EMG Active Pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bilbal, Jun 4, 2008.

1. bilbal

bilbal Member

My newest member to the family is a Modulus Graphite Blackknife 3H with active EMGs. My question is: What is the best way to preserve the battery life of the pickups? Are the pickups "active" when the guitar jack has a instrument cable in it or are the pickups only "active" when they are switched on? Each has it's own mini-toggle to turn it on or off. Is it a good practice to always have them in the off position when not in use and the guitar to be unplugged or does it even matter?

thanks,
    Bill

2. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

When the guitar is plugged in I believe it activates them as far as a drain on the battery. EMG says you can leave the guitar plugged in night and day and you will get over 600 hours out of your pups.

I swear to you and I could be crazy, but I left my guitar plugged in once over night and my battery was dead the next day.

3. bilbal

bilbal Member

Your last comment seems to be how I remember my first Blackknife (years ago) being as well. I think I will just unplug and switch the mini-toggles to the off position anyway - it certainly can't hurt that way right? As I mentioned, aside from this newest one and my original Weir Signature Blackknife, I have never used EMGs or other active electronics. Unfortunately the Weir had to help pay for one of my back surgeries. I don't care what happens to me to, this Modulus is being buried with me - I won't make that mistake ever again - I assure you!!!

The "spiraling threads" posts are extremely entertaining by the way!!!!

4. JPF

JPF Member

The EMG DG-20 electronics in my strat are on only when the guitar input jack has a plug inserted.

5. jazzandmetal?

I hope none of your bandmates or your girl ever get mad at you and decide to impale you with your guitar. That headstock looks like a spear! Might come in handy if you have to deal with a rowdy crowd!;)

6. bilbal

bilbal Member

Funny you should say that. Years ago when I had a girlfriend and was regularly playing out she hit me with my Weir Signature which had the exact same neck as this Modulus. It didn't cut me but it hurt an awful lot. I could have killed her that night but I didn't. Nothing would be worth that although I was worried that my neck was damaged. It wasn't thankfully and she decided to leave the house. It was after a night a heavy drinking and a long gig. My guitar happened to be the only thing around and she took it and jabbed it at me. In defending myself it hit my in the wrist and left a good knot on it. So, yes the Modulus could be used as a weapon you're right. This one won't be around any deranged women so hopefully I won't have to worry about it being anything but a killer axe that is a joy to play.

Here are a couple more shots of it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

True story BTW. LOL!!!!!!

7. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

The jack completes the circuit thus switching the pickups on. With nothing plugged in you will be fine. No need to switch 'em off.

8. jazzandmetal?

Sweet guitar Bilbal! From the avatar pic it looks like it is camouflage. I guess that is the way the graphite looks in a pic.

9. bilbal

bilbal Member

Ha - I never thought of it as being camouflage but I do now. It really is a great guitar and a weapon - LOL!!!! I guess I'm golden if any jackass every rushes me on stage or if I want to "pickup" a "trashy" chick...I know, stupid joke but it's all I got!!!!

Thanks guys for the pickup answer. I kinda figured the jack completed the circuit as you say but I wasn't completely sure. I'll just be sure to not keep it plugged in. Even battery costs are sky-rocketing these days. Anything to save a buck ya know?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  10. neil99

neil99 Member

Yup, Unplug the guitar when not in use or the battery will drain.

Sweet looking guitar BTW

11. Mr. Mukuzi O

Mr. Mukuzi O Member