Embarrassed to ask but....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by homeunit, Mar 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. scott944

scott944 Member

Beat me to it.

Scrapperz likes this.
  2. AlanH

AlanH Member

This is the best tone I've ever heard for this song. Many other versions just sound too thin to me....

3. Eugene Wallace

Eugene Wallace Member

As a player, I'm less interested in 'why', than just finding a body that has superior tone properties. The ' why' factor is a distraction, but a necessary one I'm afraid when looking for advantage in tone.

homeunit likes this.
  4. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Home unit. TONIGHT, put headphones on when it is quiet and listen ssl-1's at the Duncan website. Position 4 glass is where it is at. SSL-1 are glassy, vintage and can be tamed with volume and tone.

Mincer and homeunit like this.
  5. teleman1

Too bad he isn't using a strat with ssl-1's.

6. homeunit

homeunit Supporting Member

That’s a first, ask a question about a strat and get suggested a LP with the exact opposite sound of what I’m after. Interesting.

teleman1 likes this.
  7. homeunit

will do, thanks.

8. Presc

Presc Member

I just did a little clip of the Sultans solo out of sheer quarantine boredom. Here it is:

I’ve been a huge Knopfler fan for a long time. It’s really all the bridge/middle setting. To my ears, he uses that far more than neck/middle. Low output pickups, a little bit of compression, and blackface Fender amp on the edge of breakup will get you there, although I’ve read he used a Roland JC120 often as well.

Fingerstyle technique is also important as MK does not use a pick - he can snap the strings which emphasizes the quack.

My Strat in the video above has Rocketfire Total 60s pickups. Amp is a Deluxe Reverb and I’m running a Barber Tone Press at low compression/blend. I step on a Barber Gain Changer OD with the gain set pretty low after I lay down the rhythm loop. But really any decent 50s/60s repro Strat pickups will do just fine.

homeunit likes this.
  9. homeunit

nice job, thanks. You got it clucking a bit there. I think I’ll hang onto this strat, get the electronics sorted and start messing with the pickups.

10. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I love that MK strat sound, although I come from a Richard Thompson background when he had a very similar sound. Some say that Mark Knopfler had low output pickups, but a hot middle pickup -- a Dimarzio I believe. In fact, Don Mare used to sell a set for a Dire Straights tone with these specifications. For me, I take the tone knob off of the middle pickup and put it on the bridge pickup. The lack of tone control makes the middle pickup a bit hotter and gets a nicer #2 and #4 position. Also, I like to play loud and clean. Mark used a compressor, but it helps to have your clean sound loud enough to be pushing the power amp to just being on the cusp of overdriving. Have fun!

homeunit likes this.
  11. Mincer

Mincer Member

I agree with SSL-1s, but also SSL-2, which is the same set but flat poles. I think it is better for modern Strats with a plain G string.

12. teleman1

Listen to everything that applies, there are antiquities too

13. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

Lindy fralin rewired MK’s pickups, so I’d ask him, he’s been in his guitar.

14. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I've read that Sultan's was played on the middle pickup only? Sounds like a low wind pickup to me, maybe around 5k, with formvar wire.

15. homeunit

got to say, I like the ssl5 the best. Now what for neck and middle, ssl5s as well?

16. teleman1

Nothing wrong with two ssl-1's and a 5 in the bridge.

homeunit likes this.
  17. homeunit

18. straightblues

straightblues Member

I have attached an article below to check out. He used a hot Dimarzio pickup in the middle position. If you put any hot middle pickup and set it up close to the strings and lower the bridge and neck pickup, you will get that sound. It takes a little bit of time to dial it in, no pun intended. If you look at videos of Knopfler during this time, he started with the hot pickup in the middle slot and then he moved it at some point.

https://www.mk-guitar.com/2008/12/10/the-dimarzio-fs-1-pick-up-of-mark-knopflers-red-stratocaster/

homeunit likes this.
  19. homeunit

Thank you. Lord Davids vibe is the priority, Marks is second for me.