Emery Microbaby

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tuj, Mar 2, 2015.

1. tuj

tuj Member

http://www.emerysound.com/Microbaby.html

Have any of you guys ever played this amp / combo? I heard a couple demos online and they sounded fantastic, but its a lot of money for a 2watt amp. That said, the sound and the tone is superb and the build quality looks great too.

What do you all think?

2. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

3. tuj

tuj Member

Actually I know the son of the guy who makes the Red Iron amps. I listened to the demos and the wood is spectacular, no doubt about that, but I wasn't finding exactly the tone I wanted to hear. Near the end of one of the demos for the Emery, this guy swaps to a different tube and THAT'S IT; that's like the ultimate tone for me when he wraps up the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkGxs9yn_3w

4. Samsun19

Samsun19 Member

Hall's Lil Devil deserves a mention.

5. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

So you have a way in to go preview, in person the red iron amps? In demo you posted he swaps in a 6v6.

Red iron also has his 5 watter which runs a 6v6.
    http://redironamps.com/amps/5-watter/

Lil mo uses a 6aq6, which is the small bottle cousin of the 6v6. Very close to same sound.

Friend has lil mo, it sits on a 2x12 pine cab. Just swapping out the preamp tube gives you a lot of range, 12ax7, 5751, 12ay7 you can totally change up character of amp. I've heard it in person, and with tube swap and OD/EQ pedal in front don't think there's a thing Emery can give you that lil mo won't. It has a norm and high gain switch, but bit has no tone stack, which to me is a plus. We ran my Kingsley page in front of it, it single tone knob was all you could ever want.

I'm not trying to put down Emery in any way, never heard one in person, know they get 5 star reviews from all that own them, but their pricey. Was just giving you a option that will probably do same thing at 2/3 the price.

Like I said if you can go preview the red irons in person, do it.

6. MHG

MHG Member

I love my Red Iron Lil' Mo and 5 Watter.

7. neils

neils Supporting Member

There is a Microbaby in the emporium right now.

I've had a Superbaby for @6 years. Great amp. Every tube makes a difference. The sound always gets compliments.

Buying a new Emery I believe can't happen soon. Kurt has some health problems and is out of contact.

Neil

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've had a Superbaby almost since Kurt started making them (the EQ bypass switch was something we worked out together). It's a GREAT sounding amp-able to go from crystal clean to near high gain raunch just by choosing the right tubes and the right settings. Having the ability to tailor the power supply with different rectifiers helps surprisingly much and isn't possible with any other micro amps I'm aware of. Plus you can get Yellowjackets to drop power to 3-4w, adapters for 6AQ5s to go down a little lower, use 6K6s for 2-3w, or even find an old Smicz TAD to drop power to less than 1w! If you can find a used Emery, that's the ticket.

H. Mac likes this.
  9. socalscott

socalscott Member

^^^This is truth
    .25 to 2 watts, based on the Trainwreck Express circuit. Goodntight cranked all the way up, not a typical ultra lo-watt.