emg pickups for and ibanez s760qm

jazzyguy

hello there guy is there someone who has change the pickups of an ibanez guitar series for an emg ones, i just want to know if with one batterie is enough for the three pickups, its something that i really dont know.
and also i want to ask you which single coil pickup from emg recomend me for this guitar!!

ylo

EMGs draw very little current. You can use one battery for three pickups, and the battery should last a year or so as long as you unplug the guitar when not in use.

You have the option of using two batteries for 18 volts with EMG. This will give you a little more headroom. You might notice the difference if you on occasion really hit the strings very hard while strumming.

I like the EMG-SA single coils myself. EMG-S is a little brighter than the typical strat pickup, not my favorite. EMG has some others as well with slightly different tones, so it helps to have a starting reference in mind. There are other options too, for example Carvin active pickups.

jazzyguy

i didnt know that i could use two batteries and also that carvin has active pickups. i have the david gilmour emg pickups so i was thinking to get some emg single coil like that!
thanks for your advice

scolfax

Silver Supporting Member
The kit will drop right in, but you'll have to find a good spot for the 9v battery.

jazzyguy

yeah thats what i doing right know looking where i will place the 9v battery its so small in there...

jazzyguy

anybody that has change the pickups for an emgs of his series ibanez guitar that could give an advice of how to place the 9v batterie in there.....

ylo

Doesn't the Gilmour set use EMG SA? Anyhow, the standard way to place the battery is to wrap a thin layer of maybe 1/4 inch thick foam rubber around the battery to cover it up and electrically insulate the metal case from other items. You can hold the foam rubber on with a couple wraps of electrical tape or maybe rubber bands.

This makes the battery just a little bit larger than usual, then you can just place it up against the EMG circuit board (the battery is now insulated) in the cavity.

If you do not have an access cover on the back of the guitar I guess you would have to remove the entire pickguard-pickup assembly to change batteries! Maybe in this case you would want to take the guitar to a luthier and have a 9 V battery box put in the back of the guitar, something like this:
http://www.stewmac.com/Shopping?actn=search&keyword=battery+box

jazzyguy

thats right the davis gilmour has the sa pickups but i found the steve lukater single coil it seems very interesting! the space on the back of the guitar is very small i really dont know if the battery will fit, the bad thing is that in my city theres is anybody that has the luthiers skills i will have to travel to other city if i decided to get that work done,

jazzyguy

i friend of mine told that is better to sell my ibanez and get another that has the emgs or the space to put an actives pickups, but i like my guitar even when i know is not the best brand o guitar in the world. i think that is more important to learn to play and practice to become a better guitar player, thats for the tip of the spot for the battery
:)

ylo

Stew-Mac sells the battery box with a router template. Nobody wants to risk hacking up a favorite guitar, but maybe if you think about it you can figure out where the box could go and do it your self, or maybe find somebody that has good woodworking skills and a nice router. You have to have a path for the wires to go from the battery to the pickup cavity too of course. Good luck!

Trending Topics