Emery Superbaby owners: Fill me in

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by smilefan, Jul 15, 2005.

1. smilefan

smilefan Member

Could any Emery Sound Superbaby owners fill me in on
    their impressions of the amp? Sound? Character?
    Good house amp, or still too loud? Perceive much
    difference with tube changes?

I have heard it is very much the the Tweed Champ camp
    for sound quality. Does that mean small, splattery, and
    flatulent (sounds like my bathroom affairs).

Inquiring garage hacks want to know!

2. Sam Evans

Sam Evans Compliance Officer Gold Supporting Member

I've got a Microbaby, and I love it. Not flabby,farty or small in the least. OK, it's a little small, but at 1 watt, what do want?!;) I kinda wish I got the Superbaby so that I could use EL34s, but doing that would have defeated my volume criterion.

The amp loves low wattage, efficient speakers, and a resonant cab. There are quite a few Superbaby owners here. and I'm sure they'll holla soon enough.

BTW, Curt is building a dual PP/SE amp that incorporates the Superbaby and a higher wattage (more gain) amp. Check his site. Curt is super cool to deal with.

S

3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've owned a Superbaby sinced the EQ defeat switch was produced, my review is the first one on Harmony Central I think. I second everything Sam has to say, Curt didn't even make fun of me when I toasted the PT trying to use a rectifier tube with a broken key...

Anyway, the amp completely changes character depending on the tubes and speakers you're using. It can sound like a Champ, like a big, harmonically rich Twin or like a crunchy Marshall (and with a Yellowjacket, 1/2 of an 18w). It can be quite loud, but not hearing damaging-you won't want to play with a baby sleeping in the next room, but you can jam full volume without ear plugs. You'll want to start collecting a stash of NOS tubes so you can get all the sounds you want out of it. Compared to the Univalve-it is MUCH more transparent in showing the character of the tubes.

4. Lavely

Lavely Silver Supporting Member

I have one and really like the "pureness" of tone you get from it. As drbob says, tubes make a HUGE difference because there is very little circuitry to alter the tone. Very, very good clean tones, takes pedals really well, crunch at reasonable volumes!

Also, the SuperBaby is the first "small" tube amp that doesn't sound small to me. I have had a few others, and they all have lacked the fullness of a higher power amp. This one is the exception.

Lavely

5. Sam Evans

Agreed, Lavely. My goal was to be able to sit in front of my Microbaby at full volume w/o a wince. The amp sounds big and full like a larger amp. I'm not foooling myself though. The minute I plug in my /13, it becomes obvious that the Micro is 1w. That's fine, because I got what I wanted.

The only thing I'd like to see is for Curt to make an amp with more gain. I like his voicing choice, and I'd love to here another 12AX7 in the signal path. I want a little more "chainsaw." I don't want to change my Micro, so a completely different amp would be fine and Dandy Don. Maybe that's what the Stagebaby is all about.

S

6. wishywashyfishy

wishywashyfishy Member

I'm also interested in the Superbaby. For those of you who own one, about where on the dial does it start to distort?

Are the soundclips on his home page pretty accurate, cos I'm really diggin' the first two LP clips.

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

It depends on the tubes you're using. With a high current rectifier, low gain preamp (12AU7 or 12AY7) and a clean tube (6L6 for example) you can get almost flat out without distortion. With a high gain preamp (Mullard 12AX7), 5Y3 and 6V6 or EL34, it starts to distort pretty early (say 30%) and goes from there. I gotta say that I usually use bigger amps for clean, though, and use the Superbaby for crunch to drive-so it spends most of its time wide open with the EQ bypassed.

8. Ogre

Ogre Member

Sam, there's not an amp made that has enough gain for you, you rock and roll bigfoot!

9. Sam Evans

True. So very true.

10. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I have the Emery spotlight. Great amp. Takes pedals well and sounds organic. The speaker choice really becomes a big part of the sound with this amp. A 6v6 and a small alnico speaker will sound like a champ and a kt-66 with a 4x12 will get you early marshall tones.

11. wishywashyfishy

wishywashyfishy Member

Think I'm going to pull the trigger on a Superbaby soon. But before I do, I thought I would ask you guys if anybody here has some clips of their superbaby in action?

I've heard the clips on Curt's site and I'm really liking the tone of that little amp, but I'd kind of like to hear "outside" clips just for reference sake -- clips by real users at home and such (if that makes sense lol). So if anybody has mp3's of their superbaby I'd love to hear it!

Edit: Would love some hard rock clips of this little guy!

12. TAVD

I have one I can post but I'll need to edit out some tracks. Check back tonight. The clip is a strat with lace chrome domes, a tube od pedal and the emery amp plugged into a 70's checkerboard marshall 4x12, miked with a shure 517.

13. wishywashyfishy

wishywashyfishy Member

Awesome. Thanks, man. I'll check back!

14. TAVD