EMG David Gilmour or Suhr V60LP's

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by countandduke, Feb 7, 2006.

1. countandduke

countandduke Member

Can someone give me an A/b comparison of these pups??? I like to play everything from blues to fusion and I don't expect this guitar to do everything and currently I am leaning towards the Suhr's..... I know Scott Henderson is a big fan of the V60LP's and his tone certainly doesn't suck.....

Thanks for any insight....

Chris

2. John_M

John_M Member

I've not tried the Suhrs. But you're talking 2 different beasts. The EMGs are active and silent. By themselves they are quite sterile and lifeless. The EXG and SPC circuits in the DG20 are fantastic. You can dial in just the right amount of all the tonal spectrum. You can get fat jazz tones, or super clean 80's tones ala "Ship of Fools".

PITA factor - once you've got a battery in your guitar, you will always have something that is variable. Everytime something isn't right, you'll be pulling the pickguard off to replace the battery - which is a huge PITA, unless you rout and install a battery door - big modification for a pickup.

I still keep the DG20 in one of my Strats. I really like the versatility, and the tones. I actually went one step further and installed an 89 in the bridge which can cut between single and humbucker. So I get the tweener tones, and big humbucker tones. A really cool system.

That said, it sounds very different from true single coils. In fact, listen to "Big Log" from Plant, and then "Ship of Fools" for the difference. Both are cool, but really quite different.

3. DigitalTube

DigitalTube Member

I'd go with the Suhr pickups, I have them on a Suhr Standard and they'r nice.
    Had a Strat with EMG's and didn't like it at all,(but they were very clean) but everyone hears things diferent, you might like them if you use alot of effects.
    E.B.

4. Point to Point

Point to Point Member

+1 on the Suhr V60's. I've got the SSC system installed on a Classic. They are more quiet than my Humbucker's, and they are the real deal single coil pickup. NO comprimises. The SSC and John's single coil pickups are the way to go. You can quit trying to see if a stacked single coil will get you close to where you want to be. Close......these are them.

5. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

The Suhr V60LP's are some of the best strat pickups ever devised. They give you the Strat tones in big full round spades. If EMG's are your thing great. I'm probably going with 2 fralin blues and a Harmonic design S90 in my strat, but truthfully, the Suhr V60 low peaks are phenominal stratocaster pickups. They are rich full bell like and round, how you want it, not the shrill biting tone you often get from even fender custom shop pups. The EMG's are decent, hell Gilmore likes them, but if it were me, I'd go with the low peaks. I think the money is better spent in the Suhrs.

6. countandduke

countandduke Member

Great, thanks for the comments. So far, I am leaning towards the Suhr's so we'll see. The "blender" knob from Acme Guitarworks sounds like a cool idea too......

Chris

7. rockycreeker

rockycreeker Member

I'll be the odd man out - I have the DG Emg system in my main strat and I love it - it's hard to play with passive pickups after using this system - the EXG and SPC control really do make a huge difference in the sound. But each to their own flavor.

8. AdamGian

AdamGian Member

I love 'em too in one of my Strats. Some call them sterile, but I think they're versitile and sound great. I've got a few all-original vintage Strats, so I've got something to compare them to. It's just a whole different world when compared to a passive single-coil. One trick on the PITA factor: run extended battery wires through the ground wire hole in a Strat and mount the battery in between the two outside springs in the spring cavity.

9. John_M

John_M Member

As I said, they are very cool, but IMO, without the SPC and EXG, are sterile and lifeless.

Thanks for the tip on the battery - I thought about that but I use 3 springs in a V with one in the middle tho. Not sure how you are mounting yours, but there wasn't much real estate in mine. I'll take another look. My defense is to use a lithium battery that should last way longer than an alkaline, which is supposed to last quite ling itself.

10. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I had the gilmour's with teh rpewired pickguard, and sold them. Very sterile and glassy to my ears. The tonal spectrum was wide, but I couldn't make them sound the way I wanted. Of course Gilmour sounds great, so I don't know what my problem was. they have a pretty glassy tone, and I don't like glassy. I prefer the lace hot golds now.

11. JPF

JPF Member

I cannot speak from experience about the Suhr pups, though I've heard rave reviews across the board. My main Strat is a DG20-equipped early '90s model, which I've been playing for 11 years now. The comments made about harsh/glassy/sterile/cold tones I can relate to, in that some amplifiers simply do not relate well to my set up. The EXP and SPC controls really allow for a wide range of sounds, from single-coil dry stratty quack to P90 grit to humbucker raunch and power, but the choice of amp may still a critical factor for many.

They are VERY quiet, and is especially noticeable when driving a long chain of effects (one of DG's trademarks, if I'm not mistaken!). Also, they are fantastic for recording, as they seem to eat any interference and leave you with a clear, pristine signal.

When I have a practice in which Grateful Dead, ABB, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Stones, Santana, Pretenders, Jethro Tull, Tom Petty songs are going to be played, and I want to travel light, the DG Strat is the Swiss Army Knife that can do it all - as long as I have control over which amp I'm playing through.

12. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey stratoids,

I think the Suhr V60LP passive guitar pickups and the EMG DG-20 active guitar pickups are great for any Strat type guitars. I've bought a whole bunch of passive guitar pickups such as the Seymour Duncan (Hot Rails), Anderson, Dimarzio (HS-2, HS-3) and finally settled on the EMG DG-20 pickups. They sound good through lots of effects, great for recording direct or into a processor, has a lot tonal variety due to the EXG (bass & treble/cleans) and SPC (midrange/leads), noise free, and has good sustain & compression. The downside is you have to be diligent about unplugging the guitar after you're done playing since there is a 9 volt battery powering the preamp. Plugging the cord in activates the battery.

Now if I were to go passive, I would definitely seek out the Suhr V60LP pickups. John Suhr knows his stuff and has received a lot of good reviews from the people over at Huge Racks, Inc. website. I would have to try them out wired up to a guitar already. Check either pickup out for yourself on your guitar rig and see if it meets your needs.

Guitar George

13. Mike7

Mike7 Member

I can't say about the Suhr's, only played a set one time, but the EMGs I use now. If you can deal with the battery and you use pedals and long guitar cables they will give you just about any sound you will want and no noise or hum. Mine are dead quite and go from strat bell tone to smooth humbucker.