EMG SA Pro- Series David Gilmore pickup set

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by telejammer, Apr 1, 2008.

1. telejammer

telejammer Member

I just put this set of EMG's in my American Deluxe Strat tonight and WOW! They are so much better than the SCN S-1 pickups. There is a mid boost and expander pot prewired on a pearl pickguard, with 3 SA pickups, clear and full ,with lots of tone range. These really woke up my Strat.

2. Cosmic

Cosmic Member

Ive been wanting to check those things out. I have an old '83 Fender Elite Strat that is active and had the precursor to the Lace Sensor pickup. Anyways, it's crapped out and I ma having trouble finding anyone who can fix it back to stock. So I had considered putting another active set on since I already have a battery plate access on the back. This DG20 set was one I was looking at pretty hard.

3. telejammer

telejammer Member

I also have an 83 Strat Elite, Natural finish with maple neck, took out the original pickups and have had EMG SA's in it for about 10 years now and love them, they really sound and very quiet. It seems the EMG's just bring out all the little nuances that I never heard before, I've had many Strats since I bought the Elite new, but its one of my favorite guitars, I'll never sell it.

4. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey telejammer,

I'm glad to hear you're happy with your EMG DG-20 pickup set in your '83 Fender Strat Elite. I have the DG-20 pickup set in my '87 Fender Japan Strat and it covers all of my Strat single coil tones for what I do. I've been using mine for the 14 years and love what it does.

Guitar George

5. Cosmic

Cosmic Member

That is good to hear dude. I really wanted to keep my Elite in a stock configuration. But this is not the first time the electronics in it went down. Last time, about 15 years ago, the luthier cautioned me on how hard it was for him to find some of the original parts. I imagine it may be near impossible now.

Plus, all in all the DG20 is simply a better version of what the Elite trailblazed in its time. So, it would still be in the spirit of the guitar to put a DG20 in it.

One question -- how did you mount your 9 volt battery? I was thinking of extending the wiring and mounting it in the existing battery cavity on the Elite vs. keeping it under the pickguard like EMG instructs. Do you know if the EMG wiring is long enough to accomplish this or should I plan to extend the wiring? If I go the EMG route of course.

6. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

7. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Member

I've got the DG20 pickups in my new "Gilmourized" partsocaster and they sound magnificent. I've actually had them for a couple years, I took them off my old CAR Strat to put in the partsocaster.

I was impressed from the word "Go". Previously I had a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails in the Bridge, and Vintage Rails in the Neck and Middle positions, and while I liked the way they sounded, especially the Hot Rails really screams with high gain, it didn't really sound like a "Strat" anymore, and I missed the real Strat sound. I put the EMGs in and strummed a big E chord - Bam!! There it was.

The SPC Presence control really fattens the sound up, good for rocking out, while the EXG control is great for cleans (I rarely use it with distortion). The only thing really missing is a tone control, which I don't miss that much.

8. j_hotch

j_hotch Member

In my experience, the attached wiring harness allows for the battery to be mounted almost anywhere in the body of the guitar. I mounted mine all the way in the tremolo cavity (I only use the two outermost springs, so there was room in between for a battery clip) and only had to extend the battery leads three inches, at most.

BTW: this is the battery clip I found and it's perfect for the job, IMHO

9. telejammer

telejammer Member

On my Strat elite I used the routed cavity on the back for battery placement, on the American Deluxe Strat I mounted the battery under the pickguard, I have the SA's in the Elite and the DG-20's in the Deluxe, both are great sounding with these pickups.

10. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

+! for EMG Pickups, I have a set of EMG Steve Lukather Model pickups.
    They sound great and totally Rock's...