EMG SPC and EXG...anyone use anything like these and how do you like them?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pacomc79, Apr 16, 2008.

1. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

I know they work with passive pickups as well and Townsend has an SPC on his strat I'm just kind of interested in how they work, how they wire in and if they replace the regular tone controls that kind of thing. Do they sound good? Is it worth buying and trying?

2. rich-96db

rich-96db Member

I've got both. The SPC is amazing with EMG's single coil pickups. I've yet to find a usable tone out of the EXG. Yes, they can replace the tone contols. See the pic of my guitar below.

[​IMG]

3. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

cool, so you can just wire up a master volume and master tone and use say the SPC for that... Nice.

I just like the fatness that Pete gets with his cleans into this Vibro King so the SPC probably helps without being over the top like Claptons. I would imagine it thickens the tone from the powerbridge as well. I won't worry about the EXG then it sounds like somekind of EQ that sucks out the mids if it's got too much bass or something, I think that'd work better with humbuckers.

Thanks. I guess I can hook one up on my master tone and still have a blender pot.

4. Starsailor

Starsailor Member

I've got the EMG DG-20 system on my strat. It's really ideal for the David Gilmour Pulse tones. I absolutely love the SPC control, what a sweet mid boost. I agree with rich-96db, the EXG isn't that great. I use it sparingly and only when the SPC is all the way up just to add some thickness on the bottom end.

5. j_hotch

j_hotch Member

I have the DG20 setup also, and I have been really pleased. The SPC mid boost gives one a great faux-humbucker sound. As others have mentioned, the EXG has a more limited range of use. But it is very good at sparkling up a muddy tone, which it does by scooping out the mids and slightly boosting the top and low ends. Of course, scooping out too many mids gives you a thin sound so use it sparingly. Interestingly, having both of the controls cranked up at once gives one a kind of "super-strat" sound. High output, but still very strat - like.

To answer your question regarding installation, the EMG site has great documentation and I have had really great service from their support staff via email.

6. jay42

jay42 Member

They do? Is there a link on Townshend's use? I've got both with SA's. I've tried other mid-boosts with passive pickups, but never liked the center frequencies as well. I like the EXG for clean tones, though I miss a global passive tone control.

7. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

His tech had a video of the red strat on Youtube when he was talking about it.

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/equip-fender-ecstrat.htm

It may actually be an acoustic preamp I was thinking of but since he used to use the clapton TBX circuit I would think he'd like the SPC anyway. It's about half the total output of the TBX so it wouldn't get muddy like the TBX.

It definately is tough to get the center especially if you don't have another global tone control.

8. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey pacomc79,

I have the EMG DG-20 pickup set installed in my '87 Fender Japan Strat. It works well for my musical needs. I found the SPC control a nice asset to fatten up the SA pickups for more midrange when I use it for rock rhythms & leads. The EXG is nice for giving treble/bass for clean tones. I find that having to set the EXG module on different setting is a bit distracting and I'm considering changing to EMG S pickups, wire up a standard 25k tone control, and the SPC in the bottom tone control.

If you intend on using the SPC module with passive pickups, you're going to have use the EMG PA-2 to convert from high impedance to low impedance to work with the SPC module. I would e-mail EMG about your wiring setup and have them explain how to get your desired pickup configuration to work with the SPC module.

I also have the EMG T pickup/SPC module installed on a '97 Hamer T-51 guitar that sounds really good. I installed the SPC in place of the tone control and use it for that midrange boost for rock rhythms & lead as well.

Guitar George

9. trpullen

trpullen Silver Supporting Member

I used the Master Vol / Master Tone / SPC on my Fenders.

10. geetarman

geetarman Member

I use to have both with a EMG SA set and found the SPC control far more useful added nice humbucker like fullness to the singles.

11. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I have both wired to 81/SA/89 pickups, along with a Fishman Powerbridge tremolo w/the Fishman Power preamp, also integrated with a Roland GK-3 kit synthesizer driver. I am still learning all of these controls, but so far two things standout, the EMG's are hot and I haven't found a bad tone in the bunch.

TheGrooveking

[​IMG]

12. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

WOW ... That's one hell of an axe ... Dig everything about it ...
    What a great set up ,,,As I swear by EMG's and GK-3 pickups...
    What brand is that... luv those kind of headstocks

My latest clip by the way ... is something you could pull off easily with
    a wonderful axe like that using a Roland Guitar Synth....
    Check it out if you're curious:

Shades of Toots ... - The Gear Page