Emerald Green Distortion w/ 6v6s (d/13)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by themusicboxstudios, Nov 28, 2005.

1. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

I was wondering if this pedal will give me a nice voxy tone out of my divided by 13 ftr 37, or if you guys have any other suggestions to get a cool AC30/Matchless tone out my amp.

thanks, jon

2. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I'm betting that it will. Email Dean (Pinkstrat) and he can help you with info and you can buy the pedal off him too. He's a BJF Dealer.

I love my EGDM. It is my favorite OD/Dist. It has one of the sounds I've wanted for some time. Haven't tried it with 6V6's though but it is an amazing pedal. If AC30/Matchless is what you're after, then look no further. This is the only pedal I've found that can do what it does.

I play a Tele through a Tophat Club Royale 2X12 (El84's).

Definitely check one out.

3. themusicboxstudios

good to hear, i'm just having hard time spending that much money since it seems like we're getting so hammered by the fact that the pedals are made in europe. :(.

4. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

You know what? I did at first too. But, I really think that in the boutique world you get what you pay for most of the time.

I've spent alot of time and money to find the EGDM and I think that it's well worth it. BJF's pedals have the most mojo to me of anything I've tried.

Besides, if you don't like it you can sell it for most of what you paid for it. I think I saw one on the emporium rescently. You should check that out too.

5. themusicboxstudios

ya, i hear ya.

btw, how do you like your juicebox?

and, can you dial in more midrange with the sbeq without adding more gain?

6. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

The Juicebox can power the sun. I got it because it had more options and more power that it's competitors. Great customer service too.

Yes. The SBEQ can be set many ways. I ran my BBB fuzz/treble booster into EGDM and into SBEQ with mids emphasized and got a very cool Brian May like tone. To do so, you just pull back the bass and treble knobs. It is not extreme which means that all settings are very useful even with EQ knobs maxed. The volume is totally separate and can be set to boost or not to.

Some say to buy the SBEQ first but I say find your base sound (OD) and then add it later as an enhancer.

7. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Im mostly a 6v6er and with t he EGDM the speakers are extremely important to getting 'that' sound..... it has its own sound with 6v6s and Jensen type speaker (actually does a really good SRV this way)

BUT running into Greenbacks made all the difference, as they do some tone shaping and compress much easier and really help to mimic that middy compression of a vox ......

I was kickin Doug Pettibones butt with this rig (in my basement and mind ):D

but yeah the EGDM can be a great match with 6v6s too..... :cool:

8. Patch

Patch Gold Supporting Member

Hi!
    Here are Mad Professor's recommendations:

Fenders BF&SF : BBOD, HB, PPF, LGW, RRB ; if SBEQ is used last in chain just about any model I make works.

Note silver face Fenders are more picky

Fender Tweed: SBEQ,HB and RRB- sometimes DRD, PPF, LGW
    ( generally not much gain is needed)

Marshall : DRD, HB, LGW, PPF, RRB -SBEQ is useful but not critical and may give a second channel option

Hiwatts: DRD, RRB, PPF,HB, LGW

VOXes: EGDM,HB, SBEQ,RRB( applies to most Vox style amps)

Trainwrecks: RRB

Dumbles: RRB, (BBOD or HB on clean channel only)

Peavey ( most series): BBOD (on rock models DRD or LGW)

Randalls: DRD, LGW

Mesa Boogies: most series LGW exception Blue Angel : only HB works

9. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

I fell in love with the EGDM after hearing it through a Z28 (6V6 amp with an EF86 front end). Sounded very cranked vox/matchless to me, and really worked well with that amp. I bought one to use with my Ghia thinking it would work equally well to "set my amp on fire," and I ended up somewhat disappointed with the results... So my experience is that it was THE pedal for what I wanted to hear with a 6V6 amp, and it might be just the ticket for what you are looking for. I also really dug it through my Tweed Champ (5F1 circuit with a 6V6 power tube), so my preference for the EGDM through a 6V6 amp holds up there as well.

The distortion pedal I've fallen in love with for my Ghia, Champ, and Lovepedal 1/2 watt Vintage amp is the Catalinbread SCOD. Works perfect for my tastes with all three amps, and it's considerably easier on the wallet.

As an aside, it looks like based on the BJF recommendations list in the previous post that the RRB would work well with a lot of the types of amps I prefer/use... I might have to try that one at some point!

10. themusicboxstudios

thanks man, i actually just bought a scod thanks to you, i think i'm gonna go ahead and compare the two. i might pick up a sbeq as well

11. Craise

Craise Member

+1 I think DonneR nailed it
    I just bought 4 BJF pedals to try out with my 6v6 1964 fender Princeton Reverb (LGW EGDM HB DR) and all of them sounded killer!
    I really wish I could afford to keep them all. But I settled on the DR and HB combo. But could have easily kept the EGDM but I only wanted to keep one Heavy distortion on my board and the marshall flavor fits more with my Les Paul/SG ABB, Cream Heavy Blues Style. My Princeton has a jensen in it and although it did sound killer....it did pick up even more of that vox tone when I plugged into my friends greenback cab. I wish the $ would pick up overseas! I'd own all the BJF stuff. I got to try out the BJF tour box about a year ago and was blown away. Just now getting the cash to buy some! Btw I have a mint EGDM and LGW for sale in the Emporium :D

12. themusicboxstudios

my cab has a blue and a g12h30, so i'm at least half way voxy. :). I might hit up that pedal you have in the emporium as soon as i figure out my funds.

13. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Naw man, you ALL the way voxy with those speakers! I think adding the H30 to the mix is like 'vox but better.' You should be able to get the tones you like with those speakers, your d/13, and the right distortion pedal. Maybe the SCOD will get you there, maybe it will be the EGDM, or mabye you'll end up with both on your board mix'n & match'n. Either way, hope you like the SCOD, and hope you get to "THAT" tone!

:dude

14. themusicboxstudios

thanks so much, i'll let you guys know how it turns out once i get my board all figured out.

15. themusicboxstudios

another question, if you guys had to pick getting an emerald green distortion or sea blue eq first, which would you pick?

i'm not sure if i'm ready to take the plunge for both.

16. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

17. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

What other drives do you have,,,,?
    the SBEQ doesnt provide much actual distortion itself, it just makes good drives sound great

18. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Well, you've got a SCOD coming your way it sounds like... that's my be-all, end-all distortion pedal. Given that, if you're going to buy something else, the SBEQ might be the smart one to go with given that you'll already have the SCOD for distortion/dirt. You can also stack the SCOD with the SBEQ to tailor the overall EQ to your liking.

19. themusicboxstudios

well i got the scod and I LOVE IT ..... buuuuttt ... i think it's too bright for my rig. I was wondering if the emerald green is brighter and retains the how end more. The scod has the sound i'm going for to a certain extent. anyone tried both?

thanks, jon

20. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

I think there's somewhat of a similarity in the distortion character between the two pedals, but the SCOD is more aggressive and open with a more full frequency range, whereas the EGDM is a little bit more compressed with a more focused upper mid emphasis (like a cranked vox). The EGDM certainly does not have a bigger low end than the SCOD. The EGDM DOES have an internal trimmer to adjust the brightness to match your amp.

Sorry to hear that the SCOD is too bright with your rig. I've found it to be very neutral and balanced with mine.