elmwood modena mastervolume help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by paulscape, Feb 23, 2009.

1. paulscape

paulscape Member

How can I set my elmwood modena90 up so the master volume is not as loud as a boost or the drive function can be louder?I adore this amp. Going between clean and drive on channel 1 I can get a nice lead boost for lower gain stuff but I can't get the same control with channel 2. While using drive on channel 2 gives me extra gain, I can never get it boost more volume, even if I have the drive volume on max. Then if I use the 2nd master volume footswitch switch as a boost it's essentially TOO loud. I've played around with the two master and channel volumes but it still seems to boost the volume too much. Any help in achieving a mild boost in volume with channel 2, either with the drive or second master would be appreciated!paul

2. Keld

Keld Member

It's a bit confusing, and I'm not even sure I've got it all dialed in yet, but here are my settings from left to right:

Master2 - 11:30
    Master1 - set it for overall volume. At home it's on 8:00 or 9:00
    Drive Channel2 - noon
    Bass - 10:00
    Mid - 2:00
    Treble - 10:00
    Volume - 1:00
    Gain - 4:00
    Drive Channel1 - 1:00
    Bass - noon
    Mid - 3:00
    Treble 11:00
    Volume 4:00
    Drive Ch1 8:00

This is with humbuckers and a Marshall 1960ax. I adjust the Fat and Edge to taste.

Hope this helps a bit.

3. paulscape

paulscape Member

thanks Keld, that's pretty close to what settings I use except I have the treble around noon and my masters are more even around 8-9 each at home, 9-11 when rehearsing or live. I will try your settings exactly 2nite...but have u found that the ch2 drive volume doesn't seem to add any extra volume, even when on full? the ch1 drive does it but not ch2.

4. Keld

Keld Member

Hmmm. I'll have to fire it up tomorrow to see for sure. You might be right about the channel 2 volume, but I usually like to use that to send it into even higher gain, so I guess I haven't thought of it for a volume boost.

Great sounding amp.

5. paulscape

paulscape Member

i'll have to check again tonight if ch2 drive actually has its own volume...cripes I forget now. I know ch1 does...still gotta suss out the dual masters so I get a milder volume boost... Wicked sounding amp for sure. the distortion is rolls royce. I use it in a cover band and while I originally bought it purely for its high gain tones, its versatility is really suprising and very practical.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  6. flyangus

flyangus Member

Turning the Master 2 clockwise reduces the volume jump (IIRC). So if you have Master 2 dimed there is no difference when you switch between the master volumes. Channel 2 doesn't have a volume control on the drive.

7. Keld

Keld Member

You are correct - I don't really get any change in volume with the ch2 drive - just more "beef". Perhaps you could set things up so that you use Vol1 for the volume boost?

8. paulscape

paulscape Member

Yep got it! I was always keeping M2 down thinking if I put it up too high the boost would be even louder. I tried your settings Keld of M2 on 11 ocolock and m1 at 8 or 9 and it was exactly what I was looking for. Awesome. Ch2 drive has no volume just 'gain'. Here's a quick clip I did last night of it. Towards the end Im jumping between ryth on normal and short solo's with M2 clicked in. live/rehearsal this will be an adequate boost. Its a quick bedroom volume clip so just off the cuff messy playing haha. Download the mp3 otherwise you'll get low kb streaming crap if you want a listen.

Thanks Keld and flyAngus! btw I have no idea what IIRC is?

http://www.muziboo.com/paulscape/music/modena-solo-boost

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  9. rcl

rcl Member

THanks for the settings. Nice to see what other folks are doing. I love the elmwood(I have the 60). The volume controls are certainly different but once you get used to them, I can't think of any other way I would want it. Just set master 1 to the loudest you would want, and then turn up master 2 for your normal volume.

Been through a ton of amps and guitars, but this amp ended the amp search. Collings CL-dlx ended the guitar search. This amp also ended my long time abuse of funds in the pursuit if the perfect OD pedal. Don't need one.

10. Keld

Keld Member

Cool Paul - nice clip. Glad you were able to get the settings worked out.

IIRC - if I recall correctly.

rcl - great description, hadn't really thought of the masters that way but it makes perfect sense. Nice setup BTW. And I agree about the OD pedal - this amp has plenty of gain and flexibility.