Embarrassingly basic question on reverb jack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MisterTV, Feb 19, 2008.

1. MisterTV

MisterTV Supporting Member

If I have a 1/4" jack to activate reverb remotely, will any basic single button footswitch work? There's nothing propietry about these, are there? e.g. I don't need to buy a Fender footswitch for a Fender amp?

2. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Stick a guitar cord in the jack. On the other end hold a paperclip or a piece of bare wire across the tip and the shaft on the other side of the insulator ring. If it turns it on and off, all you need is ageneric cheap footswitch. I've also seen guys plug a guitar cord in the jack and the other end into an unpowered effects box and use that as a switch.

3. MisterTV

MisterTV Supporting Member

Got it... that makes total sense. Thanks for the expertise, billyguitar!

4. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

You want a single-pole, single-throw switch.

5. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I've been jacking with guitar stuff since the 60s so I know a lot of useless stuff that won't help me earn a living but sometimes it helps a younger guy. Good luck.

6. MartinC

MartinC Member

I tend to always read the "embarrassingly basic question" threads ... I almost always learn something.

Thanks ;)

7. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Another I love is that the older footswitchable amps have an RCA plug. All you need is a 1/4 to RCA adapter from Radio Shack, and bingo your modern 1/4 footswitch can serve as the footswitch for your old amp. That's what I'm currently doing - Solemate Aux Footswitch to Male 1/4 plug to adapter to RCA male plug to amp. Bingo, on/off tremolo to go with the pedal's on/off reverb!