Elmwood modena90 clips and 1st impressions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by paulscape, Jan 27, 2008.

1. paulscape

paulscape Member

Elmwood modena90

This amp is just awesome! I’ve only had it a couple of weeks and it only had its maiden loud volume test at rehearsal on Saturday. It’s superb for playing around home at low volumes and totally kicks ass once you get it up in volume so the bass and feedback come through. Wow wow wow! Damn this thing looks cool too in the red birch. Like a Maserati GT – unpretentious but meant for serious business.

Ok so I’m a hack guitarist compared to most guys on TGP but I tried to record some clips anyway. My studio is down awaiting an upgrade so I went and bought a little zoom H4 recorder. These things are fantastic for recording your bands jam sessions and would be really handy for recording live gigs and nature sounds. The first clip is recorded on medium gain on a chair about 2ft away from and a little above the amp and the second clip is recorded on low gain about 1 ft away from the speaker cloth. I really have no idea what I’m doing yet with this thing but you’ll get an idea of what it’s like in the room with the amp. The zoom also takes external mics so I’ll have to try it with a shure57 and NT1 condenser mix soon. I have some reverb and delay on in the loop and there’s some room ambience too as I have reflective wooden floorboards. You can hear me click from clean neck pickup, to clean boost to clean boost with bridge pickup and finally channel 2 on normal and with boost at the end when I’m soloing.

At home I’m running the Elmwood through a closed back 2x12 with a V30/G75t celestion mix and at rehearsal through a 4x12 closed back with greenbacks. Both sound great. The greenbacks a little warmer, the v30/gt75 a little crunchier. The clips are through the 2x12 at home and using a Ibanez jem77FL

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=799258

alternate clip links:
    http://www.esnips.com/doc/eba821eb-e5cf-4736-86ba-9fd95ca9b78a/elmwood-M90
    http://www.esnips.com/doc/6b4c4ed3-4e92-436e-9b4d-3c4c70d5cd60/elmwood-M90-2

I don’t think there’s anything I dislike about this amp so far (well apart from the price!). The things I do like however are:
    - Responsiveness to playing. For a relatively compressed amp this thing is so alive and expressive. Even on clean channel you can solo with ease and every little note pops out easily. Its not just a high gain amp – this will do jazz and blues with ease. Chords are rich and sparkly even at low volumes. The amp doesn’t fight you at all.
    - Versatility: not only is it versatile in terms of features, dual masters and channels…the actual tones seem to follow what style you’re playing. Like if you hit some power chords on channel 2 it sounds dark and aggressive yet if you start playing a solo without changing any settings the lead tone is singing, cutting and sweet. Great sustain and this rich dark feedback. Elmwood have truly considered how guitarists play and need an amp to respond. The channel 2 tones are great for metal but also fit right in when playing leads over classic rock, blues etc. Very versatile tone…not buzzy or shreiky. The tones cuts through well and has a fullness to it.
    - The boosts are really cool. I didn’t bring any overdrives to rehearsal and didn’t miss them at all. With the two channels and boost you can cover a lot of ground. I play essentially in a cover band and like the Elmwood site says it will take you from heaven to hell.
    - Different guitars/woods/pickup choices all sound very different
    - The tone of this amp is kind of unique to me… a marshall usually sounds like a marshall…its hard to pin point what the elmwood sounds like so it feels like your creating your own unique sound along with it. I think that’s what Im liking best about this amp…the way it encourages you to play your own stuff rather than imitate tones of the greats. It has this delicious harmonic overtones that come through and wonderful response to picking attack.

Thanks to Peter from Elmwood, Josh Sage from Rebel and a whole bunch of people at TGP for helping me out with my questions on this amp before I purchased!

Id be really interested to hear other Elmwood owners settings and setup!!

2. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

Me too! the only thing I run in the loop is the eventide timefactor.. Fun to just play the elmwoods! (m60 owner here)

3. aquadog

aquadog Member

that thing sounds so badass

4. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

Yup.....I've had my Modena 90 for about 3 weeks now and well.....I love it!! (3 weeks is a long time for an amp to still be here....lol!) No plans on it leaving anytime soon...:dude

5. paulscape

paulscape Member

And if you still use pedals they sound great through it. Handles pedals well. I love the fx loop being able to go from serial to parallel too.

6. sled

sled Member

:cool:

I'm really loving mine. there's sure a lot of possibilities with this amp.

7. crwnedblasphemy

crwnedblasphemy Member

I really would love to play an Elmwood. They seem very responsive and the tones I hear are great.

8. saxophonist56

saxophonist56 Supporting Member

If you are a hack guitarist i don't understand why. were all the elmwood clips with the 90? :AOK

9. DEMENTED

DEMENTED Supporting Member

You're no hack and that's a badass sounding amp, if I only had the cabbage...:eek:

10. paulscape

paulscape Member

Thanks demented and saxophonist56!