Emerson Pots

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by connor117, Apr 12, 2019.

1. connor117

connor117 Supporting Member

Anyone using these?
    How to they compare to RS?
    I know they are both CTS, but custom specs.
    Thanks for any info...

2. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

Emersome nice pots you got there. :aok

3. VooDooClown

VooDooClown Silver Supporting Member

I've used both and I prefer the pots I've gotten from RS.

PLX, Todd Lynch and justabubba like this.
  4. sedawkgrep

sedawkgrep Supporting Member

I bought three Emerson harnesses and the pots are great - smooth, even taper, and consistent readings.

modavis99 likes this.
  5. Joegalaxy

Joegalaxy Member

I have Emerson prewired kits in all my guitars now. They sound good and I'm happy with them, but way back when, I did put RS's Super Pots in both volumes of my R4 and I do think - at least for volumes - the RS are better.

6. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

I used DiMarzio pots for years, then migrated to the RS Guitarworks when I learned they had a solid shaft, 280k pot. I like these for the volume control of my '250k' pot guitars. Everything Emerson looks solid.

7. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

I have Emerson pots in my Reverend and I like them. Good taper, low torque, and tight tolerance.

8. Mojo Shinn

Mojo Shinn Supporting Member

I had superpots in a previous build, and they were great. However, recently I put Emerson pots in a Strat, and like the taper better.

9. bulbasaur_85

bulbasaur_85 Member

I've had Emerson pots in a guitar I bought used one time. Nice taper, but I didn't like the low torque/resistance. I prefer the "regular" CTS torque feel.

Gevalt and Adagietto like this.
  10. Adagietto

Adagietto Supporting Member

While I haven't ripped low-torque pots out of a guitar just for that, I likely wouldn't ever install them. They feel low-quality or broken to me.

VooDooClown and bulbasaur_85 like this.
  11. cugel

cugel Member

It seems like there are so many pots out there now, that are probably all the same. CTS only has so many options.

If anyone wants to post a comprehensive summary including Bourne's etc I would be eternally grateful.

How does the torque on RS compare to Emerson?

12. bulbasaur_85

bulbasaur_85 Member

I feel the same way. I definitely wouldn't go out of my way to install low torque pots. You nailed it - the have that low quality vibe to it. The generic CTS stuff from mojo tone or the art of tone seems like a good solid torque feel to me.

TTHX and Adagietto like this.
  13. cugel

cugel Member

Ha
    I can only use low torque. any thing else drives me crazy

14. Grenville

Grenville Member

Have used both and like both. I also like VIPots a lot.

JLee likes this.
  15. Gevalt

Gevalt Member

CTS and an ohm meter because I think they're all below spec.

16. Adagietto

Adagietto Supporting Member

Nah, I think I have some CTS 500K pots in my stash that measure around 550K or so. That would be 10% above spec.

17. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

The reason there are many custom-taper CTS pots around, like Emerson, RS, Dimarzio, etc., is that the modern audio taper used on modern stock CTS pots is not liked by many people. It is a different audio taper than the vintage audio taper, which the custom pots try to emulate in one way or another. The stock CTS has an abrupt change in volume at some point, whereas the vintage audio taper is much smoother, so if you actually use your volume pots, you'd most likely want one of the vintage audio taper custom pots. I have some Dimarzio CTS dish-back custom taper pots that are going into one of my SG's, I haven't tried the Emerson yet but probably will in the future.
    Al

18. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I like DiMarzios, too...

19. BallisticGuitars

BallisticGuitars Supporting Member

The sweep of CTS vintage taper pots is actually closer to audio taper than linear taper. Plus, if you're getting an "abrupt change in volume", check which pots you're using for volume and tone. Linear taper pots typically work better for tone pots because the sweep is even, but the same is not exactly true for volume pots. Audio taper pots actually have a slightly more even sweep for volume control. This is because with typical passive pickups, there's not a 1:1 relationship between volume and resistance.

The primary purpose of these different brands of custom and vintage pots is to lower the percentage of variation in resistance. Good quality CTS pots have a 20% variance, better quality CTS pots will get you close to 10%, and brands like Mojotone and Emerson shoot for <7% variance. Otherwise they are standard CTS vintage taper pots.

20. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

might i make a suggestion here...

i worked in a busy repair shop for 3 years and did a lot of electronic repair. the emerson stuff is pretty good and made by CTS, yes. i did see a lot of bad pots and stuff come back faulty (different issues, shafts coming out, just stop working, cutting out, etc)

in that time i also used the allparts vintage taper (dish-back) CTS, and MOJO-tone vintage taper CTS as well. i prefer both of these to the emerson stuff by a large margin, and i always thought the sweep and taper of these two were far superior in a real-world gig setting. i also sar a much smaller (or none at all) failure rate on these while the emerson stuff did develop issues more often. might have been a freak thing i suppose, but ive always been skewed since then..

i use and really like the mojo and allparts CTS pots. (specifically, with allparts - the vintage taper CTS.)

Adagietto likes this.