EMG H/S/S Wiring Problem??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by tfancil, Apr 14, 2008.

1. tfancil

tfancil Member

Hey guys,
    Maybe someone here can help me. I just wired up a Strat pickguard with EMG's 85/SA/SAV and I've got problems! I've wired it just like it says in the EMG wiring book for a Hum/S/S with 5-way switch, 1 volume and 2 tones, but the middle tone pot is acting like a volume pot for the neck pickup. All the pickups are correct, the volume is correct and the bottom tone pot is working with the middle pickup only and I can't get the middle tone pot to work as a tone pot. Any ideas ??
    Thanks,
    tfancil

2. Martian

Martian Member

Can you take a picture? This would help quite a bit.

3. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Sounds like a short, check to make sure the tone cap and tone pot lug are not touching the pot case except for the one grounded lug. Could be a shorted cap but that is unlikely.

4. tfancil

tfancil Member

I think you are on to something here. I'm looking at the wiring instructions now and notice that the cap is soldered onto the top of the middle pot with one wire and the other wire from the cap goes through lug 1 on the middle pot and lug 2 on the other tone pot. I wired the cap in between the 2 lugs. That's probably wrong isn't it?
    tfancil

5. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Can you post a photo?

6. tfancil

tfancil Member

That was the problem! I wired the cap in between the lugs of the 2 tone pots instead of running 1 wire of the cap into the lugs of the 2 pots and grounding the other leg of the cap to the middle tone pot! It works now, thanks for your help!
    tfancil