EMG Pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Nick31, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Nick31

Nick31 Member

what are the pros and cons of those ? I heard Scott Henderson say he didn't like them because they have no capacitance.

is there some sort of technical analysis somewhere on the web ?

2. jmgman70

jmgman70 Member

They take a battery.

3. LReese

LReese Member

Pros - They take effects well, quiet. Handle long cable runs without losing output.

Cons - Battery, some say sterile sounding.

4. gerryguitar

gerryguitar Member

this has been talked about a lot here, I give you my thoughts...I think they have there place just like almost any piece of gear, in a live scenario I love them, they sound great with effects based rigs and rarely have I heard EMG's sound anything less than great, you will find purists not liking them and thats fine as well.. not everybody will like them.. I think because many metal bands use EMG's then people tend to associate them with that tone... I don't agree with this thinking, David Gilmour, Steve Lukather and even Larry Carlton have used them, and had unbelievable sounds...
    check this out and tell me it dosen't sound good....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkArP1YjlQ0

5. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Pro- they can drive your amp hard for great overdrive.
    - great for heavy riffs

Con- they will not clean up enough to do clean tones.
    -battery is neccesary
    - not very dynamic

6. gerryguitar

gerryguitar Member

I completely disagree... EMG's give great clean tones and are very dynamic.... I don't know who you are listening to... but they are not just for rock....

7. Nick31

Nick31 Member

thanks

the search engine won't look for EMG since it's 3 letters long, that's why I started another thread on this, but I tried to search beforehand

you mentioned it, I heard emgs work great with long cables, do these propreties withstand with a wireless unit ?

8. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

A lot of people say they don't care for the tone...but many of the same people say that one of their holy grail tones was Larry Carlton's "Last Night" album. One guess as to what pickups he was using then? Sometimes we just think we know what we like and don't like.

9. Nick31

Nick31 Member

I play in a dream theater type of band so I won't always use a distorted tone, I also need a pretty good clean tone. I often heard that emgs didn't clean up well, is there a reason people say that ? perhaps their pups are a little too high ?

also, other than EMG and Seymour Duncan, are there other companies that offer active pickups ? and are there other options than your regular passive or active pups ?

btw, I'm asking for a new guitar, not replacements for my actual guitar. I'll be using those with an Axe-Fx.

10. gerryguitar

gerryguitar Member

yes... but the wireless unit needs to be good....

11. gerryguitar

gerryguitar Member

"listen with your ears... not with your eyes" I was told this years ago... good advice, I love the Last Nite album by the way, great great tones.....

12. Number8

Number8 Member

I have them installed in my Floyd Rose guitar. They kick ass.

13. packermann

packermann Member

I used the EMG SA set for years. I also used their pre amps (the mid, boost and reverse phase). Overall I was pretty happy with the tones I got. I think they sound good for clean and semi-clean tones. When driven with distortion and the mid boost on, if you drove them to feedback they had this midrange howl I couldn't dial out that wasn't musical.

Eventually I decided to revert back to single coils and went with the Lindy Fralin Vintage Hots. After installing these I realized the nuances in my playing that I was missing with the EMGs. The passive pickups just ended up having a more organic vintage tone that I have stuck with. Since I liked Lindy's original pickups I ended up getting an underwound set (about 5%) of his Woodstocks. I have been very satisfied with these pickups as they nail the clarity/presence I was looking for in clean and semi-clean tones.

The Suhr pickups are very nice too. A friend of mine has a set of the LP60s (I think that's one of their models) and they sound great.

14. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Another pro about them is that you leave the bridge/string ground out of the circuit. This makes it virtually impossible to be electrocuted by the guitar.

15. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

This is true with the EMG 81, 85 humbuckers ...
    But not at all true with their single coils ... They are the cleanest of all pickups

EXACTLY Brian .... It's considered one of the best tones of all time ...

Here's Moi using 'em recently in the studio:
    Notice the note Bloom factor (a great characteristic of EMGs)
    As for not being dynamic or touch sensitive ... it's not true at all ...
    Hopefully you can hear that demonstrated in this clip:

~Sparks of Lydian~ (Mood Piece) - The Gear Page

16. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

The EMGs in the EBMM Luke are about the best ever set of pickups I have used in my life! :D

17. LReese

LReese Member

All my opinion only...

Thing is EMG's can sound good with the right signal chain (I've only had experience with the SA's - never delved very far in the humbucker realm, just no real interest to pony up the dough). I unfortunately have not learned exactly what that is. :)

I saw Gilmour on HDTV Friday night (Believe it was the recent concert released on DVD) He had pulled out the CAR strat with the EMG's. That Strat on the Pulse concert sounded incredible, but it in this concert sounded rather bland to me. The Black Strat sounded much better.

I certainly wish I could make them work better for me - IMO if you have the $, Suhr BPSSC and a set of Antiquity II/SSL-1/equivalent if the way to go (or better yet a Suhr with SSC installed - that's the direction I'm going). I like the Lace Hot Gold, too. It retains the single coil character to my ears.

18. buchla300

buchla300 Member

A tip:
    if you put:
    EMG site:thegearpage.net
    in google, you can search with 3 letters....

19. brentrocks

brentrocks Guitar Hack/Player Gold Supporting Member

that guitar sounds great clean!!!

i like the EMG for high gain rock/metal

20. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

I think they sound best with channel switching amps or pedals for overdrive but not so "normal" with a vintage amp cranked. As far as the clean sound I think it does it very well, just not passive sounding.