1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Emery Sound Superbaby, Microbaby & Stagebaby

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gururyan, Jan 12, 2006.

1. gururyan

gururyan Member

I know the Emery Sound amps have been discussed in the past, I have read all the threads on them. My reason for bringing the topic back up is not only to mention the addition of the new Stagebaby, but also to note that although so many on here gave lots of praise for their Superbaby and/or Microbaby...you never hear them mentioned outside those specific threads or pictured in people's rigs. Why is that? Is it not an amp for playing?...only for noodling around with tubes? I have to say, the Superbaby looks like a dream, particularly at that price! Sure, I'd love to have the new Stagebaby, but that price takes it out of my range for what appears to be the added protection of an actual cabinet.

So, since the Emery Sound "babies" haven't been discussed recently...I'd love to hear some recent opinions on what appears to be one hell of a tone toy. I would like to build a cabinet myself with a Blue in it, but first I have to save up for the head.

Anybody still diggin' theirs?
    Anybody have clips?
    Anybody have pics?
    Anybody willing to sell me theirs with an easy payment plan?

[​IMG]

2. Damon

Damon Member

Heck of an idea that, an amp that can go from Champ-ish to Deluxe-ish, with more tube flexibility. Good on Curt.

I guess you've heard what clips I posted of my Microbaby then. Here's one more if it'll help any (it ain't great, but that ain't the amp's fault!): http://www.artifactaudio.com/micronoodles.mp3

If I didn't build my own amps now I would never sell it. Someday I'll get around to offering it here. No payment plans though, sorry ;)

edit: PS, I hope the doll finds a good home!

3. gururyan

gururyan Member

Thanks for the clip, I loved the one with the Element 32.
    What an interesting site you have, amazing...very, very, very interesting.
    I would love to have those skills, tons of time and the energy to do all that.

4. Damon

Damon Member

Thanks man - too much time maybe, I gotta get my **** in gear, all my friends are buyin' houses and makin' babies...

5. gururyan

gururyan Member

There's the problem, I did it backwards. Just this year I bought a house and had a baby.

Well, did you buy the "NOS Grab bag" for $200 when you bought your Superbaby?

6. Damon

Damon Member

Congratulations!

I didn't buy any extra tubes from Curt, but I did go on a bit of a collecting spree - 6G6Gs are pretty cheap. Check this one out: http://www.artifactaudio.com/ART6G6G.JPG . I ended up preferring 6V6es in it though, until I found some EL33s (I sent one to Curt). Then I was going to mod the Microbaby - this was before I knew my ass from a cathode - but thankfully as I learned more I decided to build afresh rather than hack.

I still think the thing looks really cool. He's got a great eye for design.

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Still digging mine. I dont' record much, so no clips, but I keep ending up with these cool tubes where I buy a pair and one craps out (like a recent NOS set of Siemens EL34s). Now I have lots of very cool single tubes, and what a great way to use them. It's the most transparent sounding amp (bringing out the sound of the guitar, tubes and speaker) ever built IMHO.

8. Sam Evans

Sam Evans Compliance Officer Gold Supporting Member

Still diggin' my Micro. Emery's work is second to none, and that cool, fat tone is to die for. My Microbaby was last on the auction block during my "gotta pay for tuition sell-off." I really wanna get one of Curt's cabs, but I'm short the coin at the moment, and word is, his amps shine the bestest thru his cabinets. Anyone ever seen a Dominatrix for sale?

I'd love to hear a Stagebaby as well. Great concept.

9. gururyan

gururyan Member

I was thinking about getting a cab made with a Blue and one with a Greenback so I could switch back and forth between cabs. For the price of his cabs I could just about get a Vox cab loaded with 2 blues.

10. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member

Any reports yet on the Stagebaby? Looks cool! Do you suppose it can do Tweed tones, and 40's style amps, but with more power?

11. rewog

rewog Member

Very cool looking little amps.
    I am tempted.
    How do they like pedals ??

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Depending on how you set them up they love pedals. They don't really need them for music room distortion, and i guess plugging in too much gain could turn things to mush, but a nice clean setup and a few pedals stacked sounds great. I love 6L6Gs...

13. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Bob, I forget which one you've got -- the Superbaby or the Microbaby? It sure sounded wicked at Tonefest last year...