Emergency amp backup pedalboard?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by aproj, May 14, 2015.

1. aproj

aproj Member

Hey guys,

Need your advice here :) I've been thinking about putting together a small "amp backup board" to plug directly into the PA in case my amp fails. I'm going on tour in a couple of weeks and can only bring one amp, so I really need some sort of backup system in place. If you were in my position, how would you do it?

I've been hearing some good things about the Tech21 character pedals. From what I understand they have built-in cab simulation. Does that mean you can line them directly into the PA? Or do you need something like an EHX .44 Magnum too? What about a DI-box?

Thanks a lot!

2. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

I know a guy that uses the Tech21 character pedals with the .44 Magnum to run his pedalboard into a guitar cabinet for practice and backup. Sounds good.

When running direct though I, personally have never been able to get a convincing tone out of the character pedals (have not tried them all though) and I still own a SansAmp GT-2. YMMV greatly on that one though.

One direct box/cab sim I would like to try is the ADA GCS-3. It sounds pretty good on the Youtube vids I've watched (I think Burgs even did one).

A few years ago I donated a POD 2.0 to a Church I used to attend. For some unknown reason, the guitarist for their praise team approached my wife recently and handed my old POD back to her telling her to give it back to me (well....okay). Well dang, if that thing doesn't sound great. It's been years since I've played through it and I was rather shocked at how good it sounded. So, now I've been considering finding a POD Pro (the 2.0 version of that, not the XT or HD versions) or getting the POD 2.0 head to use to run direct.

3. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

character pedals can go straight to p.a. instrument input (or into d.i., then mic input). The .44 magnum outputs a speaker level, so it would need to go into a speaker cab. Having both of the above options would cover just about any situation.

4. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I incorporated an Ethos Clean into my board - it works as a clean boost to low gainer with an amp, a direct device if I have to run direct. Used to do the same thing with a Tech21 Blonde. Definitely worth having on the board, can really save your bacon.

5. guitargeezer

guitargeezer Silver Supporting Member

With all the talk about the Character pedals, I thought someone would have mentioned the Fly Rig5.

6. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

I carry a Mooer micro DI with me in case my amp dies. I also carry a Volto in case a brown out fries my board. Solid state amps are your friend on the road. Tube amps are prone to problems unless you have a tech roadie.

7. stratman79

stratman79 Member

I'd buy a Joyo American sound for $30 throw it in your lead bag and forget about it - if your amp does die just stick that at the end of the chain but its not going to happen so I wouldn't worry about it :) let alone good money on a whole board.

8. aproj

aproj Member

Cool, thanks for the input guys!

I saw a guy selling a second hand JOYO American Sound for 20 bucks, so I actually just e-mailed him and told him that I'd like to buy it. But just to check if I've understood the signal chain correctly:

Guitar --> pedalboard (including dirt pedals) --> JOYO American Sound --> PA

This is correct, right? What about

Gtr --> pedalboard (dirt) --> JOYO --> pedalboard (delay/reverb) --> PA?

Will this also work? Or will it mess up the signal in some way?

Thanks!

9. micycle

micycle Member

That's where I come in! I bought mine as soon as they hit shelves and had it modded with a switch that bypasses the cabinet simulation. That really opens it up in front of some amps that it wouldn't get along with all that well otherwise, at least without some knob twisting. Best $310 (cost of mod included) I've spent and I really like the size/shape. Easily fits in almost anything.

Before that I used the Blonde and Leeds Character pedals (with the Sansamp bypass switch) both direct and on a pedalboard with great results.

10. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

I would look at the Zoom MS50\MS100... it can be used for FX only, and also has amp sims for your backup rig

11. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

I was also going to suggest the American Tone. Delay/reverb can go before or afterward-I would start by just putting the Joyo at the end of your chain, but if you start using it to add some dirt/OD, the time based effects might sound cleaner if moved to the end.

12. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Second way is best, imo (pedals -->Joyo-->delay/verb-->???-->profit)

13. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

What is your main amp? Combo or head/cabinet?

The reason I ask is that (especially if you're using head/cabinet), some of the lunchbox sized amps sound pretty decent, are at least as easy to transport as a second board, and are in the same ballpark as far as cost. Orange and Hughes & Kettner both have some good options in this category.

Example:
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TM5H

14. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

Sounds like you need a BigSky. Get a good dose of Strymon AND a cab sim! :aok

15. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

16. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

How are those Character pedals? I really wanted to like the Fly Rig and though it's close, but meh. Not enough flexibility on the reverb and the unit was noisy, even for my tastes, which is usually forgiving about that.

I'd grab a clean/used POD HD. Easiest backup solution when a PA is available.

17. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

Tech21 rules. I currently use a Liverpool to go direct every week in church. I run it after drives but before boost, delays and verb to simulate an effects loop. Works like a charm! See my sig for a pedalboard shot.