Embarrassed to ask but....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by homeunit, Mar 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. David Garner

David Garner Gold Supporting Member

Compression and pos. 2 for Dire Straits.

2. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Silver Supporting Member

Yes, but remember that the 5-position switch came about because Strat players were "balancing" the 3-position selector switch between settings to get that sound.

3. Axis29

Axis29 Member

I've owned six good quality Strats in my years of playing. Had all kinds of pickups in them and always found one thing that worked better than any other to get more quack....

Lower your pickups.

And, I mean slam them down to the pickguard. Then, slowly raise them to get the sound you want.

The quackiest pickups I've ever had in a Strat were the Tex-Mex in my Roadworn. Super quacky! They were practically cocked wah, without a wah. But, I also had them way low in the pickguard!

I got more quack out of my ClassiC Player 50's with 57/62's by lowering them as well.

There's also more Hendrix in the lowered pickups as well...

Nivs, Dashface, woof* and 5 others like this.
  4. Cousin

Cousin Member

I agree, non RWRP pickups give a much nicer, more talkative sound in between pickups, much more open and less of a plastic tone. As others have mentioned the compressor is very prominent on the early Dire Straits stuff, what he does with that sound and his talent is staggering.

Achewood_Johnson and homeunit like this.
  5. Lotis

Lotis Silver Supporting Member

Ditch the pick. If you can play with your fingers/thumb and dig in it creates that snap and compression.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Cousin, Scrapperz and MikeMcK like this.
  6. doublescale1

doublescale1 Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    The source of the quack is because of the relative distance each pickup is from the other on the guitar. When Leo began shipping Strats, and for many years after, all the pickups had the same wind direction and same polarity, and for the most part the same output (acknowledging the often at times wide and random output due to a primitive winding process - the early pickups were not matched for output nor were they spec'd for precise wire-wind counts), the quack was always there even with 3 position switching, just a hidden feature, and discovered quite by accident or intent by some bored guitarist. I proved this point to myself when I put three Duncan SSL's (two 1's and a 5 in the bridge) in an EC Strat, the neck & middle were same output, the bridge just a bit hotter, and NOT RWRP, just like Leo started shipping them. They sounded amazing, bell-like vintage strat tones, Seymour does know a thing or two about pickups (I then put a Back Plate Silent Single Coil system on the guitar as well, it was incredibly effective and the EC Strat sounded like a real Strat). You can get some degree of quack with 3 P90's in a strat as well due to where the pickups are positioned on the guitar. It does seem, as many have suggested in this thread, that the lower output vintage style pickups when lowered from the strings will quack the most prominently. Quack forth.

teleman1 and bojocatkite like this.
  7. homeunit

homeunit Supporting Member

Thanks for all the great reply’s guys. Like I said the electronics are all wrong on the blue strat, but is sounds great unplugged and plays great.

would these work then
    https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/custom-staggered-strat-calibrated-set?__uuid_ref=5e8362696d6d2

8. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

Yup! Another thing I learned recently, I lower the middle pickup and raise the bridge.

9. homeunit

They’re the Duncan ssl 5 calibrated set.

10. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Unless you have a completely crazy wiring scheme and pickups you can get quack out it. You don't need to worry about winding directions. You don't need to fear ceramic block magnets or chase alnico.

Lower all the pickups flush with the pickguard, raise the bridge until volume balance with the neck pickup when switching back and forth. That is it. You are seeking low output and differences in pickup vs pickup output strength. I have one strat with a 4kohm middle and 6kohm neck and bridge.

Dire Staights use #2 bridge and middle pickups in parallel. Pick, or finger pick, closer to the bridge saddles, but not in country twang closeness.

Pink Floyd use the neck pickup. Pick between the middle and neck pickups.

If you do end up chasing new parts: go for lower kohm wound, stagger pole. The Squire bullet stock Indonesian pickups are actually getting more of springy sound. Get high spec end 225kohm volume pot., lower value tone caps like 0.01uF.

thesjkexperienc and homeunit like this.
  11. homeunit

What about the Duncan Gilmour calibrated set of three? From what I can tell they’re all SSL 5. I like what the write up says.

12. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^

Look for vintage output pickups and use vintage wiring in the position that has bridge and middle pickup selected.

Duncan SSL5 is a bad choice, if you want Duncan get the SSL1. The SSL1s are already rather over wound and the 5s are different wire and magnets than vintage.

Gilmour did use SSL5s, but that wasn't until after The Wall. A good Fuzz Face or Muff and vintage pickups hits all the real Pink Floyd tones.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  13. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

The good ones have a sound that pops out, even in a mix.
    It's easy to find a hb guitar, with splits, that has elements of the Strat flavour but that sound will not stand up to close scrutiny in a band situation.
    Likewise all Strats, even if somebody tells you it has nice quack, may not perform as well as needed.
    It's a sound that has to be handled delicately to thrive, imo.

14. MrDoty

MrDoty Supporting Member

emg SA pickups sound great. a slept on option around here. emg used to sell a guard with gilmour setup all pre wired. I had one and it sounded badass in a SQUIER!!!!!! i play a suhr classic s these days and it will ge all those tones no problem, if you can play like that. a fender amp helps too.

15. doublescale1

doublescale1 Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    Yes, those will work, they are all SSL5's which are overwound for higher output than the SSL1's. They are also Reverse Wound so you'll get hum-cancellation in positions 2 & 4 on your 5-way switch. But because they live where the live on your guitar, the quack will be there - with the higher output start out low in the guitar as possible and slowly bring their height up to tase, but short of the pickups magnetic field pulling the strings out of tune (stratitise).

homeunit likes this.
  16. homeunit

thanks guys, I'm not going for dead on knofler or Gilmour, I just want an unmistakable strat tone in all positions.

What compressor do you guys suggest I was looking at the sp by xotica

17. Dashface

Dashface Member

(...And a Tube Driver)

18. Dashface

Dashface Member

Just go classic. The Dyna Comp, the BOSS CS2, or - my favourite for flexibility - go with an Analogman Mini BiComp for two delightful compressors in one tiny box!

homeunit likes this.
  19. Eugene Wallace

Eugene Wallace Member

Quack tone is just pure mids.

Select a guitar that most sounds like a cat fighting, and you've got quack tone.

I've got a guitar here that quacks like a duck, it quacks everywhere on the fretboard.

Play a blues shuffle and it quacks. It sounds like there's a wah pedal on about 60 percent the whole time.

If you change the pickups in the thing guess what it still quacks - go figure.

Just as well there's about twenty of the things laying about the place here.

homeunit likes this.
  20. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

There's no phase or polarity thing going on with a typical (normal) SSS Strat. It's three SC wired in parallel. And as previosuly mentioned, the amount of 'quack' is pretty relative to the poistion and height of each pickup. I'll also agree some bodies/necks just have more 'quack' than others. I don't know why.

Scrapperz likes this.