ELO on the Grammys

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jmcorey, Feb 8, 2015.

1. jmcorey

jmcorey Supporting Member

2. vintage saddles

vintage saddles Supporting Member

Made Macca stand and cheer ...

3. Rick Towne

Rick Towne P&W--Praise & Western--on 6, 8 and 12 strings. Silver Supporting Member

I remember that song "Medieval Woman" very well. But where were the cellos?

4. davebc

davebc Member

If Billy Preston was the 5th Beatle Jeff was the 6th.

Much love and respect for Jeff, ELO, and his entire body of work.

You could argue Jeff single handely resurrected Roy Orbison's career.

5. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

Awesome, thanks for posting the link! I've been a huge ELO fan since I was a kid, back then they owned the airwaves. It's great to see them get exposure again.

I do wish Jeff would bring back some of the original members though, only Richard Tandy on keys is an original. Bev Bevan is still around IIRC, as well as most of the string section. Check out some of the original ELO in concert videos, they were one of the best bands around back then, and the horns were a huge part of the visual performance.

To be REALLY retro, he should do 10538 Overture (got much exposure recently in the American Hustle soundtrack) with Roy Wood as a guest, as he was a founding member of ELO along with Bev Bevan.

With those huge sunglasses and all that hair, Jeff Lynne hasn't aged a bit since the 70s. It's possible nobody has seen his face in over 40 years.

6. jmcorey

Thanks. Glad to have posted it.

My brother and I were both lamenting that Richard Tandy was the only other original member. I know that Kelly Groucutt (bass) died a few years ago. I think that Bevan was in a group called ELO II. Not sure if there is a rift now or not. I think they did Evil Woman and Mr. Blue Sky because they are the group's most recognizable songs after an absence of new material since 1981 or so.

7. jmcorey

No question about what you have to say here. All true and great stuff. I thought it was cool that Paul McCartney, one of whose albums was produced by Jeff, was standing and grooving to the song before he realized he was the only one.

I think that everyone else should have taken a cue from the living legend doing that to do the same. If I were in the audience, I would have.

8. davebc

davebc Member

If by chance you haven't seen it, there's an incredible bio on Jeff on Paladia channel.
    If was really mind blowing. It was produced in his home/recording studio, where the furniture is arranged according how it impacts the sound in the room.
    And what a cliche that was, Petty, Harrison, Orbison', Dylan, McCartney.

9. choucas09

choucas09 Member

Don't know if you guys know what started him playing live again, but last year a radio DJ in the UK asked him if he'd consider playing live again and he said if enough people were interested he would. By the end of the show 10,000 people had contacted the show so he did last summer's Hyde Park gig. Check it out on Youtube.

10. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

I saw him sit in a couple of years ago with Jonathan Wilson, Mike Campbell, Jackson Browne and Bob Weir for a benefit at the Troubadour in Hollywood. I saw him walk in at the start of the night and was hoping he would get up there. My wish was granted.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  11. custom53

custom53 Member

Yep.. Probably the only enjoyable thing I saw on the Grammy's was Jeff/ELO...

12. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

"Mr. Blue Sky" is that great doc that was on Palladia. Fantastic stuff. What a great musician and producer.

13. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

Were any original members involved?

14. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Supporting Member

The amazing thing about Jeff is that he had the rock/classical hybrid thing perfected long before ELO, even before The Move. I find this 1969 Idle Race single as epic as ever:

15. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

They might have been the tightest performance of the night. Magnificent.