Embarrasing tube hoarder moment, episode #394...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Scumback Speakers, Apr 13, 2019.

1. jmoose

jmoose Member

There's a guy in northern NJ who built his repair business around little red stickers...he's swiped tubes among other shady things. Now those stickers are a warning label.

I'd strongly encourage anyone who has a large stash of tubes to let someone else know, esp if your older and or in ill health.

Some years ago when I worked for a vintage based pro audio dealer we got a few large boxes & totes of tubes from a lady who's husband passed away. We got like 3 or 4 boxes, and she said those were just the ones she hadn't thrown away!!

To her they were worthless junk. Thankfully someone who knew better got involved and managed to save a few hundred NOS American & British tubes. Can't even ponder what went to the curb...

Not the only time I've heard that story. Happens more often then you'd think. Way more often.

SnidelyWhiplash and MoarGear like this.
  2. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Supporting Member

Wish I had a box like that in my closet.

MoarGear likes this.
  3. gtrplyr1

gtrplyr1 Member

I've got a pretty good collection of mullards, tele's. B Boys. Even though I no longer have any tube amps (I live in an apartment), I still can't bring myself to part with them. You never know, right?

Scumback Speakers and 59Vampire like this.
  4. Fatboy666

Fatboy666 Member

I feel you OP, I'm always finding little boxes with pedals or parts that I forgot all about. Funny enough, I found a bag this morning with some GE 12ax7's I got at a radio show a year ago. Forgot all about it.

Now it's a new thing with me - friends returning stuff I lent them years ago that I forgot all about! Bikes, drums, amps, PA stuff, pedals, etc.

5. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

Can never ever have enough glass. One day they will be extinct.............lol

Scumback Speakers likes this.
  6. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

In a further escapade of tube hoarding, I was digging through the shop for another part and found a zip lock. (Smacks forehead) Sure enough, two Bugle Boys, one Mullard, one GE, two Telefunkens. They were marked spare tubes for demo amps on the bag.

I guess I'll hire John Hurtt and Big Mike to come down for a weekend and help me sort this place out. I'm sure they will be happy to accept tubes as payment for reducing the clutter! LOL

Badtone likes this.
  7. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

yes. yes I will.

"clutter" is defined as marshall heads you won't be needing that'll fit in the honda, right?

Badtone likes this.
  8. Scumback Speakers

Better hurry, I only have like 9 left...

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  9. Scumback Speakers

Ok, today a friend came over and we did 3-4 hours of tube tasting, testing and OMG! screaming. The clear winner is....I'm not going to tell you until I buy some more on eBay. Yes, I have some, now I just want a bunch more.

I'll say this much, Tube Tramp aka Terry Kilgore is right, again.