Emerald Pro HRM setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by moss, Jan 19, 2015.

1. moss

moss Member

How does one go about setting up HRM inside a E-pro I did it a couple years ago and I would like to take another stab at it. I think i set gain inside to max.
    I seen Larry Carlton a Few weeks ago and it made pull out the Emmy Pro. I played out with it the other night and had a hard time getting it where I wanted it. Clean channel is lifeless but if i turn the gain on it up I dont like the od channel as much. Also I wish the mid switch was on the footpedal.

2. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Trial and error, unfortunately.

3. csanford

csanford Supporting Member

YMMV, but here's how I try to dial in HRM style amps:

First, I should mention that on HRM amps, I don't use the OD without PAB mode, there is too much bottom end otherwise, so my instructions are for OD + PAB mode only:

1) set the OD gain trimmer to about 25k above ground or thereabouts (this is almost off!) to start. Depending on your guitar's pickups, you may want to add a little more, but don't over-do it.
    2) set the HRM treble and mid controls at their mid-point, and turn the bass control off, then while playing the low E string, turn up the bass control until you hear the knee (there is a position where it goes from not-enough bass, to way too much).. try to dial it back down a bit, so that the bass is on, but doesn't dominate the tone
    3) dial the treble control to where the high-end still has some cut, but is not strident
    4) dial the mid control up (for harder attack) or down for a more compressed feel... don't over-do it. It's easy to get a smooth tone with no character. It might sound ok at home, but will get lost in the mix live
    5) set the input volume control and the OD drive control (the front panel one) at their mid-points and fine tune the amount of gain that you want.. less is more.. listen to how the EQ changes with different settings on these knobs (up higher = more low end)
    6) Turn up the OD master until the amp starts to breathe a little bit. If your amp has a bypass cap on the MV control, listen to how that affects your sound: low settings may sound harsh and lack full bottom end.. keep turning it up until you don't hear that cap doing anything (the tone stays pretty much the same), then dial it back down some. You can use the master as an additional bass/treble control this way.

HTH!

chris

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  4. moss

moss Member

Sorry Chris I don't understand #2. Bass control mid point than off ?

5. csanford

csanford Supporting Member

Sorry about that! HRM Treble and Mid controls. Edited my post.

chris