Emery Microbaby/Vintage Guitar Review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ruger9, Jan 18, 2008.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Anybody got a July 2005 Vintage Guitar? They have a "low-watt amp shootout" in there (that includes the Microbaby), that I'd love to read. Emery's site lists the test, but no link. The back issue isn't available. Just curious what amps it went up against, and what VG thought of the Microbaby.

2. Londoncalling

Londoncalling Member

The Emery Microbaby and Superbaby were tested along with the Bad Cat Mini Cat, Carr Mercury, Reeves Custom 8, Simmons Retropolitan, TopHat Portly Cadet, Torres Tweed Champ, Victoria 5112 and Victoria Regal.

About the Microbaby sound they said:

Lower output than the Superbaby. More sustain at lower volume.

About the Superbaby they said:

Audio disneyland. Able to accept an amazing variety of tubes, this one will turn you into a valve connoisseur in short order as you try new bottles and discover that no two tubes sound alike. A tube lover's best alternative to a solidstate modeling amp. Want British tone? Drop in an EL-84 or EL-34. American sound? 6V6 or 6l6, And unlike modeling amps this is the real deal: point to point and glowing filaments. Unmatched tone and quite affordable compared to buying different amps just to get different power tubes.

They didn't pick a winner as such, Each amp won praise. In the end the called the Emery amps "Most versatile sounding at an organic level"

Hope that helps!

3. btmish

btmish Member

They didn't pick a winner as such, Each amp won praise. In the end the called the Emery amps "Most versatile sounding at an organic level"

Hope that helps![/quote]

Do they ever have anything bad to say about the things they review? Seems to me that EVERYTHING gets glowing reviews in VG.

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I agree, they never pan anything. Their argument is they just don't report on the stuff they don't like, but this shootout is an example. Just like kindergarten, everyone got an award... Anyway, I haven't played all the amps they tested, but the Emery was the cheapest (by far) and the most flexible. What more could you want?

5. BettyFjord

BettyFjord Member

I haven’t read the VG story but I do own the amp. I live in a flat in London and can't have - and don't want - ear-splitting volumes. But I do want a beautiful, complex, sound at reasonable volumes. And the Microbaby delivers in spades.

It’s very, very rich and harmonic with lots of clarity. The hardwood cab and Weber are a good combination for each other and produce a 'feeling' of sound when you are sitting near it. It's as though it’s radiating out uniformly and solidly rather than directionally. The voicing switch does exactly what’s promised and gives clean tones, a loose dirty sound or controlled gain. I don’t really like tone controls and the bypass on the Microbaby suits me just fine. I happily sit away at the back of the living room playing grainy blues with my children sleeping in their bedroom and my wife working nearby – all unbothered by the volume. And that’s with the tubes that came installed. You can swap tubes almost endlessly to experiment with sounds and tones. I haven’t as it happens because I’m so pleased with what I’ve got.

I've looked at lots and lots of low-wattage amps. They feel like either Champ clones or bigger amps with attenuators, power-scaling, etc. This is neither. It’s an amp designed properly around the idea of it being 1-2 watts, and for playing in quiet, intimate, spaces. It’s beautifully built and beautiful to see. The price is an absolute steal and Curt is a pleasure to deal with.

6. FFTT

FFTT Member

I hear the most praise for the Superbaby over the Microbaby mostly due to flexibility from 3 watts to 12 watts with an amazing choice of tube configurations. The Superbaby also has considerably more clean headroom
    available.
    These are recording studio quality amps.

While your ears may be telling you that the amp is not loud enough, that
    all changes once you play the amp mic'd up for recording.

The other variable to your tonal possibilities would be a selection of
    a single 8", 10" or 12" cab.

Hard to go wrong with either, but I lean towards the Superbaby overall.

7. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I guess I'll have to add the Microbaby to my "list"... I hope I live long enough to get all the way thru my "list"!

Currently I use attenuators, but have never gotten good so-called "bedroom" levels with them. They are great if you can open the amp up a bit (and I can at home), but I'm still looking for complex, beautiful tube tone at a low level, and am still wondering if it's even possible. The Microbaby sounds like it might well have succeeded. BettyFjord's post above is enough to make me want one.

The only other TUBE amps I've seen in this realm are the ax84 Firefly (DIY)- all gain, no clean. And the Songworks Little Lanilei 1/4watt, which still intriques me. I wish Swart would come out with a fractional-wattage amp... I bet that would be something to hear!

Even the Superbaby is too much power for the task I'm looking for... just like BettyFjord said, "I happily sit away at the back of the living room playing grainy blues with my children sleeping in their bedroom and my wife working nearby – all unbothered by the volume."... and that's what I want...a TRUE living room amp. One that even LOOKS like it belongs in the living room! And the Microbaby seems to fit the bill.

8. BettyFjord

BettyFjord Member

I seriously thought about the Superbaby as well, given its very positive reviews. But it would have been a mistake for me. The Microbaby is plenty loud. Beyond half on the volume I can drown out the TV and turned up it's too much.

I like the idea that it's a beautiful object as well. There's nothing wrong with working amps being rugged and functional but this isn't leaving the room, much less the flat, so it's a nice bonus that it looks good too.

Here's some poor pictures of the amp and cab and where it sits in the living room. The fingerprints on the glass cover are where my daughter tried to grab the pretty glowing tubes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Sam Evans

Sam Evans Compliance Officer Gold Supporting Member

My Sb and Mb are my only amps. I think they're both different enough to own both. I can squeeze plenty of headroom out of the Mb with the proper tube choice. Sb through my 4x12 is loud. Mb through my Emery 1x10 can get pretty loud, but sounds great at low volumes. Plenty of bottom and sparkle with 1x10. I love Emery.

EDIT - I have not been able to gt in touch with Curt lately. I'm assuming he's on vacation.

SE