otherwise I'll blow my eardrums!

:JAM

10. paulscape

paulscape Member

out of interest - anyone care to share their settings for the modena90?

11. miks

miks Supporting Member

My settings:
    Waiting everyday for it to arrive (only a month more till it gets to me.. haha. Sea freight from Cali to Manila).

12. SebiX

SebiX Member

The Modenas simply are amazing... very cool amps! Congrats to everyone owning one of these!

13. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

I've been too busy enjoying my Modena to even look here on the amp board.

I love it.

14. ivan275

ivan275 Member

Below's mine w/ matching vertical 2x12.

I love the amp, but I've found that the disparity between the clean channel's volume and the overdrive channel's volume doesn't quite let me keep true cleans w/out losing volume on the overdrive when switching between channels. I have to reduce the volume on the overdrive in order to keep the clean channel clean when switching between channels, otherwise the clean starts getting hair on it (I want to use the boost on the clean to dirty it up). And reducing the volume on the overdrive doesn't quite give me the sound I'm looking for.

Anyone able to turn up the volume on the overdrive channel and yet maintain a great clean when switching channels (keeping the same perceived volume between channels)? If so, let me know how!

[​IMG]

15. Keld

Keld Member

Drive Ch2 = 1:00
    Bass = 11:00
    Mid = 2:00
    Treble = 1:00
    Volume = 2:00
    Gain = 1:00

Drive Ch1 = 2:00
    Bass = 12:00
    Mid = 3:00
    Treble = 1:00
    Volume = 3:00
    Drive Channel One Volume = 9:00

Edge = 2:00
    Fat = 10:00

Keep in mind that I've got the mids boosted a bit to mess around with more mids and less bass/treb ala the mids thread that floated around here recently.

I haven't even tried to dial in really clean tones, as I'm loving these setting so much right now.

16. Keld

Keld Member

Nice looking setup! How do you like the Elmwood cab?

When you ask about the overdrive channel, are you referring to channel 2, or the boost on channel 1?

17. ivan275

ivan275 Member

Thanks, I like it. :BEER The Elmwood cab is awesome! Bright, punchy, raw, loud, etc.

I'm referring to channel 2 when I speak of the overdrive channel. Channel 1 (the clean channel) sounds great w/ a boost -- nice and crunchy.

18. paulscape

paulscape Member

Thanks mate - quite similar to how I have it although I dont think I have the edge up so high and I have the mids at neutral. I might play around with the mids tonight. Here's a demo I posted a while back of my M90 (and when my hair was short and boyish - eek!). I still want to do an 'Elmwood on 10' video clip soon. Next time Im at rehearsal I'll crank it up and blow my eardrums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn8Aen7aJSk

19. gi doc

gi doc Member

I've had mine for a couple of months now and love it for what it does.........just a great modern O/D amp. Wonder how it compares to the VHT Deliverence, Bogner 101B, or Suhr SE/Classic Plus???? From what I've heard, all of those are fairly similiar in the territory they cover.

20. Keld

Keld Member

Great clip and nice playing:BEER. Such a terrific sounding amp.

I have the edge up because it helps the neck p/u cut through better - I'm not generally a fan of overly bright amps.