Embarrassed to ask but....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by homeunit, Mar 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. homeunit

homeunit Supporting Member

.....I’ve been playing far too long and have enjoyed good strat tone not to know this, but I don’t,

What makes a strat honk or cluck like this?

and this?

I have an opportunity to acquire a parts strat built with warmoth maple neck and alder body. It has dimarzio pickups in it, which I’m not a fan of, they’re
    - bridge - virtual solo
    - middle - Area 51
    - neck - heavy blues.
    The guy has a toggle switch wired to turn on the neck pickup, a push button kill switch like the Evh guitars have. He also has another mini toggle that changes to value of the single tone knob. I’m not a fan of any of that outside of being able to turn the neck on and off, but I’d do that like the fender ultras with the inner button on the volume knob.
    It has a 6 point vintage trem on it with a graph tech nut.
    I’m running a Mesa tc-100 with this, and I can’t really get the strat sound out of the strat.
    I also want this sound as well,

The question is, can it be done, and if so how? Or is it worth starting with something else?

I can upload some pics if needed.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Middle position pickup on a Strat.(?)

3. homeunit

Position 2 and 4 for dire straights, neck for lord david

Sofakingblue, DV52, teleman1 and 11 others like this.
  4. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

I think/thought Mark Knopfler used a Strat with the 3-position switch on that first album.(it’s been a while since I read about it)

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Vintage wind strat pups, not RWRP, use neck/mid or bridge/mid, stock or similar wiring, Fender style amp, adjust eq.
    My Strat only does a fair imitation but it is not right on the formula.
    Splits, and fatter winds are not as good.
    Try a vintage style wired pickguard for a quick comparison, if you can.

6. drive-south

drive-south Member

He also used a compressor. I think it was an Orange Sqeezer.

MrDoty, 56Tweed, Cousin and 2 others like this.
  7. homeunit

the compressor I figured on. I’m wondering what I have to do with what I have to make it more to my taste.

A Duncan matched set of ssl5s? I just don’t know.

8. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

You're right, he used duct tape to hold it in place.

Tommy Biggs, NorCal_Val and homeunit like this.
  9. dazco

dazco Member

strat bridge/middle with vintage style/output pickups, and personally i like to use a very good dynamic amp tone that preserves the percussive attack with a classic rock dgree of gain then roll the guitar down to about 5 to get a clean tone with that compressed feel and sound to it. It's much more expressive IMO than a totally clwan amp and compressor. Treble bleed is a must.

10. Surfreak

Surfreak Member

All Strat guitar have that typical hollow sound and the Knopfler combo is the mid/bridge setting (which can be achieved also with a 3-pos selector).

Some sound honkier than others, and in my experience this is more prominent with lower output, balanced pickups.
    The drawback is that your neck and bridge pickups on their own typically sound thinner and weaker.

11. Dashface

Dashface Member

You’re not wrong on that Gilmour clip - he did use a bit of the ol’ in-between position on that song. He is not a huge user of that sound though - you’ll find the majority of his work is neck or bridge.

Knopfler, as pointed out here, was a huge sucker for the bridge-middle combo. Some strats seem to have a bit more honk than others, but most should get you there. A compressor helps - Knopfler and Gilmour both use heaps, though different types.

Clapton used this sound a lot in the 70s as well - check out some of his live cuts of the time for some really super work on the bridge-middle combo.

Billy Van Beck and BADHAK like this.
  12. Eugene Wallace

Eugene Wallace Member

some guitars have a lot more quack than others.
    Some guitars are simply not resonant enough in the mids ( or have low mid frequency response ) to produce a good ' quack'.
    method, place guitar pickup selector in either middle position or middle/bridge.
    play.
    this will tell you how much quack the guitar has.
    you can get more quack by changing to another pickup brand/type, however this affects everything on the guitar, not just the ' quack'.
    Different pickups will only get you more quack within a range, a quite narrow one.
    It's the wood of the guitar that dictates the widest band of variance.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  13. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

My 73 Strat with Tonerider Pure Vintage pickups is the most Stratty Strat I've owned. More so than the CS Masterbuilt and Teambuilt Strats I've owned. The 73 will do those tones easily into the right amp. Even into a crunchy 2203 it'll quack nicely in the inbetween positions with the guitar vol down and get a sweet spanky neck pickup tone. Apart from a tone control on all pickups there's no fancy wiring or mods.

14. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

This is true. I've had Customshop Masterbuilt(with Abby 69 pickups) and Teambuilt Strats that just didn't quack well in the inbetween positions. I changed pickups multiple times on the Masterbuilt but it didn't improve the quack.

Dashface likes this.
  15. Eugene Wallace

Eugene Wallace Member

wise words, badhak.

To find the best guitars, you need the finest tonal detection devices every created - your ears.

BADHAK and homeunit like this.
  16. fendergeek

fendergeek Member

17. sbr

sbr Member

For that Gilmour one, most of that crystal-clear bell-like clean tone comes from the Boss CS-2 and the EMG active pickups he used. And a loud, clean amp.

Of course, the fingers play their role, but I'd say 95% of that tone is the CS-2 and the EMGs.

18. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Supporting Member

Out of phase pickup switching is the basic tone you're hearing, but only part of it. The guitar also has compression added.
    But Mark's finger picking technique accounts for much of the sound.

Cousin, bojocatkite and homeunit like this.
  19. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

Strat, Orange squeezer and a BF Twin.
    I think that will get you there much quicker than looking for particular options on a strat.